Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Cats Round 19 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually find colemans 68% tog more concerning than either. he really needs to work on his tank and capacity to run out games
Is it a common occurrence or a one off? I noticed there were a few times where he was stuck on the bench because our defence was under the pump, plus the smaller defenders usually end up with more bench time in rotations since Andrews and Payne play near 100%.
I am not in the camp that believe Coleman has a fitness issue.
His low 68% TOG yesterday could be they preferred the other 4 players out on the field, or he just had trouble getting on the ground at stages.
Colemans TOG average for the last 4 games was 80%.
As dlanod mentioned Andrews and Payne basically stay on the ground all the time.
That leaves himself and the others that need a break.
Yesterday TOG were Lester 85%, Wilmot & Starch 84% and McKenna 82%
If Fagan is going to persist having a winger dropping back in defense late in the game (he has all year) than utilize Coleman for this job.
That may bring his TOG up to around 85% which he should easily be able to achieve.
The Lions play better overall and have a much better attacking game when Coleman is on the field.
I would rather an actual defender being loose in defense than any other player.
However, doing this will require all 7 defenders on the ground for the last 2-3 minutes of each quarter which should be manageable.

Last edited:
I’m tired of hiding all the social media posts about our massive choke last night🙄 can’t wait to get back to winning again next weekend!

Geelong doing a Melbourne

Won't be easy next week
They'll smell blood as well.

Whatever gameplans and strategies we have in our head that seems to prevent us winning games that we should be winning we need to dispose of and play like we're the best and want to prove it.

We've created a lot of mental scars that we can excise by drawing the line in the sand and not playing like we have something to protect any more.

Cats back into Premiership winning form, next Saturday afternoon is going to be darn tough.

Payne to Hawkins, has Lester got the ability to go to Cameron so Andrews can be free to play as the main interceptor?

We were very good at times on Friday. Need to keep that in perspective. Got jumped, recovered and then should have won. Hurts that bit more given we could be a game off Port, but top two is still there if we are good enough.

The constant switching back and forth trying to spread the opposition set up looks good when it comes off. However, when the ball gets turned over, we get caught out more than other good teams given we carry some slower players who are not able to work back as quick.

It is beyond me how Ah Chee doesn’t get a regular game, at the very least as sub. He’s a versatile asset with a great mark. He needs to come in and stay in for an extended run.

I’d go with:
In: Ah Chee, Dunkley, Sharp
Out: Gunston, Lester, Lyons

Zorko lucky to survive but his foot skills keep him in to pick through the Cats set up. Gunston maybe stiff, but too many times wasn’t able to apply pressure to the Dees players. Rayner to play that role to be brought into the game more as others have said. Lester unlucky too, and wouldn’t be annoyed him keeping his spot. Gawn played like a leader, and a man possessed, I doubt any ruck in the comp would have stopped him Friday so Big O stays in whose generally been serviceable.

IMO making more than three changes in any given week isn’t ideal given the impact to the team’s cohesion.

Going to be tough, even with the Gabba advantage. For me, Rayner has looked damaging the past 3 or so weeks without Gunston there. Gunston just doesn't add anything to what had been working so well.
Lester has been in terrific form, just didn't have a great game so he should stay.
I think Berry has to go for a rehab spell, so in the interests of limiting changes, I'd like to see Gunston and Berry out, Dunkley in for Lyons if ready.

Have a bad feeling about this one, could see us dropping under Melbourne if they get a poor crows turn up.

If you watch the last quarter you will see Gawn dominating the match. The last time we played Melbourne Gawn dominated Fort early but Fort went over the top of him in the second half.

Having Fort as the sub was a no brainer for me. A completely fresh Fort would have halved many of the contested marks , hit outs to advantage and clearances Gawn had in that last quarter. Dev is a battling AFL player. Nothing more.

Geelong do not have a Gawn so I am not sure we need Fort in the side this week.

Rayner and Berry go out for me.

Dunks and Ah Chee in

Defensive run has always been our Achillies heel. We need to invest in defensive runners. Our 3 best are Dunkley, Robertson and Madden. They all need to play if fit.
Dunkley obviously plays if fit, Robertson always seems a game away from being dropped but I love him in the side for the balance it provides re attacking and defensive mindset. I am a fan of Madden but I don't see him getting selected barring injury to a Coleman/Wilmot/McKenna.

Harry Sharp on a wing is the other elite+ runner we have at our disposal.

The poor runners who could/should be under the gun are obvious as well > Gunston, Lyons, Rich.

Also no playing players hindered and playing well below their best as seemed to be the case for Zorko and Berry against the Demons... could have made all the difference (1 Point) if Dev had started instead of one of those 2.. albeit in hindsight.

Tonight's set up doesn't give Rayner a chance. He's trying to stay out of hippy, Joe and gunston's space. Just doesn't work.

Get rid of Gunston and Rayner goes ok.
100% Raynor is a better third tall anyway. Gives a stronger contest in the air and is very creative and strong on the ground and brings other forwards into the game.
Gunston either marks it (occasionally) or the ball gets rebounded at speed. He cannot bend over to pick the ball up and can only move in straight lines. A few times in the last quarter he was exposed badly as he can't compete when the ball hits the ground.
I think Raynor and Cameron's form have suffered for Gunston's inclusion and the forward line is not functioning as well.
Ah Chee is a similar size but is so much more versatile, can run, good defensive side to his game, stronger in the air, can go to a wing or to defence also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In - Dunkley (if fit) - Ah Chee and Dev Robertson.

Out - Lyons - Berry and make Zorko sub.

If Dunkley - Ah Chee and Robertson play entire match last night we don't lose.

Gunston needs to perform every week for me to stay in side. He won't get dropped because he kicked 3 goals last night.

Rich I think is 25/26th best player now. Can't carry his lack of speed or accountability.
My problem with Gunston is that when the ball is kicked to him (which happens a lot), it is all duck or no dinner. If he doesn't mark it, he is an absolute liability on the ground and cannot compete at all with any afl standard footballer and as a result, we get hurt badly the other way.
Fagan is compromised in his judgement due to his personal history with him. Gunston circa 2016, yes. Gunston 2023, no.

Hope the players and coaches aren't as shellshocked as I am. Will do well to get up again in time for this'un.
I think the opposite if that doesnt fire up the players then what will? We should come out breathing fire. Gabba will be nearly full, love the twilight time slot. I hope Fagan puts that picture of Melksham celebrating up on the wall or something.

Think people are going to be bitterly disappointed if they’re expecting Gunston to be dropped again for this game.

Would love to see the 2 tall + Cal/Cam as third tall set up again. Would’ve loved to see it Friday night too, but alas it simply won’t happen, this week anyway.

Last edited:
My problem with Gunston is that when the ball is kicked to him (which happens a lot), it is all duck or no dinner. If he doesn't mark it, he is an absolute liability on the ground and cannot compete at all with any afl standard footballer and as a result, we get hurt badly the other way.
Fagan is compromised in his judgement due to his personal history with him. Gunston circa 2016, yes. Gunston 2023, no.
Gunners is cooked in terms of what is required in today's game. Exhibit A 12 games vs 1 game.

What keeps him in is delusional loyalty and the fact that he could bob up and kick a goal.

But he's tried really hard to get himself back and full credit to him. Let's hope the coaches watch last night's vision with no prejudice.

Whoever's idea it is to throw him in the backline when we're under the pump should be sacked. He's clearly a liability there as soon as it hits the deck which it does because he's not marking it. To see him lining up on a wing at the centre clearance against someone who can zip straight past him is likewise a bit deflating.

I feel for him because he knows what to do but just doesn't have the legs to do it any more.

All this is probably hot air . We're going to take him down with the ship.

Gunners is cooked in terms of what is required in today's game. Exhibit A 12 games vs 1 game.

What keeps him in is delusional loyalty and the fact that he could bob up and kick a goal.

But he's tried really hard to get himself back and full credit to him. Let's hope the coaches watch last night's vision with no prejudice.

Whoever's idea it is to throw him in the backline when we're under the pump should be sacked. He's clearly a liability there as soon as it hits the deck which it does because he's not marking it. To see him lining up on a wing at the centre clearance against someone who can zip straight past him is likewise a bit deflating.

I feel for him because he knows what to do but just doesn't have the legs to do it any more.

All this is probably hot air . We're going to take him down with the ship.
It probably is the case but I hope that our assistant coaches feel empowered to give Fages honest brutal feedback re their opinion on where Gunston is with his footy at the moment.

Ah Chee or Robertson over Gunston is a no brainer for me.

We all saw what happened in the Prelim last year, the Cats absolutely mauled us with their run and gun footy(they know it works) so we know what is coming Saturday afternoon, I pray we have learnt from that massacre at the G.

It probably is the case but I hope that our assistant coaches feel empowered to give Fages honest brutal feedback re their opinion on where Gunston is with his footy at the moment.

Ah Chee or Robertson over Gunston is a no brainer for me.

We all saw what happened in the Prelim last year, the Cats absolutely mauled us with their run and gun footy(they know it works) so we know what is coming Saturday afternoon, I pray we have learnt from that massacre at the G.

We have a bunch of labeled leaders in the team.

Wonder how much of selection is influenced by their feedback? Gotta figure they have insight into what's needed on field.

100% Raynor is a better third tall anyway. Gives a stronger contest in the air and is very creative and strong on the ground and brings other forwards into the game.
Gunston either marks it (occasionally) or the ball gets rebounded at speed. He cannot bend over to pick the ball up and can only move in straight lines. A few times in the last quarter he was exposed badly as he can't compete when the ball hits the ground.
I think Raynor and Cameron's form have suffered for Gunston's inclusion and the forward line is not functioning as well.
Ah Chee is a similar size but is so much more versatile, can run, good defensive side to his game, stronger in the air, can go to a wing or to defence also.

I think Ah Chee will sacrifice his game more for the other forwards than Gunston will. Similar to Linc.

I think Ah Chee will sacrifice his game more for the other forwards than Gunston will. Similar to Linc.
Ah Chee will sacrifice his game 100% every time he goes out there. So when you've got players like Daniher , Cameron ,Rayner and Gunston trying to justify his spot we can afford ,and need , someone else who will do all the team things , act as decoy and lock it in like crazy.

Just on Gunston again. I would love to know, but I guess we never will whether Jack would’ve come back in last week against WCE, if Cal never picked up that concussion late the previous week. Still reckon the best we’ve looked over the entire ground, was that Richmond game the week prior and should run it back at some stage.

Think people are going to be bitterly disappointed if they’re expecting Gunston to be dropped again for this game.

Would love to see the 2 tall + Cal/Cam as third tall set up again. Would’ve loved to see it Friday night too, but alas it simply won’t happen, this week anyway.
Rayner may get pushed to sub and Ah Chee could take his spot. That's more likely compared to dropping Gunston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back