General Andrew Bolt

Remove this Banner Ad

bulldogs1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2001
Shoppers Crossing
Other Teams
Dogs
Don't you just love this guy? This morning he's slagging Simon Crean for chasing votes, pushing the "populist" view that Australians shouldn't go to war.

Wake up, Andrew. John Howard has been poll-led for his whole Prime-Ministership.

It'd be a tough choice for Bolt, but I would say in this case he would support a Labour Prime Minister.

Mind, Blair is about as much as a Leftie as Maggie Thatcher.
Originally posted by Pessimistic
If he had a transfer to a murdoch rag in the UK - I wonder who he'd be slagging off. Labour's Blair or his opponents.

Originally posted by bulldogs1
Don't you just love this guy? This morning he's slagging Simon Crean for chasing votes, pushing the "populist" view that Australians shouldn't go to war.

Wake up, Andrew. John Howard has been poll-led for his whole Prime-Ministership.

Interesting point. What is the difference between a leader pushing the 'populist' vote and a leader 'listening' to the people...being in touch. Can't have it both ways.

The reality is though :-

1) The popular view is often media orchestrated

2) The leader in power often has to make the hard choices for the sake of the country which opposes popular opinion, oppsition leaders don't. That means they can always take the populist line for political (vote winning) reasons.

But make no mistake about it. If Crean was in power he would be doing exactly the same as Howard is............and Howard would be pushing the 'populist' view.

Re: Re: General Andrew Bolt

No difference as far as I'm concerned. It's Bolt that's accusing Crean of being populist, not me. He's the one who wants it both ways.

I don't agree that the popular view is media-orchestrated. Perhaps the Murdoch press toe one line, but to say that their opinions are similar to the Fairfax press (Did I hear anyone say "Lefties"?) is stretching it. Orchestrated?
Originally posted by Frodo
Interesting point. What is the difference between a leader pushing the 'populist' vote and a leader 'listening' to the people...being in touch. Can't have it both ways.

The reality is though :-

1) The popular view is often media orchestrated

2) The leader in power often has to make the hard choices for the sake of the country which opposes popular opinion, oppsition leaders don't. That means they can always take the populist line for political (vote winning) reasons.

But make no mistake about it. If Crean was in power he would be doing exactly the same as Howard is............and Howard would be pushing the 'populist' view.

Is Simon Crean likeable? Does he do anything other than just rant and rave?( and yes I know he is the opposition leader) Does he actually support anything other than just being opposite to the opposition? For gawds sake. he is NOT a reason to support the Labour Party.

Anyway, I forget the question. Just my rant.

If he had a transfer to a murdoch rag in the UK - I wonder who he'd be slagging off. Labour's Blair or his opponents.

He'd slag off whoever he was told to, he is a well trained Rottweiler!

Originally posted by Katthawk
Is Simon Crean likeable? Does he do anything other than just rant and rave?( and yes I know he is the opposition leader) Does he actually support anything other than just being opposite to the opposition? For gawds sake. he is NOT a reason to support the Labour Party.

Anyway, I forget the question. Just my rant.

He supports the UN which thankfully will be around when all these madmen have moved onto the speakers curciut.

He supports the UN which thankfully will be around when all these madmen have moved onto the speakers curciut.

He is still too much of a follower than a leader and appears to just groan because it is good for votes. I don't deny he may have true convictions, just that he doesn't seem to speak for himself.

Originally posted by Katthawk
He is still too much of a follower than a leader and appears to just groan because it is good for votes. I don't deny he may have true convictions, just that he doesn't seem to speak for himself.

Remember when Howard was opposition leader? Both times all he did was whinge, carp and moan.

BTW This is not a ringing endorsment of Crean. He is easily the worst opposition leader that Labor has had in my time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, Local, but I figure if you're about my age, then Labour hasn't had too many Opposition Leaders to pick from
Originally posted by localyokel
Remember when Howard was opposition leader? Both times all he did was whinge, carp and moan.

BTW This is not a ringing endorsment of Crean. He is easily the worst opposition leader that Labor has had in my time.

All our politicians are followers. The system encourages followers not leaders.

Trying being a young liberal or labor member, and try leading, having your own ideas.

Those who get to the top of the mountains are followers, not leaders. To become leader of a party, you'd do so by following, don't you think, saying the right thing, towing the party line.

Political correctness, perception, voting along party lines, all combine to create a nation of followers unfortunately. So what makes you think our leaders would not also be followers. :)

Do you truly believe that John Howard is a great leader?? Simon crean? Anyone? Anyone in Australian politics who is a great leader???

Shouldn't Crean be sayinf what many many australians are asking at the moment ?

What do they know that we don't which justifies war on a massive scale ?

Oh, Colin's (Powell) gonna tell everyone at the UNSC meeting in a week or so, LOL. Can't wait.
Shouldn't Crean be sayinf what many many australians are asking at the moment ?

What do they know that we don't which justifies war on a massive scale ?

I agree, Local, but I figure if you're about my age, then Labour hasn't had too many Opposition Leaders to pick from

The worst I can remember was the feller before Frank Wilkes here in Vicroria. Cant even remeber his name.

Originally posted by localyokel
The worst I can remember was the feller before Frank Wilkes here in Vicroria. Cant even remeber his name.

Worse than John Brumby? Being in opposition doesn't just mean opposing everything the ruling government does and says, just as having an argument isn't just saying "no it isn't".

Yes it is....

No it isn't...

Originally posted by Darky
Worse than John Brumby? Being in opposition doesn't just mean opposing everything the ruling government does and says, just as having an argument isn't just saying "no it isn't".

Yes it is....

No it isn't...

You obviously don't remember Alexander Downer's performance as opposition foreign affairs spokesman - he bitched about EVERYTHING.

In opposition you are supposed to keep quiet about many foreign affairs to aid diplomacy. labour usually does this.

When Australia seems to have been committed to what is an ILLEGAL war without the PM (who has a track record of LYING) giving the reasons (or even worse not knowing them)
I think It's the opposition leaders DUTY to say something.

Don't you ?

Oh, Colin's (Powell) gonna tell everyone at the UNSC meeting in a week or so, LOL. Can't wait.

And how many months have us mere mortals had to wait since the "axis of evil" speech ? 10, 12 months ?

Perhaps its all to complex for us to get our heads around

Bolt's a twerp. If he's not berating the Labour Party for being populist, he's having a go at them for being out of touch with the Australian voters. It's the easiest job in the world being an apologist for any current leader, and Bolt knows it.

All I can say about Johnny Howard right now is: the only time he doesn't blindly follow votes is when it conflicts with what the US wants. His hands are tied on Iraq. He knows it, we all know it, and Simon Crean knows that if he were the PM, he'd be in the same predicament.

Crean's a smart political operator, and he can get the Liberals running when he puts his mind to it, but I just can't see him running this country. Mind you, I said much the same about Howard in the early 90's too.

If he were so disposed, Howard would have a hell of a job to say "no" to the Yanks if they chose to 'go in' illegally and howard wanted to wait or something.

Creans stance would make the saying of 'No" easier for Howard.

It could all be planned (conspiracy if you please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back