News New Geelong logos

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Do u like the new logos?

Maybe the wavy thing above the eyes is a seagull? Kinda looks like one and being an historic logo maybe it is a clever but hidden way of incorporating the history of the reason why Geelong wear blue and white in which white was to represent the seagulls over Corio bay represented by blue. Just an idea, and moth_15s redesigned logos make the wave look a lot more like a seagull.

You could be onto something there.

Given the Cats were occasionally called "The Seagulls" before they were "The Pivotonians", there may be a sneaky inclusion in the logo now you mention it.

moth_15

Rookie
Oct 28, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong

Logo is being used on the cover of the Victory Pack, as well as the 2007 Season Highlights.

Mmmm...not sure they should be using this logo for this particular purpose. In 2007 the shield was our logo, and being the 2007 Victory Pack and 2007 Highlights I think it should reflect what was current then. The new logo is for next year and beyond, not the past season of 2007.

However the logo does look slightly better with some shading and embossing as seen on the victory pack.

Looks like they picked that logo then if it is at Ezy DVD. Will the other one be used as well or is that a attempt to make the new logo a surprise for Saturday.

SeanoFooty

Draftee
Oct 30, 2007
Colac
AFL Club
Geelong

Heres my idea for the new one which I think would keep a lot of people happy. Bit of old and new. What do you all think of this?
moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
MyGFCLogo.jpg

I only did it in paint, so if someone wants to mess with the same idea in something better go for it.:)

Cats Pyjamas

Debutant
Oct 10, 2007
Elwood, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong

I think the cat's face on the logo is a pretty pathetic representation of a 'fierce' looking cat. I got my cat Leroy to pull his best angry face for me as a comparison. It was kind of short notice but I think he did an okay job (especially since he's normally quite pleasant). I'm thinking of sending it to the club to use as a guide.

comparison.jpg

ROARisWAR

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys

I think they look like s**t

for God sake keep the old one before putting out this crap

I'm all for changing the logo but it has to be something with
a bit of BITE! Not a bloody Whiskers ad:thumbsdown:

MOONEY 21

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Mmmm...not sure they should be using this logo for this particular purpose. In 2007 the shield was our logo, and being the 2007 Victory Pack and 2007 Highlights I think it should reflect what was current then. The new logo is for next year and beyond, not the past season of 2007.

However the logo does look slightly better with some shading and embossing as seen on the victory pack.

This is not on. Thats NOT our logo for 2007 and is NOT the logo we won the premiership with.

That logo should not be on any of the dvds at all. It was not part of our image in our premiership year and should not go on ANY of the premiership merchandise as not one of us had even seen that logo prior to 4 days ago.

This is really grinding my gears. And the more i look at those logos the more i hate them.

The dvds look wrong.

Waverley73

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2006
Trapped Under Ice
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC

This is not on. Thats NOT our logo for 2007 and is NOT the logo we won the premiership with.

That logo should not be on any of the dvds at all. It was not part of our image in our premiership year and should not go on ANY of the premiership merchandise as not one of us had even seen that logo prior to 4 days ago.

This is really grinding my gears. And the more i look at those logos the more i hate them.

The dvds look wrong.

I hear what you're saying but that lame looking cat on the original DVD that came out the day after the Grand Final isn't really part of our image this year (or any other for that matter) either.

It does seem odd that they've put it on there seeing it isn't even our logo yet but it doesn't change the fact 119 is a pretty cool number now. Jimmy still drills that left foot goal from 50 out after a very good passage of play.

GEELONG - PREMIERS 2007

MOONEY 21

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I hear what you're saying but that lame looking cat on the original DVD that came out the day after the Grand Final isn't really part of our image this year (or any other for that matter) either.

It does seem odd that they've put it on there seeing it isn't even our logo yet but it doesn't change the fact 119 is a pretty cool number now. Jimmy still drills that left foot goal from 50 out after a very good passage of play.

GEELONG - PREMIERS 2007

yeah i hear what youre saying, but that cat was a WEG cat, WEG characters are never part of a teams imagery during the year.

yeah i hear what youre saying, but that cat was a WEG cat, WEG characters are never part of a teams imagery during the year.
I don't understand why the WEG poster image wasn't used on the DVD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I have to say that I am getting used to the logo visually, but the whole "Geelong Cats" thing still turns my stomach.

If the club genuinely tries to push this re-branding to the "Geelong Cats" (i.e, club hierarchy referring to the club in the press as....), some sort of campaign should be mounted against it. Beginning here!!

Fight the powers that be!:mad:

What do we think?

Mooney_d'King

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

GEELONG - PREMIERS 2007

Maybe they're hoping to associate the new logo with a new era of success, and if so I don't mind. In the context of those covers, I actually think it looked pretty good, especially with the 3D effect shading it had.

BTW, a big thanks to LEROY for his modelling job, that was great!!!!

PS> I've never liked the 80's logo with the cartoon cats and that disgusting slanty/curvy big font.

I have to say that I am getting used to the logo visually, but the whole "Geelong Cats" thing still turns my stomach.

If the club genuinely tries to push this re-branding to the "Geelong Cats" (i.e, club hierarchy referring to the club in the press as....), some sort of campaign should be mounted against it. Beginning here!!

Fight the powers that be!:mad:

What do we think?
I agree. The term 'Geelong Cats' should never be used. Same goes for the rest of the VFL clubs - 'Hawthorn Hawks', 'St Kilda Saints' - no good.

It is the Geelong Football Club, known as the Cats.

Gee the ISC logo went up quickly. I guess 2008 AFL new year is about to click over in 7 minutes.

Jul 17, 2004
Hotlanta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
UGA, KSU, Knox C.C

Maybe the wavy thing above the eyes is a seagull? Kinda looks like one and being an historic logo maybe it is a clever but hidden way of incorporating the history of the reason why Geelong wear blue and white in which white was to represent the seagulls over Corio bay represented by blue. Just an idea, and moth_15s redesigned logos make the wave look a lot more like a seagull.

I can see that after taking another look. I wonder if it's accidental or deliberate? That would be interesting to find out.

I like the look of some of these ones that moth came out with. I am just not a fan of the official ones, they seem to be a bit of a mish-mash.

Waverley73

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2006
Trapped Under Ice
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Just got a letter from the club regarding our year and the new logos. It seems both will be implemented - the first one is the main marketing logo and the second one will appear on the players jumpers.

I am liking them both the more I look at them.

Geelong2008Logo2.jpg

Geelong2008Logo1.jpg

moth_15

Rookie
Oct 28, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong

Theres an advert in the Geelong Addy today about the relaunch of the cats shop. Picture of Tom Harley and a byline something like "A beginning of a new era. Geelong Cats!"

Are we officially the Geelong Cats now?

Ling Sting

All Australian
Jun 12, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Geelong
yeah it'll be interesting to see them in context i.e. on jumpers, flags, letterheads etc.

Like anything though I'm sure we'll all get used to them.

I don't mind the idea of having the second one as the jumper logo

Interesting call by the club. I just hope they put it in the constitution now that the jumper logo is not allowed to change so that the club can build a real big tradition with the logo as well as the jumper.

Oct 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How bloody stupid!!

Isn't the whole point of a logo / shield / crest etc.., is that you have a single visual representation of something that everyone can rally behind?

One image that says 'that's my club, or family, or whatever'. Something that instantly flags recognition in everyone else.

Why would you want to muddy the waters with two official logos? It makes no sense.

I mean you could make some vague stupidly flawed case if they were both completely different. But the fact they are both based around the same shield design makes it even worse!

In a word: DUMB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back