Autopsy Autopsy vs Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

I respect the analysis, but I fundamentally disagree with it everytime I see it. Ziebell, Shiels (who we rookied for free), Goldstein (approaching, if not falling down the cliff) and McDonald make up the >150 games players. Aside from Goldstein, these players have been the long-term problem with our list.

Are Adelaides Walker, Sloan, Laird and Smith ...

That comparison says a fair bit ...
Yeah, imagine if Wardlaw, Sheezel, Thomas, Larkey and LDU were playing next to Tex, Sloane, Laird and Smith.

We would be a finals side. Suddenly our 19 year olds aren't under pressure to be the best on every week.

Phillips had at least three turnovers going inside 50 that led to opposition goals.
Yea he did. But two weeks ago we were lauding his performance. Young. Uneven. Stevo drives me nuts some days. He is a beautiful kick for goal but today streams down field and kicks it straight to opposition on their own. Result goal. So 2 goal
Turnaround. Next gets a 50 against him and they score again. Momentum killlers. Agree with most backline critics today. Luke horrible and Corr the same. Has to be change.

I respect the analysis, but I fundamentally disagree with it everytime I see it. Ziebell, Shiels (who we rookied for free), Goldstein (approaching, if not falling down the cliff) and McDonald make up the >150 games players. Aside from Goldstein, these players have been the long-term problem with our list.

Are Adelaides Walker, Sloan, Laird and Smith ...

That comparison says a fair bit ...
Great post. 100% agree. I'm so tired of this age/experience debate. If we had half decent geezers we'd be gunning for finals. The reality is, we don't. And thats a problem.

Age and experience =/= a great team, unless those players are actually good and not well passed it.

Just dropping by to say your first half was quite impressive..you seemed to win all the centre clearances and looked fast. 2nd half your younger guys tired and lost that burst from the pack and we kept going but we are a bit further ahead of where north are at in the rebuild phase. I watched for and was impressed with sheezel, wardlaw and larkey live. Good luck for the rest of the year and be excited for what is to come...lots of young talent..get games into them

I wasn't to upset with the first half, we were competitive and had some wonderful moments, but it mixed in with a number of terrible turnovers that cost us dearly, I think on two or three occasions Derm called them a 12pt turnaround. and that was probably the biggest difference in that half.

The second half was disappointing, we didn't apply any pressure, allowed the Crows to dominate through the middle and score a number of embarrassingly easy goals. It was the first time in six weeks I felt we took a real step back.

I think now is the time to give a few of our youngster playing in the VFL an opportunity at the top level, I don't think the older guys are giving us any positive direction and in some cases are having a negative impact on team performance. It's time for change.

I never expected to win, but I expected better than that.
Skills and effort were putrid.

I'm so close to done at this point. Why do we bother watching this s**t every week?

Anyway, see yas next week.
Why? It's not going to change until aspects of the team do.

Last edited:
I surprisingly only had two pints watching that last 2 and a half quarters.

So many missed or ineffective tackles. The continual handballing into trouble was frustrating and then it became almost comical. The ball movement in the backline was shite.

Good to see LDU back. Wardlaw is a player.

Our midfield were shocking after half time.
I know. However, footy is very unforgiving when you run out of legs/puff. That’s an area we are guaranteed to improve on - when our mids mature. Our two best/most exciting mids (LDU & Wardlaw) suffered most in that regard. The Crows mids just kept on grinding. Fox Footy showed the pressure ratings half way through the second and again in the third. The difference was overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can absolutely guarantee the Logue + McKay combo will function more than fine by getting CORR MCDONALD and Ziebell out of the team. Permanently.

I don't understand why our club has a different set of standards and does not drop players for poor form. It's unbelievable.

I will blow a gasket and fist my own ass to death if MCDONALD/CORR/ZIEBELL do not get dropped or moved out of that fuu**king backline.

It's clearly not working. It's just going to slow up our development for 2024. Put Ziebell at half forward. Drop CORR and MCDONALD, they're liabilities. Give Dawson a run of 4 games. Shambles he hasn't had a look in. He can't be any worse.
Sounds like you will have to fist your own ass, They won't get dropped

They still win, but * me is it that hard to umpire with consistency.
Yes they still win - almost no doubt about it but decent, even-handed umpiring would certainly have led to a better contest as opposed to the game basically being run out with no heart as it was. I know we look at the game with one eye however, today, and in plenty of other games this season (and forever) the rub of the green goes one way all day. Other teams cop it too. It was pretty obvious today that the umpires were playing to the crowd calls - it was West Coast and Margette or whatever his name was who used to gift them free kicks week in week out.

I don't want soft frees or favouritism. I don't want evener-uppers or special treatment for stars.

All I want, and I'm sure any real football fan would agree, is to have consistency of decisions and a minimum of errors from those officiating so that the team wins or loses on its' own merit.

Today's umpiring performance was a disgrace and although North were very much unlikely to be in the hunt for a win, the umpiring made the unlikely impossible.

It's probably a hard job to be an umpire but the crew on the field today were simply going with the crowd and that is not bloody good enough.

Great post. 100% agree. I'm so tired of this age/experience debate. If we had half decent geezers we'd be gunning for finals. The reality is, we don't. And thats a problem.

Age and experience =/= a great team, unless those players are actually good and not well passed it.

It's like saying we have the same TPP, so we have no excuse. Being able to front load the 'experienced' players like McDonald and Corr on long contracts tells you everything you need to know.

The only benefit is that we've likely been able to do the same for Simpkin and Larkey ...

It’s very easy to lose sight of the really good stuff when the team tires and gets overwhelmed. This isn’t soccer. You can’t just go defensive and hold on. Once a team tires, they’re toast,m - especially, if the opposition doesn’t tire.

The benefit of our last few years, means I can largely watch games without emotion. Don't really get angry or overreact anymore when we get beaten.

The Crows show the benefit of being able to work with same regime for 3-4 years while rebuilding. Had the majority of their current group playing together for most of that time and added serious quality in Dawson and Rankine. They're skilled, tough, hard-working and have a seriously lethal forward line. Only real weakness at this point is winning away from home.

The instability and constant change we've had over the same period has cruelled us. Once Clarko's back on board, we can hope that we finally get an uninterrupted run at it.

Backline has serious issues, but JZ, Corr and McDonald will all be gone by the end 2026. Need to keep McKay and need to find more quality around him Logue and Bergman. Hopefully Jacko Archer and Goater will nail roles going forward. And make it a priority over the next couple of off-seasons.

Had some fantastic moments in the first half when our pressure matched theirs. But fell apart from about 5 minutes left in the 2nd.

LDU had some moments that showed his class and will benefit from the run. Wardlaw and Sheez are special.

It’s very easy to lose sight of the really good stuff when the team tires and gets overwhelmed. This isn’t soccer. You can’t just go defensive and hold on. Once a team tires, they’re toast,m - especially, if the opposition doesn’t tire.

Problem is there's no excuse for our side to be tiring earlier than that Adelaide team, let alone 3/4 of the way through the second quarter. They're younger and played four proper quarters just six days ago. It doesn't hold up at all.

If the likes of Wardlaw or Sheezel flag a bit it's one thing, but it's the whole team that seemingly just run out of energy two quarters into games. Something just isn't right there.

Gotta sort the backline.

If we're going to be a good side even away from home, you need a backline that can create and take the heat when it comes.

We don't have that at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back