Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the real intriguing/confusing thing about Moir....and Lemmey. They looked to have it all as underagers, but they couldn't compete in their top end years.

Why?....that is the question. It doesn't seem to be lack of intent/dedication...like Menzel, Cam McCarthy for instance. Both seem to be dedicated and aspirational and want it. But they just didn't cut the mustard at the pointy end of their junior careers. That has warning bells imo. No overly significant injury holding them back all year either.

I was all for the risk/reward of Lemmey at Pick 50 last year. Our great list shape made that a fantastic shot. But i'm not sure i would double up on Moir around Pick 30. Nothing against Moir more than Lemmey, but it is 30 as against 50, and it is a 2nd roll of the dice as opposed to the 1st carryable one.

The gambler in me says 2 rolls of the dice is a better chance of getting 1 Golden Egg...but yeah, pretty hopeful drafting.

Once again, our list shape is primed for some risk taking(all picks are risks, even the safer looking ones). So i won't be teeth gnashing like when Shaneo picked Boekhorst and DVR lol.

In fact i'll probably be proud of our guys for taking a risk instead of a vanilla, bog average Melbourne private schoolboy who looks safer to play 50 average games that someone else on the list can do.

Like all draft teams, they have options. For us...risky type???...another halfback???...another ruck???...another small forward???...another mid in a year when other than the Allies, the other were bog average???.

Go Curly and Big Brodes.

Didn’t Moir have pretty significant hip issues that hindered him in ‘23 hence (hoping) the drop in output?

Moir is very high risk. Not sure he is an Austin pick.
Hope we take him with our second pick anyway.
WCE will likely take Collard if they have a choice between the two.

Will call it now, unless there is a slider, whoever is still on the board out of Collard or Moir, WC will call out one of them

Last edited:

Didn’t Moir have pretty significant hip issues that hindered him in ‘23 hence (hoping) the drop in output?

Yes, sort of. Not sure how significant it was or whether it stopped him from performing basically all year. But yes, it was apparently of some issue at least.

Gonna be very interesting to see if he gets past all of Crows last pick, our pick and WC pick. Intriguing storyline of the draft is Moir.

Yes, sort of. Not sure how significant it was or whether it stopped him from performing basically all year. But yes, it was apparently of some issue at least.

Gonna be very interesting to see if he gets past all of Crows last pick, our pick and WC pick. Intriguing storyline of the draft is Moir.

I think it impacted him a fair bit. He mentioned that it was pretty much affecting him from his 2nd game this season. Playing through an injury like that would be tough for a young guy. Not something players that age would be used to dealing with.

Watching the Championship highlights of Moir and I can see where the “soft as butter” view comes from in as much as he next to no second effort and doesn’t tackle much.

But— he oozes class. Give him free space, any space and he will do something creative with it.

Under Vossy, and with a hard as nuts Jack Martin by his side, I can see us fixing his issues. And, as has been said, he does not need to play Round 1, or at all, next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm coming around to Mitch Edwards if we go that way.

Would be interesting how we would manage all our rucks though. Would almost need to alternate them through the vfl (2 weeks on 1 week off) or have 1 stationed permanently forward. Otherwise our VFL side becomes severely unbalanced.

Would also mean we might lose 2 rucks at the end of next season. Mirk most likely, HUD if he doesn't come on, and even Pitto via trade if TDK keeps him out of the team are all possibilities.
My WA mates say Edwards is a phenomenal contested mark.

Yep, sounds about right - Just spoke with a mate of mine who has a few alleged contacts he had a few beers with this arvo. Moir has apparently been the target for some time. Between us and our 2nd pick will be WCE (Collard) and GEE (Stevens) due to GCS matchings. Our 2nd pick then has allegedly come down to………..depending on the draft going as expected (eg as above)….. a big and………a utility who barracks for Carlton. That’s his mail, not mine.

Before a certain individual posts who can’t work out todays Pop-quiz (it’s not the 1% club) - That’s M Edwards and A Schoenmaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes from Agresta interview:
  • Last year we were specifically looking to build our running profile, this year just building overall depth (best available)
  • There is a group of 8-10 players we are looking at for our 2 picks (confirmed Collard, M.Edwards, Moir are part of that group)
  • Spoke about how Moir had a frustrating season with injury, suspension and having to play across different teams but is very talented.
  • Felt that the player we were going to take at 17 will probably be the same guy we get at 22 and wanted 2 bites at the cherry in that part of the draft so happy with the Fisher trade
  • Said the top 12 are fairly clear but after that it's' pretty even up till about pick 35, with ratings being in the eye of the beholder.
  • Will take a rookie on Wednesday in the rookie draft

• Last year we were specifically looking to build our running profile, this year just building overall depth (best available)
  • There is a group of 8-10 players we are looking at for our 2 picks (confirmed Collard, M.Edwards, Moir are part of that group)
  • Spoke about how Moir had a frustrating season with injury, suspension and having to play across different teams but is very talented.
  • Felt that the player we were going to take at 17 will probably be the same guy we get at 22 and wanted 2 bites at the cherry in that part of the draft so happy with the Fisher trade
  • Said the top 12 are fairly clear but after that it's' pretty even up till about pick 35, with ratings being in the eye of the beholder.
Trading up is dead for CFC - I’m happy with that. More flexibility next year.

As for this year. Unless sone sliders appear -
Sounds like Moir (talked about) & Simpson (guess based on needs)

And a rookie - those late names that were mentioned

Let’s go to the draft!

Last edited:

I wonder if the "Rookie" is a mature type we have been looking at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back