Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just read Cal's top 20, in regards to Eagles, they will the split their pick. They desperately need multiple players and then there is the go home factor with Reid. Whoever gets pick 1 they take Reid. Then its over to North Melbourne, they will get Sanders (6 ish) under the indigenous NGA from the AFL so do they go Curtin then Sanders then a forward with pick 17?
Who do we take then? McKercher or Watson ? Both look the goods. Then Macabe.
If that's the case I would take Watson.

İf Harley is saying no to the eagles then we need to start getting creative and get that pick 1 from them. İt's not un-doable ( for a lack of a better word). I'm still not high on duursma, it seems like many wiry half frwds have come and gone from the system in years gone by without much impact and I've got him in that group
Harley
Watson
Curtin
Caddy
Mckercher
One or two of these would be perfect.

Now that is truly impressive, unlike the clip of him ploddingly accumulating possessions without doing anything noteworthy or effective.

How much of this is in his game though?
That kind of pace and finishing would be ideal on the outside, with an option to rotate him through the inside.
Still not taking him with out first, but that kind of breakaway-finish is something to think about later in the draft.

İf Harley is saying no to the eagles then we need to start getting creative and get that pick 1 from them. İt's not un-doable ( for a lack of a better word). I'm still not high on duursma, it seems like many wiry half frwds have come and gone from the system in years gone by without much impact and I've got him in that group
Harley
Watson
Curtin
Caddy
Mckercher
Not un-doable = Feasible

Anyone who loses colby to tassie will get well compensated. I dont see it as a risk for us given how young our list is. Might be different if we were in or near the window for a flag.

Sorry, but I refuse to believe the AFL will allow us to benefit from this. Other clubs yes, but not us.

Harley
Watson
Curtin
Caddy
Mckercher
I'm a little confused here. In the highlighted paragraph McClure says HR has told WC not to draft him and then in the very next paragraph he say's that HR hasn't done so 😂
Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 8.40.12 pm.png
Here's the full article

I'm a little confused here. In the highlighted paragraph McClure says HR has told WC not to draft him and then in the very next paragraph he say's that HR hasn't done so 😂
View attachment 1744487
Here's the full article
Yeah, what I think he's trying to say (not very well) is that the message to the Eagles isn't coming directly from Harley himself, rather via other channels

Sounds like McClure is backtracking a bit in the clip below

İf there's smoke.....
Look, I think McLure has definitely been told about Harley 's preference but if wce call his name out he'd be more than happy to ply his trade there for at least a few years . I'd love to do a trade swap with them and get a hold of Harley , he has all the traits of a high impact player in multiple positions. More Luke Hodge than dusty though .

I’ve suspected all year that Watson might slide due to his height as clubs historically just don’t pick guys his size top 5 and prioritise mids and key position players. This is the second article in the media this week that has him at 7 now. Wonder whether we’d be a chance of grabbing him in addition to our pick 3 if we traded for GC’s first pick. That would be the perfect outcome

I’ve suspected all year that Watson might slide due to his height as clubs historically just don’t pick guys his size top 5 and prioritise mids and key position players. This is the second article in the media this week that has him at 7 now. Wonder whether we’d be a chance of grabbing him in addition to our pick 3 if we traded for GC’s first pick. That would be the perfect outcome
If watsons there at our pick i would absolutely take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McClure better be right about his vague Reid reporting because the 18 year old is get pilloried for it
Reids words have been twisted. In an interview with Cal, he said his a family man and would come home via trade early or once his contract was up if he was drafted away from home.

Sounds like McClure is backtracking a bit in the clip below

A clickbait article writing journalist expressing remorse to a kid that he has created clickbait for whilst also professing that the same kid should get used to having these things happen to him is hilarious to me.
What a weasel- I truly hope players don't forget which journos manipulate their lives for clicks.

McClure better be right about his vague Reid reporting because the 18 year old is get pilloried for it

Apparently there’s a Harley Reid team promoting him like hell so it goes with the territory.

I’m quietly wondering if clubs will be weighing the pros of his clear talent against the cons of the obvious self promotion

Apparently there’s a Harley Reid team promoting him like hell so it goes with the territory.

I’m quietly wondering if clubs will be weighing the pros of his clear talent against the cons of the obvious self promotion
The team is his uncle and manager lol
No club is going to count family and a manager advocating for him. Every player has that 😂

Harley could easily just put a message up on his social media saying he'd be happy to go anywhere. End of story, all the heat goes back on the media that made it up.

But if he's reportedly upset about it being reported but seemingly is making no effort to correct it (either himself or through his representation) then reading between the lines, it's probably true and he's just not liking the negative attention its bringing.

Harley could easily just put a message up on his social media saying he'd be happy to go anywhere. End of story, all the heat goes back on the media that made it up.

But if he's reportedly upset about it being reported but seemingly is making no effort to correct it (either himself or through his representation) then reading between the lines, it's probably true and he's just not liking the negative attention its bringing.
Or the media could get their sources on record upfront and not pressure kids into managing expectations in the media.

To be fair to the kid - he's 18 and not media trained. More likely he'd be feeling frazzled at this kind of negative attention already surrounding him for no reason.

Or the media could get their sources on record upfront and not pressure kids into managing expectations in the media.
Yeah the footy media definitely needs to improve their integrity and practices, no question about that. But I'm talking about this situation as it currently stands with all the warts. If it's not true then he has the power to end it at any point with one post.

Back