Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Hipwood at BHA yesterday. Big smile over his self-satisfied moosh. Didn't see what he had to be so happy about really. But TBF didn't seem to be carrying any bruises. As you might expect.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I've never understood how players can smile and be happy right after a loss. Like still on the ground and joking and laughing with opposition players. That really grinds my gears.

But jeez 3 days later I'm sure it's more then OK for the man to have a grin on his face.

It will be

Out: Answerth, Dev
In: Lyons, Lohmann

Changes will be very minimal. One or two. They believe we are just out of form and will keep pretty much the same squad and will just rotate the fringe players in and out over the coming weeks.
So who plays Answerths role? Bringing in a slow mid (who I actually don't mind in the team) and a half forward doesn't solve what seems to be our biggest weakness.

I am still undecided on Lohmann until he gets 2 starting position games at AFL level in this his 3rd year.
His fitness level and knowing team structure should be near where it is required to be.
He needs to actually make an impact rather than just picking up some disposals at this level.
If he wants to keep in the side, he does have to make that impact and i think he has the attributes to do so.

His VFL weekend game showed enough to get the nod over Dev for the North game in my opinion.

He has played 11 AFL games. Three full games with 8 being sub on/off.
YearTotal AFL GamesSub OnSub OffFull Game (Total Disposals)
20222-1Pies (9)
2023631Swans (14) Suns (11)
202433--

Just the one VFL game this year the day after being sub for the AFL side.
17 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles and 4 goals 1 behind.
The seniors are 0-3 and if he can't get a start 22 after that game something is wrong at team selection.

Two other changes Fort and Answerth.
Only 1 ruck required against North so maybe they find room for Morris but i won't hold my breath on that one.
The Answerth replacement i will have to think about, but Fagan may stick with him.

I am still undecided on Lohmann until he gets 2 starting position games at AFL level in this his 3rd year.
His fitness level and knowing team structure should be near where it is required to be.
He needs to actually make an impact rather than just picking up some disposals at this level.
If he wants to keep in the side, he does have to make that impact and i think he has the attributes to do so.

His VFL weekend game showed enough to get the nod over Dev for the North game in my opinion.

He has played 11 AFL games. Three full games with 8 being sub on/off.
YearTotal AFL GamesSub OnSub OffFull Game (Total Disposals)
20222-1Pies (9)
2023631Swans (14) Suns (11)
202433--

Just the one VFL game this year the day after being sub for the AFL side.
17 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles and 4 goals 1 behind.
The seniors are 0-3 and if he can't get a start 22 after that game something is wrong at team selection.

Two other changes Fort and Answerth.
Only 1 ruck required against North so maybe they find room for Morris but i won't hold my breath on that one.
The Answerth replacement i will have to think about, but Fagan may stick with him.

Had 5 tackles in the game against the Pies, 2 tackles against the Swans and 6 tackles against the Suns as well.

Thought he was very good in the VFL yesterday. Even some Pies supporters in their VFL thread were praising his efforts.

Had 5 tackles in the game against the Pies, 2 tackles against the Swans and 6 tackles against the Suns as well.

Thought he was very good in the VFL yesterday. Even some Pies supporters in their VFL thread were praising his efforts.

And he did his best work in the fourth quarter. Really stood up when the game was on the line.

My sense with Lohmann is that he needs some consistent seniors for his development. I think he has a very high ceiling.

I hope he gets a run of games.

A bit of chat about Hipwood being moved down back. Does he have a decent field kick? I’d be open to trying it but really feels like our biggest problem is that our game style relies heavily on 120% effort all the time

Who’s the 40 goal a year forward we replace him with? And who does he replace down back?

Sounds fine in passing. But completely not practical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of chat about Hipwood being moved down back. Does he have a decent field kick? I’d be open to trying it but really feels like our biggest problem is that our game style relies heavily on 120% effort all the time
Gees, if that the case, it just reinforces my belief we're not as fit as many of the other top teams. Just from the eye test, we don't run as hard or put in as much effort as many of the other teams vying for finals.

So we deviate from what got us to a grand final and go for a Hail Mary?
Should have asked where the chat is coming from.

Bucking Beads might just be passing on what he's heard from where ever, and not have the answers for the questions you are asking.

Won't be the first time the coaches have tried something that have left the supporter base scratching their heads, i.e. Rayner playing half back or Dizzy playing third tall.

Gees, if that the case, it just reinforces my belief we're not as fit as many of the other top teams. Just from the eye test, we don't run as hard or put in as much effort as many of the other teams vying for finals.

I would 100% agree with your thoughts. Very rarely do we seem to be putting in the same effort as other teams

So we deviate from what got us to a grand final and go for a Hail Mary?

I just read the comments on an SEN article. It’s not my first choice of options but you’d be really drinking the kool aid if you are happy with how Hipwood has developed

I just read the comments on an SEN article. It’s not my first choice of options but you’d be really drinking the kool aid if you are happy with how Hipwood has developed

Oh he’s a very average key forward and our development and drafting has been poor but shifting him to a new position will not help

And it’s just lazy media or internet numpty 101 suggesting to switch a key forward down back

I still believe if we want a better functioning forwardline that starts with better ball movement up the field

Oh he’s a very average key forward and our development and drafting has been poor but shifting him to a new position will not help

And it’s just lazy media or internet numpty 101 suggesting to switch a key forward down back

I still believe if we want a better functioning forwardline that starts with better ball movement up the field
I'd put Daniher CHF ,sub Hipwood , go far a hybrid deep like Logan Morris ( just going what others are saying there ) and shake things up a little.

They look stale on the gameplan. Everything seems too much an effort.

We don't look half alive when we run out after half time , gotta go through all this again.

Other teams have worked us out.

All that nutty talk that we're now ready to take the next step pre season has just borne complacency.

Ring some changes and embrace it , might freshen their minds up if nothing else.

I'd put Daniher CHF ,sub Hipwood , go far a hybrid deep like Logan Morris ( just going what others are saying there ) and shake things up a little.

We don't look half alive when we run out after half time , gotta go through all this again.

All that nutty talk that we're now ready to take the next step pre season has just borne complacency.

Ring some changes and embrace it , might freshen their minds up if nothing else.

If we do have the players in form to execute our own very basic gameplan how are we just going to throw another one at them on a weeks notice and expect it to be any better?

I think we need to see what 3 or 4 quarters of our midfield bringing the required intensity would mean to our gameplan. Just like what Collingwood did this week. No major structural changes, just application

If we do have the players in form to execute our own very basic gameplan how are we just going to throw another one at them on a weeks notice and expect it to be any better?

I think we need to see what 3 or 4 quarters of our midfield bringing the required intensity would mean to our gameplan. Just like what Collingwood did this week. No major structural changes, just application
Nathan footy clubs are notorious for coaches and players to be very resistant to change . Especially if they see themselves as successful.

I'm not talking panic stations or anything drastic. We've got guys not putting in enough (imo). Shake things up just a little bit.

We're playing North so we'll beat them easily and everyone will think we're all fine.

I also feel we are underestimating that first Gabba loss and its collective effect on the team. We went 13-0 and its like our fortress in 2023. Imagine the strongest frontier collapsing on day 1 of war and what impact it'll cause on the troops. Shell shocked is an understatement in my view.
I’d be more inclined to think losing a GF by less than a goal is more psychologically damaging than a single loss at the Gabba. It’s such a massive build up to get there, having things fall into place and getting home finals. The climb that mountain again, maybe it’s too hard for some of these players to think they can get there again. Perhaps the capitulation against Carlton reinforced that.

I am all for giving Morris a go instead of Fort.
But if you put Hippy sub (won't happen) then Morris gets crucified by the oppositions 2nd best defender.
If Morris plays, he should be anywhere in the forward area except where Jo and Hippy are leading to.
At some stage our midfield may actually kick it his way and he is a good mark.

This should be the week the side gets some confidence back into their game.
I think we give North a bit of a touch up this week as we should.
I still think 2 or 3 changes are warranted though.
Fagan played 2 rucks because we got well beaten in that area in the GF v Pies.
Back to 1 ruck this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back