Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Half forwards and outside mids are usually the whipping boys in most teams across the league and ours is no different.

He plays in a position where players often struggle to make an impact for long stretches if the game isn't being played on their teams terms.

What I like about Will is that he always puts in defensively and is willing to work hard both ways, even when he's having an off day. You don't see him chasing cheap kicks, or pointing the finger at his teammates when things get rough. He just keeps working up and down the wing and plays his role (often negating opposition's intercepting & rebounding defenders). I reckon the coaches would absolutely love him.

He's just a solid role player, but he's a bloody good one.

Last edited:

Even when we were struggling early in the season, I think Hayward was still trying hard roaming around as a marking target and chasing defensively. He just wasn't converting his chances.

I feel he has always been a solid medium forward. He moves around the ground well to find space, is quick and good in the air. So he is a hard match up for the opposition defence.

That is still useful even if he is not as good as Bayley Fritsch, Charlie Cameron or Toby Greene. And having Hayward as a medium forward gives us some flexibility in using Heeney in other roles during the game.

Last edited:
Has played some really roles in negating the opposition's intercepting defender and really uses his speed to get around the ground to be an outlet player for the defense. And thankfully, he seems to have his goal kicking back in the past couple of weeks.

Has played some really roles in negating the opposition's intercepting defender and really uses his speed to get around the ground to be an outlet player for the defense. And thankfully, he seems to have his goal kicking back in the past couple of weeks.
Congrats to Will for doing the work on his set shots , not sure about defence

Even when we were struggling early in the season, I think Hayward was still trying hard roaming around as a marking target and chasing defensively. He just wasn't converting his chances.

I feel he has always been a solid medium forward. He moves around the ground well to find space, is quick and good in the air. So he is a hard match up for the opposition defence.

That is still useful even if he is not as good as Bayley Fritsch, Charlie Cameron or Toby Greene. And having Hayward as a medium forward gives us some flexibility in using Heeney in other roles during the game.

It's inappropriate to compare Hayward to Fritsch, Cameron and Greene. Hayward plays a different, more defensive role. Those guys have each been their team's leading goalkickers at least 3 times. We have other players kicking the bulk of the goals and Hayward is asked to play a much more negating and defensive role.

In that recent interview with Hickey, Hickey selects the all time best 22 that he has played with. His forward line was Buddy, Nick Riewoldt, JJK, Liam Ryan, Tom Papley and then he nearly puts Hayward in before just selecting another Eagles player. He makes the point about how many good players are not even on the bench but relegated to the 2s - including Heeney. Plus he's been elected to the leadership group. That's how highly regarded Hayward is by his teammates and coaches.

However, it's great to see Hayward hitting top form at the pointy end of the year.

This board is at least consistent in its embarrassing inconsistence. Trade bait for a speculative second-rounder to world-beating game-winner in a month. Muppets.

There are plenty of people who have been running the “he’s still cracking in and eventually the goal kicking will come good” line all year

Last edited:
I still think he should have been dropped at a couple of points this year, though I was never on the trade bandwagon.

Players fluctuate in form, that's just reality (as much as some forget).

Of course, some also point to a couple of good games recently as if he's been doing that all year and then have the audacity to ask "where are the doubters".

Has kicked 3.3 in 5 finals.

This is a big game for him in his career I reckon, a 3 goal night would be massive from him on the big stage.
While I'd love him to kick 3, I think it's unlikely. He's kicked 3 or more goals in 3 games this season, and has gone goalless in 8, kicked 1 goal in 8 games and 2 goals in 3.

So statistically. He's more likely to kick 0 or 1 goals, with a slightly smaller chance of kicking 2 or more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a quiet game on Friday. Whatever his defensive efforts, they did not impact the Oppo defenders. Kicked 1.1 inc missing from 20 metres. It was a typical Hayward game. Puts in lots of effort but lacks composure.

A bit like Rowey, his skills seem to have withered. Maybe this is what happens when players are asked to play ltd negating roles. All belief is sucked out of them.

Personally I don't see him as a forward. If he doesn't trust himself to kick goals why should anyone else.

I am unashamedly in the move him out of the forward line camp. This could be done via trade or a move to the backline.

Our backline has been torn a new one by Oppo smalls and mediums. Carlton's smalls are not very good but they were effective against Harry, Ollie and Lloyd. In Round 24, the Fritter flogged us.

Will has the physical attributes and defensive mind to make a solid defender. If he is kept which he will be as a teacher's pet then give him a chance to be a consistent contributor to the team. He is not at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back