Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal Twomey's final rankings before the draft. Plenty to be excited about with either pick.
bddf7596c4fa455e48a7059774101cf1.jpg
e9dce0822b97ca22b57490684e96adb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Article also says we like caddy and o'sullivan but think it's too early for them

Just asking HF, could it be a "generation" in football playing career ? 200-300 games, say 10-15 years. Asking for a friend.
Could be.

Realistically, in AFL terms I’d suggest it’s probably 15 years. The likely span of a very long career.

So one of maybe 5 of best players between 2010 and now we’re generational talents. Seems a more accurate description .

Colby is an outstanding player, but with how even the field is around our pick I can see us overlooking him for Watson or Curtin. He's by far the best pure midfielder this year, but Jagga Smith, FOS, and Sid Draper are all top-tier players who would clash with him developmentally and given the plateu at our pick future needs might just be the deciding factor. If we are looking to tip our F1 into this year, or trade it next year, I can see us grabbing Colby as the best player available anyway. I still like Curtin more though, he's the perfect CHB with both the size and strength to defend and the ball skills and endurance to get involved up the ground.

Sharing the pic from the AFL draft thread showing the consensus AFL draft power rankings.

McCabe at 18, Lorenz and Dear at 57 & 58.

Tew Jiath at 27

Other players I have eye on is Logan Morris at 30, ZZ at 33, George Stevens at 34, Ashton Moir at 37, Freijah at 43 & Will Dawson at 47.

Shoenmaker at 32 & Philactides at 44 is also interesting. Any one of them if they are available around pick 40-50 is value for money.

1699660477568-png.1850284

Sharing the pic from the AFL draft thread showing the consensus AFL draft power rankings.

McCabe at 18, Lorenz and Dear at 57 & 58.

Tew Jiath at 27

Other players I have eye on is Logan Morris at 30, ZZ at 33, George Stevens at 34, Ashton Moir at 37, Freijah at 43 & Will Dawson at 47.

Shoenmaker at 32 & Philactides at 44 is also interesting. Any one of them if they are available around pick 40-50 is value for money.

1699660477568-png.1850284
Not sure we are ready for another shoenmakers yet 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a realistic chance Duursma may be available at our pick since North seem to be strongly considering Curtin. Their other pick will almost definitely be McKercher.
In a trade period that saw Evas and McKay over paid due to a lack of key positions players, I find it really unlikely Curtin will be available at our pick.

There's a realistic chance Duursma may be available at our pick since North seem to be strongly considering Curtin. Their other pick will almost definitely be McKercher.
IMO this is just a ploy to get WC to panic and take their weak offer for pick 1. This is going to be a very entertaining start to the draft with what WC do shaping what we and everyone else does. Not long to go now.

Depends on how we feel about Blanck.

FB Curtin
CHB McCabe
I am hearing that curtin is not a full back. Who is best lockdown defender in the draft- Olly Murphy expected to go around pick 24 might be the one- The tall defender is certainly that – at 200cm he can match up on most key forwards and use his smarts on shutting down opponents with a spoil. Ran the 2km time trial in 6:18 minutes, placing him among the best times at the Combine.

If like that could split the pick to get 2 good players instead of 1. It all depends how good Olly will become.

Not sure we are ready for another shoenmakers yet 😂

I am! Bloody loved Schoey - not his fault that Clarko destroyed his confidence by having him be constantly mauled by gorilla forwards during his development years. The 2015 grand final was a taste of what he could have delivered if allowed to develop as a forward.

I’d take another Schoey in a heartbeat.

I am hearing that curtin is not a full back. Who is best lockdown defender in the draft- Olly Murphy expected to go around pick 24 might be the one- The tall defender is certainly that – at 200cm he can match up on most key forwards and use his smarts on shutting down opponents with a spoil. Ran the 2km time trial in 6:18 minutes, placing him among the best times at the Combine.

If like that could split the pick to get 2 good players instead of 1. It all depends how good Olly will become.
Curtin being a KPP certainly has been debated. Personally I feel he could play FB very well.

He could be a roughhead like player break in case of an emergency for a run in the middle or CHF.

Back