Hardest man to play AFL/VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Hamil - When he used to play :) .... was there anyone tougher?
Steven Baker - Never flinches a contest
Darren Wheildon - Fitzroy FF
Gary Hocking
Greg Williams
Tony Lockett

In my time (past decade)...

One of the msot courageous = Michael Wilson. kirk also gets a mention

One of the hardest = pickett. mick martyn also gets a mention

People might think this is a bit of a strange one by I would say the most courageous player I have seen in the Melbourne colours (or for any team for that matter) is the recently retired Nathan Brown. He weighed 76kg but was absolutely fearless, as you would have appreciated if you saw some of his last games this season. I've mentioned these things in other threads but he has been knocked out so many times for kamikaze acts that Doctors were close to ending his career.

My favourite example to back this up is when Buckley polaxed him just before half time of the Queens B'day clash in 2004. He was concussed, and at half time had pices of teeth pulled out from his cheek and had a hole in his tongue where he bit through it, stitched up. Danners asked him to lead the boys out onto the ground after half time as an honour for his courage and the boys come from behind and won it.

Its one thing to have the physical presence to be able to dish it out and most mentioned in this thread have. Nathan didn't and just kept putting himself in dangerous situations for his team time and time again. A bloody ripper!

Some of the toughest

Kerley, Whitten, Weidamann, Barassi, Nichols, . Jonathon Brown ain't no scaredy cat either. For his height Mathews was bloody tough too.
Archer is bloody brave, but I don't think as tough as the others.

From what my old man has told me ,there were some very tough boys running around in years gone by, when anything much went on. No cameras and one ump.

Mad dog could go a bit too, but that was mainly dirty stuff, not necessarily tough..

Who would be the toughest, most courageous, and most feared player that you have ever seen play football?

Toughest - Darren Millane (ps. don't go telling Kerr it is possible to play half a year with broken bones in your hand - rebreaking them everygame - getting plastered up to get you through the week until the next game).
Courageous - Gavin Brown. The was nowhere that man was afraid to go!

Barrie Robran, after being injured by Matthews played on for a few games and dominated in them with a serious knee reco, I've heard he played with all the big knee braces and still dominated at CHF.

Though I havent seen it....

Barrie Robran, after being injured by Matthews played on for a few games and dominated in them with a serious knee reco, I've heard he played with all the big knee braces and still dominated at CHF.

Though I havent seen it....

Not really the case. Once Robran recieved that injury in the state game, he was never the same player again. He did continue to play however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't have Archer in this list your not fair dinkum!

Matthews was very hard, Kelly from the Swans is a left field suggestion.

Agree with many of the others too.

Not sure you would say he took cheap shots besides the bruns incident...
Yes, you would. As a North fan, I can remember him taking cheap shots at Greig, Demetriou (ok, in hindsight that wasn't so bad !), Melrose & Cable.
Melbourne fans could tell you about Giles, Norsworthy & a few others. I'm sure fans of other teams could reel off a few names too.

Nobody could question Matthews' courage when the ball was in contest, he never hesitated to put his body on the line ; but his reputation is marred by the number of blokes he took out behind play, or when he was second to the contest.

Yes, you would. As a North fan, I can remember him taking cheap shots at Greig, Demetriou (ok, in hindsight that wasn't so bad !), Melrose & Cable.
Melbourne fans could tell you about Giles, Norsworthy & a few others. I'm sure fans of other teams could reel off a few names too.

Nobody could question Matthews' courage when the ball was in contest, he never hesitated to put his body on the line ; but his reputation is marred by the number of blokes he took out behind play, or when he was second to the contest.

Theres another one for genuine toughness, Kieth Grieg!

Nickname came from Lethal because if you were near the ball he was going to put you on your arse!!

Speaking of dogs- Mark Yates when he blindsided Brereton on GF day, plus Abletts cheap ribshot to Dipper to puncture his lung. You tried filthy tactics that day and all it did was make the Hawks stronger. Thanks for the premiership ;).

Dermie has to up there with the hardest players, Paul Kelly would have to be my favourite clean hardmen to watch. Inspirational.

There was nothing wrong with what Ablett did to Dipper. Don't apply 2007 standards to a game 18 years ago. Check the footage and you'll notice not one Hawthorn player remotely remonstrates with Ablett (Ayres incidentally got Ablett a ripper in the same game). They knew, as Dipper did that if you got in the way of a leading forward you could cop one. Different game then.

I won't nominate one player as that's impossible. The toughest Geelong players I've seen were Garry Hocking and Gary Ablett. Ray Card was up there too. Other teams, too numerous to mention - Matthews, Brereton, Francis Bourke, and many others.

Plus there's others my Dad has told me about, guys like Pat Kelly and Bob Chitty must have been pretty impressive. The footage of Skilton with 2 black eyes wearing his Brownlow speaks volumes too.

John Worsfold was a real sniper in the true sense. If you were tough like Dermie, he,d ambush you, if you were an easy target like Winston Abraham
then he could pretend he was hard he new there'd be no come back.
No he is not a true hard man of the AFL.

Oh bollocks! I hold Dermie as one of the toughest hard men I've seen play in my time and even he said the best hit he ever took was from Worsfold. If a player was open he'd give the bump, and always fairly. I remember seeing him and Ablett go head on in a state of origin clash and they both went down. He never held back. Abraham was an easy target because in that game (the first derby I believe) he was open and that's the way it goes. I hold Worsfold up there with the best of them, but he was fair! But for me Dermie is my favourite!

Oh bollocks! I hold Dermie as one of the toughest hard men I've seen play in my time and even he said the best hit he ever took was from Worsfold. If a player was open he'd give the bump, and always fairly. I remember seeing him and Ablett go head on in a state of origin clash and they both went down. He never held back. Abraham was an easy target because in that game (the first derby I believe) he was open and that's the way it goes. I hold Worsfold up there with the best of them, but he was fair! But for me Dermie is my favourite!

Incorrect - Dirty, dirty player Mr Worsfold....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back