News New Geelong logos

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Do u like the new logos?

I hope people who have a say in the logo design look at threads like this, but its probably falling to deaf ears.

Thanks dude. Unfortunately I think it's too late to have an influence into the design as merchandise has already been shipped to stores with the first logo :mad:.

If anything it may change the future process that the football club goes through when doing anything like this. They quite obviously got their market research wrong on this one.

All up I feel it is a slight improvement.

gfc.jpg

I agree with your analysis of the weaknesses in the design, and your work is excellent, especially the eyes and teeth. Well done. :thumbsu:

the slightest changes make a world of difference.

Quickly send them off to the gfc!
These please me too. The others were very ordinary - if you are going to change a logo it needs to be considerably better than the present one - the last one is probably the best - don't need "Cats" as the Cat is self-evident. I like the ribbon banner too - bit of class.:thumbsu:

the slightest changes make a world of difference.

Quickly send them off to the gfc!

Far too late.

In fact, both logo's posted in this thread have been set in stone since June / July this year.

...Even before a stitch of merchandise had been made!

I do, however, like a lot of the modifications moth_15 has made. It's just annoying looking at them knowing they'll never be.:(

I do, however, like a lot of the modifications moth_15 has made. It's just annoying looking at them knowing they'll never be.:(
I think that is what is really annoying, people on here have designed a lot better logos with some small alterations, but they'll never see the light of day.

Again I'll state, if there had been some proper consultation with members then perhaps we would have ended up with a better logo.

BTW, excellent work moth_15!! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the comments guys. They're only subtle changes but I think it makes a real difference.

good to see mods of the logo's but i'd find it hard to believe that those options presented weren't looked at in the development process.

Agree. I'm guessing there would have been quite a few variations over the two years of development.

I was once told clients always find a way to f-up a good job. I would imagine options like these were presented to the club but from experience, having dealt with the club previously on similar types of projects, they don't always go with what you think is the best option.

As a designer you have to remember to satisfy the client and not yourself. What you think is terrific in your eyes may not meet the brief in the clients eyes. The client pays the bill so they get what they want.

In this case the footy club have chosen what they think is best and we will have to live with it.

But that doesn't mean we have to like it :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom right hand logo will do me. I hate Geelong Cats, Melbourne Demons - Hawthorn Hawks??? Tassie Hawks or whatever. Sydney Swans are Sydney OR the Swans. "We are Geelong!"

I think that is what is really annoying, people on here have designed a lot better logos with some small alterations, but they'll never see the light of day.

Again I'll state, if there had been some proper consultation with members then perhaps we would have ended up with a better logo.

BTW, excellent work moth_15!! :thumbsu:

The range of opinions about these new choices might suggest how difficult a consensus amongst members would have been to achieve.

We might not like the logo(s), but the club making an arbitrary decision was probably the right one. You imagine the bitching and hostility a vote like that would generate.

Sure we're disappointed, but not personally invested.

Re: 150 year merchandise

Sorry guys dont want to intrude, but wasnt Geelong formed in July 1859? So therefore its not your 150th next year, neither is it the AFL's 150th, as the original comp was the VFA, and we know that the VFL which became the AFL was formed in 1897.

I believe the 150 celebrations are about the "birth"/"orgins" of the game Australian Football. It's purely in celebration of the game Australian Football-not in reference to any competition (as was the case with the 1996 Centenary of the VFL/AFL-commenced in 1897)

Ok, I was a little disappointed like a lot of you with the new designs. I think they are sort of on the right track but some serious consideration and refinement needed to be done before signing them off.

I have seen the first logo on some merchandise so it is definitely a goer.

For me the typography really needed some more thought. Impact and Copperlate are not exactly the most exciting typefaces, and their placement is a little puzzling. The cat wasn't bold enough. They eyes look quite vacant and the teeth just aren't menacing enough.

So I've had a quick play with the logo just to see if I could improve it at all. I've worked with the eyeline to portray a more focussed cat with bigger eyes. I have made the teeth a little more aggressive and changed the shield be more dynamic. I haven't played with type a great deal but included the old CATS type from the 80's-90's logo we love so much.

All up I feel it is a slight improvement.

gfc.jpg
Bottom left or right for - probably on the right as I don't like Geelong Cats running together - sounds like a basketball team. The more I look at these two, the more I like them!

Fantastic effort, these look terrific.

Anything except the original i'd be happy with!

My fav is probably the top or bottom right.

Guess i'll still be left wondering why we need a change...

good to see mods of the logo's but i'd find it hard to believe that those options presented weren't looked at in the development process.

the original looks more like a cat. and in the act of pouncing.

heavier lines and eyes make it look like a cunning fox.
I thought the original looked like a bloody Tasmanian devil.

Just for what it's worth I've had a go at a quick revise.
I've gotten rid of the "wave" effect at the top of the cat head.
Then using the space created intergrating the word "CATS".
Looks a little more combined as a thought to me. A bit cleaner.
I actually think the cat looks a bit meaner with the deletion of the wave and the white detailing.
Done quickly,would need further finessing, but for discussion.

CATS_REWORK_1_391213.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Cats_retouch_391229.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
gfc-1_wave_391253.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just for what it's worth I've had a go at a quick revise.
I've gotten rid of the "wave" effect at the top of the cat head.
Then using the space created intergrating the word "CATS".
Looks a little more combined as a thought to me. A bit cleaner.
I actually think the cat looks a bit meaner with the deletion of the wave and the white detailing.
Done quickly,would need further finessing, but for discussion.

My favourite by far. The wavy bit at the top wrecked the logo, now you've fixed it haha.
I must admit, the new logos are growing on me.

I dig the new logo(s). I think they are major upgrade compared with what my Hawks did. I can't wiat to see the new jumpers with that logo.

Some of these altered logos are so much better that the two the club has at the moment. The EPL crap has to go for sure. The wavy eyes are also ridiculous.

Maybe the wavy thing above the eyes is a seagull? Kinda looks like one and being an historic logo maybe it is a clever but hidden way of incorporating the history of the reason why Geelong wear blue and white in which white was to represent the seagulls over Corio bay represented by blue. Just an idea, and moth_15s redesigned logos make the wave look a lot more like a seagull.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back