2008 Recruits and Departures

Remove this Banner Ad

bomberboy_19

Rookie
Mar 27, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
shan emmett to stay with congupna for another year, after winning the bnf pretty easily from all reports, barooga will no dout gain a few and try to get that much needed flag, who else?

No departures at Ramland, just four or five walk up starters to come back into the senior side:thumbsu:.
Great feeling at the club again with the boys wanting to start training already:).
Average age in 2007 was 21;).
Rams to play finals 2008:D.

willo1

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Mountain Goats
From today's Riverine Herald:

KEAM TO COACH MAGPIES

October 3 2007
Riverine Herald

Former Robinvale coach Shannon Keam will lead Moama Football Club into the 2008 Murray Football League season.
Keam confirmed with Moama president Craig Beck he would take the reigns for the Magpies, cementing the agreement in plenty of time for the coming preseason.

Dimboola-born Keam has spent the past few years coaching and playing for Robinvale in the Sunraysia Football League and is looking forward to taking charge of the Magpies contingent.

"I'm excited. Definitely excited. We have got a lot of young guys and if we recruit the right players it should be fairly exciting," he said.

"We have got a young list and off the field the club are doing a couple of things different. It has been a few lean years but we will look to get the club back where it used to be."

Keam is a friend of Magpies' player and 2007 assistant coach Luke Eldridge and has stayed up to date with Moama's progress as a result.

"I'm a good mate with Luke, so we have kept in touch. They have a lot of good juniors in the under 17s. I think they came third (in the finals) and the ressies finished third and played finals.

"So there is a good grounding. We just need to recruit a couple of blokes to complement the younger guys and develop those younger guys who are there."

The 27-year-old started his football with Dimboola, but has since played in Adelaide, Darwin and had a brief stint with Moama five years ago, along the way picking up a multitude of accolades and a wealth of experience.

"I got a couple of best and fairests for Dimmy, represented the Wimmera league three times and the Sunraysia league last year.

"I played with Moama five years ago. I got five or six games before a family tragedy took us back home."

A sturdy on-baller with the ability to push up or back, Keam is unsure where he will fit into the line-up at this stage but is keen to get preparation under way in the lead up to next season.

"I will get more of a gauge on where I will fit in when we get closer to the season.

"We will definitely have a lot harder preseason than what they have had the last few years. Definitely a bit more structured."

Moama president Craig Beck is pleased with the signing of Keam and welcomed him to the club.

"Shannon comes to the club with a very impressive coaching record," he said.

"With three years coaching Dimboola and the last two years at Robinvale, he took sides into four grand finals.

"A centre and forward player, Shannon will head the list of several new key position players at the club next year.

"With these additions along with our exciting list of younger players Moama Football Netball Club is looking to becoming the big improvers next season."

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
From today's Riverine Herald:

KEAM TO COACH MAGPIES

October 3 2007
Riverine Herald

"We will definitely have a lot harder preseason than what they have had the last few years. Definitely a bit more structured."

Interesting dig at his predecessors seeing that he hasnt been at the club over the past few years, his mate Luke Eldrdge maybe wasn't too happy with past pre-seasons?

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
Tongala
Ins at this stage
Adam Brunt (Ass Coach)
Darin Ohlsen (returning from Rushworth)

No outs at this point in time but question marks over a couple of players.

boora

Senior List
Jan 25, 2006
shepparton
AFL Club
Collingwood
rumba -

talking to pickett, whyman, murray's x 3, a couple from gv clubs and afew from local league's.

will be talking to afew boys that will be up this way this weekend, for footy/netball carnival and some guys from nfl in melbourne.

there's a chance that jarrod atkinson and rex taylor could be back at rumba, if not rookie listed.

talking to afew potential coaches with afl exp.

gokats09

Draftee
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
what about the boys from the thirds grandfinal? there were a few good players out there that will flourish as seniors in years to come. has anyone approached them boys? or has the clubs tried to retain them?

willo1

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Mountain Goats
what about the boys from the thirds grandfinal? there were a few good players out there that will flourish as seniors in years to come. has anyone approached them boys? or has the clubs tried to retain them?
Obviously club's try their hardest to retain the junior players who have developed right through from their juniors, but I wouldn't think that other clubs would approach and aim to recruit kids when they're only 17 or 18 years old. Especially when factors like school and university could take them away from their home clubs for 3 or 4 years.

In saying this, when they return as 21-22 year old men and possibly after playing football in Metro leagues at a quality standard, club's in the local area would endevour to lure fresh, young blood across.

morgs01

Senior List
Apr 27, 2006
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rumbalara, Warma Turtles
rumba -

talking to pickett, whyman, murray's x 3, a couple from gv clubs and afew from local league's.

will be talking to afew boys that will be up this way this weekend, for footy/netball carnival and some guys from nfl in melbourne.

there's a chance that jarrod atkinson and rex taylor could be back at rumba, if not rookie listed.

talking to afew potential coaches with afl exp.

All players mention will have talk with us over the weekend at the carnival also a couple of ex SANFL players coming across to play will also have a look around the club.

Whyman has said if not picked up by another AFL club he will return to Echuca, won't bother with VFL, Rumba have already had talks and he has agreed to play there next season in coaching role.

Getz101

Draftee
Sep 15, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Any national Aussie teams
By the sounds of things Rumba will be looking at finals action if they can recruit even a few of the players mentioned.

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
By the sounds of things Rumba will be looking at finals action if they can recruit even a few of the players mentioned.

By the sounds of it Rumba will be spending s**t loads of money next year even if they only get half of the players they have mentioned on here. If they can sign some of these blokes they should be the big improver next season.

toquick

All Australian
Mar 1, 2007
Airlie Beach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dont forget it is silly season and everyone will be throwing names around now. Some of those players would be mad to give up what they have worked so hard for and drop down and play Murray League. Even though i think the standard of the league has lifted over the last couple of years, still a waste of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cackles23

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2006
tallygaroopna
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some rumours floating around here are that Tim Hargreave's of Yarra will play at Nathalia next year.....and Dallas Gallagher from Yarra has been linked with both Barooga & Toc.

arctic hall

Draftee
Feb 8, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
"yarra look set to lose a few with simon Rudd, Adam Rudd an Phil Bourke already committed to Cobram its a wonder a journo from the border mail wasn onto that a bit quicker!!!
jason wild an tim hargraves are both yet to commit an are fielding offers from barooga an nathalia, the only good news for yarra is the possible return of josh Frawley!"

a quote from the O&M thread... are these comments true??
would be a handy 3 to cobram

willo1

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Mountain Goats
From today's Riv Herald:

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED
By Tim Doutre

October 12 2007
Riverine Herald

Former Eagle Duane Heuston has returned to the flock, taking up the coaching reign at Echuca United after playing for Shepparton United last season.
The Shepparton-born talent went back to Shepparton this year for a season in the Goulburn Valley Football League, but has returned to the Eagles where he spent the previous two years as assistant coach.

While Heuston has not had a lot of time to prepare, he is looking forward to taking on the Eagles' head role.

"I'm basically just very excited and keen to get on with the job," he said.

"(I have) got a fair bit of knowledge and experience from playing under a few coaches.

"I will just basically be looking for the players to get more enjoyment out of their footy in a fun atmosphere and get them playing a different, exciting brand of footy."

Heuston, who works in Shepparton as a primary school teacher, lives in Echuca and, as a result, he was constantly travelling during this year's football season.

This, along with his desire to try his hand at a head coaching role and his knowledge of the Eagles, were major factors in his decision.

"It was easy to take it (the job) because I live here and I have travelled for a long time playing footy," he said.

"I'm happy not to be travelling, that was one of the factors, it makes life a lot easier.

"I just thought this is what I wanted to do, I wanted to have a go at coaching.

"I know a lot of the history of the club. It's a great club, you are always accepted here and I know a lot of the current playing list, I have played with a fair few of them before, which will be an advantage."

Throughout the season, Heuston kept his eye on the Eagles and followed their progress.

The one thing he has planned is to have a solid preseason in the lead up to Christmas.

"Preseason will probably start in November, but we haven't worked out any dates. Probably train for a month before Christmas and build up our overall fitness," Heuston said.

"I really want to get started with a fresh new approach."

United president Robin Rowbottom is thrilled to have Heuston back in blue and yellow.

"We are very excited about it. He's an absolute class footballer and a class person, which is exactly what we wanted," he said.

"He's a Murray league representative, a Goulburn Valley representative, a Victorian Country Football League representative and an absolute class forward and onballer.

"He has been at Box Hill Hawks under the Hawthorn Football Club, so he will bring with him a wealth of experience as a player.

"His ability as a player is second to none. He is one of the best country footballers going around."

Heuston as a playing coach is sure to bring something different to the Eagles next season, but Rowbottom was quick to praise former coach Mark Heritage.

"It will be a change. They will have different styles, there is no doubt, but I think it will continue on from Mark's good work. We will continue to improve," he said.

"He will bring leadership on the ground and will have a different style to Mark as a playing coach compared to a non-playing coach. With respect to both the positions they are two different roles.

"He will bring new ideas and freshness to the club and will continue with the professionalism that Mark had."

Rowbottom said Heuston was someone the United board had been targeting, but interest in the position had been positive.

"He (Heuston) has been someone who was always on the cards, but we had several on the cards.

"We had terrific interest. We didn't advertise it, it was all through word of mouth, and we believe we have got the best candidate."

With a new coach confirmed, Rowbottom is excited about future prospects for the club.

"We are very happy and looking forward to finals football next year," he said.

"We are not about to take a backwards step. We will be looking to continue on from the last couple of years."

cfscores

Debutant
Feb 1, 2006
On the Murray
AFL Club
Collingwood
"yarra look set to lose a few with simon Rudd, Adam Rudd an Phil Bourke already committed to Cobram its a wonder a journo from the border mail wasn onto that a bit quicker!!!
jason wild an tim hargraves are both yet to commit an are fielding offers from barooga an nathalia, the only good news for yarra is the possible return of josh Frawley!"

a quote from the O&M thread... are these comments true??
would be a handy 3 to cobram

Am pretty positive that the 3 are on the move and would be a big boost for the Tigers who have struggled last 2 years.

Rudds have bought a pub in Cobram as well as the fact they all work in town.

roos4flag

Draftee
Sep 8, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Obviously club's try their hardest to retain the junior players who have developed right through from their juniors, but I wouldn't think that other clubs would approach and aim to recruit kids when they're only 17 or 18 years old. Especially when factors like school and university could take them away from their home clubs for 3 or 4 years.

In saying this, when they return as 21-22 year old men and possibly after playing football in Metro leagues at a quality standard, club's in the local area would endevour to lure fresh, young blood across.

With big recruiting phases now in and obviously the game becoming an game for the younger years (20-26 year olds) Do you think clubs are possibly looking at boys from the TAC competition inparticular the Bushrangers or Pioneers as they are more than capable playing at Murray League after playing at such a high tempo level the previous years?

willo1

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Mountain Goats
With big recruiting phases now in and obviously the game becoming an game for the younger years (20-26 year olds) Do you think clubs are possibly looking at boys from the TAC competition inparticular the Bushrangers or Pioneers as they are more than capable playing at Murray League after playing at such a high tempo level the previous years?
Absolutely, but only if they are to stay in the area for work etc. I know many clubs recruit players from towns which are hours away, and pay them big coin, but I'm just unsure on whether 18-19 year olds would travel back to the country when they could play footy in some of the higher divisions in Melbourne. I suppose it depends on the individual.

Catfreak

Draftee
Dec 14, 2007
Moama
AFL Club
Geelong
Departures Arrivals?

Does anyone know who has departed from the Murray league clubs and who has arrived? Here's my take so far
Moama - Departures Any one they paid last year?
Arrivals Djaren Whyman, New coach, some bloke from Sunbury who has only played 2's and a few player from Echuca who have played buggerall seniors
Mulwala - Departures Jason Sanderson + a car load of senior footballers
Arrivals bugger-all
Congupna-Departures probably whoever was any good to GV
Arrivals probably half a dozen mediocre players from GV
Tongala - Departures a few
Arrivals a few blokes working at the abbatior
Finley - Pass

Barooga - Pass

Cobram - Arrivals probably a Rudd or two
Departures anyone wanting to play finals

Tocumwal - Pass
Nathalia - Departures Pass
Arrivals probably a few blokes flown In from WA NT
Numurkah - Pass

United - Arrivals Heuston, Retallick, Swanky, Hazelman, + more
Departures too early to tell

Rumba - Arrivals deemed to have quality arriving from all over
Depatures unknown
Deniliquin - Deemed to Have a lot of returning quality to re stake a claim

Has anyone got any new info as a lot of these teams are still in the chase with a lot of big names up for grabs

Smithilicious

Cancelled
Jan 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Re: Departures Arrivals?

Moama havent lost any good players..
they have gained however... Djaran whyman, shannon keam, john harley, ross sleight(sunbury), Cam mcabe(sunbury supposed to be a gun), as for the sunbury bloke you said played mainly twos his name is luke allen, he spent most of last year suspended or injured thats why he only played a handful of senior games. in 2006 though he kicked 60 goals in the ballarat league, also chris eddy, tommy higgins, john foskett, matty Rickards, eddie bourke and a s**t load of decent players. plus your better players from last year jade pumpa, luke eldridge, ben mason etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back