Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah the footy media definitely needs to improve their integrity and practices, no question about that. But I'm talking about this situation as it currently stands with all the warts. If it's not true then he has the power to end it at any point with one post.
If he comes out and says that it is basically draft tampering and he's going to cop even more s**t. Best for him to keep his mouth shut as he is doing.

If he comes out and says that it is basically draft tampering and he's going to cop even more s**t. Best for him to keep his mouth shut as he is doing.
It's not draft tampering to refute claims that you've told a club you don't want to go there and that you'd be happy to be drafted to any club.

Yeah the footy media definitely needs to improve their integrity and practices, no question about that. But I'm talking about this situation as it currently stands with all the warts. If it's not true then he has the power to end it at any point with one post.
It wont stop the media at all though. Its just another thing to report on and they will find something else later.

Really? I thought he came out yesterday saying the opposite.
He was on with King and Cornes this morning. Said that he's not relayed anything to West Coast about where Harley wants to play.

But then said it's not because West Coast are a poor team at the moment, rather that they're in Western Australia, that Tongala is 3 hours from the Melbourne Airport etc. It was a train wreck from him, I can't believe he went on tbh.

He was on with King and Cornes this morning. Said that he's not relayed anything to West Coast about where Harley wants to play.

But then said it's not because West Coast are a poor team at the moment, rather that they're in Western Australia, that Tongala is 3 hours from the Melbourne Airport etc. It was a train wreck from him, I can't believe he went on tbh.
Sounds like Harley needs a new manager. Can't believe that he's with Connors Sports Management. They are so professional.

Commentary on Luke McCabe:

"There are mixed opinions on McCabe: some recruiters love him, with his temperament a strength of his, but others are not so sure, particularly given he was solid rather than outstanding in the carnival..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the hysteria last couple days is funny it goes both ways with any club from any state. Jackson and JHF did over Melb clubs some would say ……… if a kid isn’t 100% onboard isn’t it best they make it known upfront? At least it gives WC the opportunity to way up all their options of whether they still pick him or let’s have an auction come Nov! Media need to leave the kid alone it’s his life

I still think McKercher is going to be the best player after Reid. Not many people can run as fast as he does, as long as he does, and find the footy the entire time. You know how everyone says "take the best player available and worry about fit later"?. This is what they are talking about. He's not filling a need here, but he is simply the best player not named after a motorcycle in this draft class.

I would still like the bike though.

Commentary on Luke McCabe:

"There are mixed opinions on McCabe: some recruiters love him, with his temperament a strength of his, but others are not so sure, particularly given he was solid rather than outstanding in the carnival..."
Will*

I still think McKercher is going to be the best player after Reid. Not many people can run as fast as he does, as long as he does, and find the footy the entire time. You know how everyone says "take the best player available and worry about fit later"?. This is what they are talking about. He's not filling a need here, but he is simply the best player not named after a motorcycle in this draft class.

You pick up McKercher, you can put Newc and Macdonald forward a bit more, you can try Mackenzie out of the backline, you let Ward and Day have a bit more run on the wings. He can be the full time mid that keeps things ticking - we've got flexibility elsewhere IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly here.

Scenario here - if you pick on needs basis, do you take Luke Molan (went at pick 9) because you need a forward or Chris Judd (pick 3)

Similar to Mckercher who is a standout midfielder or you reach for Caddy who isn’t a top 3 talent… Caddy is a pick 8-10 imo.

You go with the best available every day of the week.

You pick the best player and figure the rest out later. Trade out other surplus players in that position.

A player who becomes a bonafide superstar has more trade value in the future vs a player who wasn’t the best, but filled a need and might not even become the player you want them to be…

Last edited:

Interview if other people wanted to listen - his agent really didn't do Reid much justice. Was all over the place.

I think we are a realistic chance to trade our future first for a top 10 pick this year. Clubs will be confident that we finish in bottom 5 next year so I think it may be pretty enticing
Bit torn on this. Love the aggression but also feel like we're a poor pre-season away from another bottom four finish

I’m torn atm with pick 3.

On one hand if McKercher is available I feel he would just finish off our midfield nicely and be that explosive inside / outside mid that we prob need. On the other hand we really need to add some talent into our forward half and Watson is a certainty to be a 500 goal 10yr small forward.

Back