Fr Gerard Dowling on SEN (with KB)

Remove this Banner Ad

And he stuck up for North Melbourne not relocating so staunchly, despite all the pro-relocation propaganda spewing from KB's lips.

Good for you Father Gerard and good on KB for giving him the airtime.

Speaking of Father Dowling I'm in the middle of reading "The North Story" (original book signed by Father Gerard) again. I thought it was an appropriate time to read it again.

A quote from the book in the Prologue under THE NORTH TRADITION heading :-

"In two aspects North Melbourne stands second to none. One is the loyalty of its supporters. The other is the determination to carry on, despite its disadvantages. In the face of adversity, which might well have broken the spirit of most men, we find that from the earliest days there were always enthusiasts to fight for North Melbourne - The Australasian, 15 June 1940"

It was great listening. KB is unbelievable. Talk about a doomsayer! For every positive fighting comment made by the good Father KB would retort with a "Yeah but....................".

I am rapt he gave time to Fr GD but bloody hell his poxy "It's too hard to survive in Melbourne" attitude and AFL influenced propaganda is driving me friggin NUTS!!!!!!!!

Mark Fine..................the KING of sen passion and reason makes KB look like a complete jerk!

T'toes

"In two aspects North Melbourne stands second to none. One is the loyalty of its supporters. The other is the determination to carry on, despite its disadvantages. In the face of adversity, which might well have broken the spirit of most men, we find that from the earliest days there were always enthusiasts to fight for North Melbourne - The Australasian, 15 June 1940"

This should be in the T-Shirt thread.:thumbsu:

Speaking of Father Dowling I'm in the middle of reading "The North Story" (original book signed by Father Gerard) again. I thought it was an appropriate time to read it again.

It's on WANM's letterhead - something outsiders can underestimate at their peril.

How old is Father Dowling BTW? Do you see him around the club a lot?

Fine Historian, really enjoyed the exerts I have read of his in the past. Man i would love that gig.

How old is Father Dowling BTW? Do you see him around the club a lot?

Fine Hostorian, really enjoyed the exerts I have read of his in the past. Man i would love that gig.

From the book

"About the Author.

Father Dowling, born on 30 August 1932, has a vivid recollection of his early years as a young supporter of the club and can remember seeing the North team play in its first ever final series at Princes Park in 1945"

The North Story book should be available from the NMFC Shop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the book

"About the Author.

Father Dowling, born on 30 August 1932, has a vivid recollection of his early years as a young supporter of the club and can remember seeing the North team play in its first ever final series at Princes Park in 1945"

Not in The Roos shop anymore, I had been looking for it for years, even went to see Santo at Melbourne Sports books and he didnt have any. I found the book in a Salvation army shop in Somerton, still in good nick I couldn't believe it, picked it up for $5.00.

Why someone would even part with the North Story is bamboozling, Their loss, my gain I guess. :)

There will be 24 carat solid gold dumbells in the new gym though, won't there?

Nah, not in print anymore.

If somebody could scan every page and host it somewhere i'd be forever grateful:D

hmmmmmmmm ok took me 30 minutes to scan, resize & upload.
How long for the rest of the book?

This is from The original book. (I hope Father Dowling doesn't mind)

northstorycu4.jpg

Father White Shoe Brigade will have an easier task when he writes the
"Gold Coast Story".
Will be quite a short read.

The Gold Coast Rollers started in 2010.
Folded in 2015.

hmmmmmmmm ok took me 30 minutes to scan, resize & upload.
How long for the rest of the book?

This is from The original book. (I hope Father Dowling doesn't mind)

northstorycu4.jpg

That looks like the original 1974 edition. They're pretty rare. I have one that I got from the local library when they were getting rid of some of their old books. I also have the later one signed by Gerard Dowling.

But the book is essential reading for any North supporter.

Check out the different words in the song!
You learn something new every day ;)

indeed you do. Never knew that one.

have searched online for the North Story for years with no luck, can't believe the way people have picked these gems up in the manner they have. :eek:

really wished they reprinted it, make a nice gift for a few family members.

From the book

"About the Author.

cheers for that CR. Would love to chew the fat with him, sounds like an absolute wealth of info.

indeed you do. Never knew that one.

have searched online for the North Story for years with no luck, can't believe the way people have picked these gems up in the manner they have. :eek:

really wished they reprinted it, make a nice gift for a few family members.

There was a reprinted & updated version recently, I'm surprised there aren't still around. I have 1 of them too :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back