Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

If that’s the eventuality i won’t give a crap about AFL

Even watching neutral games from the unbiased position of observer is dreadful with the poor state of the rules, under and over officiating and the Spin Doctoring of the AFL.

I don't even know what I'd do, but in the second quarter today, I felt like this scenario is entirely likely and perhaps even preferred by the AFL. We will "merge" with the new Tassie team, with players not wishing to go there released to the draft. There may not be many takers other than Sheezel, Comben and a few others.

I don't even know what I'd do, but in the second quarter today, I felt like this scenario is entirely likely and perhaps even preferred by the AFL. We will "merge" with the new Tassie team, with players not wishing to go there released to the draft. There may not be many takers other than Sheezel, Comben and a few others.

One thing I do know is one of those “cold call” Raffle sellers better not ring me this week with their $100 ******* tickets

We were never going to improve once they kept McDonald & Simpkin as co captains.

I was surprised & worried at the time they announced it & those feelings have been confirmed.

One is apparently a top bloke & the other is a hard trainer. Apart from that, they offer nothing.

In the last 2 years I can't remember either of them doing anything inspiring on field.

Strong leadership is the foundation of success.
Seems there are no hard conversations happening, no accountability & no one driving elite standards.

Until these 2 are no longer captains, it will be more of the same.

From what I see & hear, Sheezel as a 19 year old is driving & pushing for higher standards & that is an indictment on the senior players.
Jy & Lmac both lack composure unfortunately. Apart from having the ball on a string, Harry's greatest asset on field is his composure.

Just when you think we have hit bottom the boys get the shovels out and start digging some more.

The club is a disaster.

I’m not sure how they expect people to turn up, stump up money to watch an absolute pathetic effort week in week out.

If you said to someone who didn’t know football that you spend hundreds (probably thousands when you total in the travel, parking etc) to walk away feeling dejected and s**t they probably would have you committed.

If this playing group can’t take any pride in their performance or at least give the members and supporters something to cheer about, then don’t be surprised if this club ceases to exist.

The AFL will happily keep it to 18 teams if we keep serving it up to them on a platter.

Did anyone else at the game see some supporters absolutly abuse the players as they were going down the race? Hurling abuse like "******* weak!" at them.

I've gone to a lot of games and I've never seen that before. To me it was a new low for the club. It's getting really toxic now.

I've had some miserable days at the football over the last five years but it's turning from misery into pure rage for a lot of people.

Did anyone else at the game see some supporters absolutly abuse the players as they were going down the race? Hurling abuse like "******* weak!" at them.

I've gone to a lot of games and I've never seen that before. To me it was a new low for the club. It's getting really toxic now.

I've had some miserable days at the football over the last five years but it's turning from misery into pure rage for a lot of people.
I felt like doing so at half time.

I saw that and I had no issue with it.

Its about time the playing group understood that these performances do matter and phoning it in doesnt cut it.

If they get away with it because Clarko wont drop them, then the members can rip into them.
I don't give a f*** about their feelings. Theyre paid to play and represent this once proud football club. If they don't want to then rip your contract up and f*** off. We'll all be better for it.

I wouldn’t do it myself, but based on what the players have dished up this year they deserve every bit of what comes their way.

They are well paid professionals that at the moment are taking the piss and collecting wages under false pretences. Those wages are paid by people that go to work each week to earn that money, these guys aren’t earning anything based on their output. Wage thieves the lot of them.

If they don’t want the abuse, turn up and put in, otherwise they can cop it all year for all I care.

No one abuses teams that show heart and effort, which should tell this group a lot about how they are collectively wiping their arses with the jumper each week.

Last edited:
My wife: "When we met five years ago you said you'd win a premiership by now. What happened?"

Me: "I don't even know where you begin. This is rock bottom".
My partner said the same thing to me after today's game! And I even set the bar lower by saying we would make finals but nah the club continues to make me look like a fool.

Starship Troopers GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion, I come waving the white flag of truce in one hand and extending the hand of friendship in the other.

Bloody tough for you guys at the minute. I know how it feels and during the equivalent period for us I had some unspeakably bad behavior moments that I still shudder to remember. Of course things can change as they did for us albeit with a fair bit of luck - not least facing the flaky dogs in a GF in Perth for some stupid reason.

We collected our first spoon of that period in 2008 and didn’t make finals again until 2018. In 2016, after many, many humiliations during those years, we both lost to the bombers top-ups and were belted by Geelong by 111 points in Roos’ last game as coach.

The point being, whatever - I’ve forgotten and you’ll all still hate your team forever probably. Read the Melbourne board; we hate our team as much as ever.

This is my first time posting in this thread.

This has to be it.
Never doubt the Roos' ability to surprise you - we can sink lower.

I felt like doing so at half time.

I saw that and I had no issue with it.

Its about time the playing group understood that these performances do matter and phoning it in doesnt cut it.

If they get away with it because Clarko wont drop them, then the members can rip into them.
I don't give a f*** about their feelings. Theyre paid to play and represent this once proud football club. If they don't want to then rip your contract up and f*** off. We'll all be better for it.
I cant argue with this.

go back 30-40 years ago, you had players that were paid way less but gave more of an effort.

I didn’t see it but I don’t mind it

They have been clapped off for the last 5 years after pathetic displays, it’s time they copped it (as long as it’s directed at the right players)

I have no problem with it. Obviously there's a line for language and aggression but how else does the club get to know the level of anger out there? Enough is enough. It's embarrassing to be a North supporter. They no longer provide any joy to anyone. The Shinboner DNA has been destroyed. We're completely irrelevant to the competition other than giving a free W and some percentage to the lucky teams who play us twice. And we're getting worse.

Young supporters are giving up. Older ones are watching the club die. We've been through the other stages of grief. Now it's just anger. No point calling the club and teeing off, you won't get onto anyone who matters. The club has to accept that this is how we feel instead of anymore "everyone is trying their best" garbage. They are not. And they haven't for years. Things like smiling after the game, player songs and funny clips debating parma or parmi are for the bin. People are hurting and that needs to be properly acknowledged instead of them treating us like idiots. This is a full blown crisis and no one seems to be either aware of it or taking it seriously.

I woke up this morning and kind of felt like I wanted the club to die? So I could be free to pick someone else? My partner and I were joking about how we made such a poor decision last year.

I'm not posting this here for validation, I know that thought isn't really okay in football world. Posting partly to give insight into a (fairly dedicated) young supporter's mindset, and partly for some venting/therapy.

Its s**t, the shittest of the s**t but i will turn up next home game and do it all again.

My boys even after yesterday still sticking fat with the boys, my eldest 11 said this in the car "I will never give up on North dad, i love North"

That's a kid who has seen less wins than anyone on this board and he will not budge.

A few of us could take a leaf out of his book, me included at times.

I love footy. This morning however, I woke up feeling gutted, almost heartbroken. I don't want to listen to my footy podcasts, I don't want to talk to anyone at work about footy. I don't want to read anything about it. It sucks and is definitely a new low for me regarding this club. Worse is the everlasting feeling that true rock bottom is yet to come.

I'll probably get over it by Saturday's game, because I have a problem, but man does tuning out sound nice right now!

Well its 8 weeks until our next home game at Marvel - against Collingwood. Yes, 8 weeks between home games in Melbourne.

It will be interesting to see where things are at by that stage - player wise and supporter wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back