chaddles

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2007
In the trees
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Who would be the toughest, most courageous, and most feared player that you have ever seen play football?

Leigh Matthews would be the first name that comes to mind- he played it tough, hard and dirty at times but when it came to his turn to take a hit he never backed down. Plus he was a great player and kicked over 900 goals.

Penski

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
You could certainly have different players for each of the attributes you have listed.

I would have my most courageous as Gavin Brown, yet he is certainly not most feared.

BIGBEZ

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Bloods!
Who would be the toughest, most courageous, and most feared player that you have ever seen play football?

Leigh Matthews would be the first name that comes to mind- he played it tough, hard and dirty at times but when it came to his turn to take a hit he never backed down. Plus he was a great player and kicked over 900 goals.

WTF! Matthews courageous?????
Good thread, but you lost me there!

Topdock65

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle & South Freo
Big Carl from Saints ....VFL

WAFL : Basil Campbell- South Fremantle.....:thumbsu::thumbsu:

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
WTF! Matthews courageous?????
Good thread, but you lost me there!

Never saw him pull out of a contest, always put his body on the line and took his hit when he had to, don't get blinded by the fact he dished out plenty and overlook the fact he copped plenty.

dan warna

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 13, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
players I hated from opposition teams:

leigh Matthews, Michael Voss, Glen Archer, Barry Stoneham, John Worsfold, Dipperdemenico, brett Rattan, Roger Merrett, Paul kelly, Riccouto, Bairstow...

i think thats a fair collection of hardmen :D

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Massive list to choose from, some that come to mind quickly:

Courageous - G. Brown, M. Harvey, Platten.

Hard - Carl. D, R. Muir, Mathews, Dipper, Milane.

Dirty - Rhys-Jones, G. (the sniper) Williams +^ the Hard section.

BIGBEZ

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Bloods!
Never saw him pull out of a contest, always put his body on the line and took his hit when he had to, don't get blinded by the fact he dished out plenty and overlook the fact he copped plenty.

He once drove is knees into a famous Sth Australian's back, causing him to have a permanent disability and retire from football, I think it was Barry Robram or similar going from memory, this was in the days of state football, he never played a state game since, always claimed injury, they were gonna lynch him in S.A, now if thats not 'pulling out of a contest', I dont know what is!
Check football history if you dont believe me, but I dont care, I know the truth!

starkravenmad2

All Australian
Nov 26, 2004
east gippsland
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought he got the nickname because he loved taking cheap shots in back play. He will always be a disgrace to the game.

Not sure you would say he took cheap shots besides the bruns incident...People always forget Matthews took a hell of alot of punishment for someone who while built like a tank was not a very big player and like all hard men never bitched and moaned like alot of players and people on here do....must admit though always hated him as a player because he was so hard and good lol
other hard men from that era were people like Balme, Bourke ,Brown, Big Carl Muir and later years dipper ,bretton, Hocking ,Abblet and lockett among many others
But id say the best and bravest of the lot was Bobby Skillton who was as fair as they come,braver than most,and a victim so many times because of iy and he just kept going attacking the ball without flinching and who Teddy Whitten fixed up many times on the field but they remained best friends of it which just shows how the men of those days played and lived

the avoca drover

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2007
The house of Jim Jess
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon UTT
players I hated from opposition teams:

leigh Matthews, Michael Voss, Glen Archer, Barry Stoneham, John Worsfold, Dipperdemenico, brett Rattan, Roger Merrett, Paul kelly, Riccouto, Bairstow...

i think thats a fair collection of hardmen :D

I was agreeing with you until I read Bairstow. I always thought Jim Jess and Mick Malthouse were pretty hard in their day, not forgetting Ron Andrews.

chaddles

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2007
In the trees
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
I thought he got the nickname because he loved taking cheap shots in back play. He will always be a disgrace to the game.

Nickname came from Lethal because if you were near the ball he was going to put you on your arse!!

Speaking of dogs- Mark Yates when he blindsided Brereton on GF day, plus Abletts cheap ribshot to Dipper to puncture his lung. You tried filthy tactics that day and all it did was make the Hawks stronger. Thanks for the premiership ;).

Dermie has to up there with the hardest players, Paul Kelly would have to be my favourite clean hardmen to watch. Inspirational.

Chewy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Current day from Hawks: Campbell Brown, Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell are a good trio

Leigh Matthews
Robert DiPierdomenico
Gary Ayres
John Platten
Andy Collins

Gary Ablett
Jack Dyer
Glen Archer
Tony Liberatore
Terry Daniher
Ron Barassi
Tony Shaw
Gavin Brown
Francis Bourke
Murray Weideman
John Nicholls
Laurie Fowler
John Worsfold
Mark Ricciuto
Michael Voss
Paul Kelly
Adrian Fletcher
Garry Hocking
Stephen Silvagni

claf-43

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 21, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just add Michael Wilson their and that list is about perfect :)

Stuffed up shoulders in 04, still hit harder then anyone.

Cant KPP be hard men too? Surely Brown, Tredrea Hall should get a mention....

Back