The infamous Pillman incident in 1996

Remove this Banner Ad

As the story goes Pillman manages to work his way out of WCW and walks into ECW and cuts a promo on Bischoff. After the interview he leaves the ring and there is a fan at ringside the guy says something to Pillman he pulls him over the guard rail kicks the s**t out of him and then gets him in the ring continuing to beat the snot out of the guy until security takes Pillman away.

With wrestling being the way it is, I curious was the guy Pillman "beat up" an actual fan? Or just someone from maybe an indy fed that was put there to put Pillman over? I've understood most of what happened at that event just not the finish to the infamous Pillman promo.

Though if he was a plant Harley Race was wrong about the grannies.;)

Found the below on Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Pillman

Extreme Championship Wrestling
Immediately following his departure from WCW, Pillman debuted in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based Extreme Championship Wrestling promotion, appearing at the annual ECW Internet convention, Cyberslam, on February 17, 1996. During an interview conducted in the ring by Joey Styles, Pillman insulted Bischoff, calling him a commentator, a "gofer", and a "piece of s**t". After Styles attempted to end the interview, Pillman threatened to "whip out [his] Johnson" and urinate in the ring. Pillman was confronted by ECW owner Tod Gordon and wrestler Shane Douglas, who had him removed from the ring by security guards. While being dragged from the arena, Pillman attacked a plant sitting in the audience with a fork he produced from his boot. Although he did not wrestle for ECW, Pillman made several further appearances with the promotion, engaging in a war of words with Douglas. He also gained the backstage ire of New Jack when he referred to the tag team consisting of New Jack and Mustafa (The Gangstas) as "fellows with Attitudes" when crashing one of their interviews. [1]

still doesnt say if it was a work or not, seemed pretty fake, but as though ecw tried to maske it seem real

still doesnt say if it was a work or not, seemed pretty fake, but as though ecw tried to maske it seem real

I think it was half and half, Pillman went to Bischoff about an idea where he was "fired" from WCW and then he would go somewhere else for awhile and then end up back in WCW. But Pillman decided since he was "fired" he would spend his time in ECW.

Plant = work

I think he meant the whole Pillman thing, from the promo to that point, either way it appeared to be a smart move by Pillman and it really worked well for ECW with Heyman not being exactly a big advocate for WCW.

Always loved me some Brian ******* Pillman.

Was reminiscing on youtube with some Pillman stuff and it reminded me of this.

One of the best spots and intros ever imo. NSFFW. Pillman is awesome, the ECW crowd was awesome, lots of awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back