Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talknig to Brodie Moles' brother Shane and he's certain Brodie will be picked up in the ND. I've got a carton of beer on him not.

Wise move?

Perhaps D. CRESSWELL should be footing the bill for the "cartoon" after stone-cold declaring (numerous times) that Brodie would be drafted!!:thumbsdown:

As we have just seen there are no guarantees in the ND.

Feel for the Tassie boys who were looked over, particularly Joseph, Bellchambers and Bowden who had all been heavily speculated about. Hopefully there chance may come via PSD or the Rookie List.

On the topic of players moving, one defection I cannot believe hasn't made it on to here is that of Superstar goalkicker Ben Van Kraanen from North Hobart to Hobart, no doubt on the back of promises made by his ex team mate and new coach Todd Lewis.

Haven't heard of his? Let me paint a picture for you, one nameless ex team mate called him a "Poor man's Robbie Devine!"

Anyone closer to League Headquarters care to comment on this young gun?

There is one real good reason that this defection has not made it on to here..... because it is not big news.

Ben Van K is a handy magoos player but will struggle to make an impact in senior footy at any SFL Premier League club, particularly against the better sides, where his lack of pace and mobility can be exposed.

Perhaps D. CRESSWELL should be footing the bill for the "cartoon" after stone-cold declaring (numerous times) that Brodie would be drafted!!:thumbsdown:

Feel for the Tassie boys who were looked over, particularly Joseph, Bellchambers and Bowden who had all been heavily speculated about. Hopefully there chance may come via PSD or the Rookie List.

Haha good Old Cressa, how the hell is he coaching at VFL Level? Are applicants marked on drinking skills, and if so, even then Cresswell is lacking.

I'm happy with my carton, and feel for Tommy Bellchambers and Joseph.

Just one Tassie pick in AFL draft
AFL Tasmania's decentralised system and weak local competitions have resulted in only one Tasmanian being picked up in yesterday's AFL draft -- and the state's major footballing body is taking full responsibility.
Mariners, Devils and Lauderdale key defender Tom Collier was the only Tasmanian name read out yesterday, going to Brisbane with pick 25, while the likes of Launceston's Tom Bellchambers and Glenorchy duo Brodie Moles and Aaron Joseph were overlooked.
AFL general manager Scott Wade said he was not surprised by the lack of locals selected, but hoped a few more might get picked in next month's rookie draft.
"It would have been nice to get more, but we are probably disappointed we haven't given Tom Bellchambers the best chance to get drafted," Wade said.
"And when I say we, I mean us as an organisation. We have to take some responsibility for not giving the guys the best opportunity."How about make that full responsibility, sooner you and your egos are replaced the better!
It tops off an annus horribilis for Tasmanian football, which saw the Devils collect their first wooden spoon and Tasmania lose to Queensland in the first representative game since 1999.
The last time Tasmania only had one player drafted was back in 2001, when Port Adelaide selected Barry Brooks with pick No.15, while even the Northern Territory and non-Australian Rules states New South Wales and Queensland had more players selected than Tasmania yesterday.
Wade said the lack of draftees also came from the standard of regional competitions, which was why AFL Tasmania was pushing for a revamped statewide league starting in 2009.
"If Tasmanian football fans don't realise now you won't get drafted by playing NTFL and SFL footy, then they will never realise it," he said.Seemed to get drafted alright before the inception of you clowns
"It is an enormously competitive environment and Tom Collier played one TAC Cup game, he played in the national championships in which he didn't dominate, but he played exceptional VFL footy. There is no doubt Tom Collier's VFL experience didn't do him any harm.
"Tom Bellchambers, he's a 200cm-plus guy and in hindsight, the program we had in place last year didn't do him any favours."
"He dominated the NTFL grand final, he played exceptionally good footy but it doesn't count for anything when young players are trying to get drafted.
"The quality of the competition is not good enough."
It is for this reason AFL Tasmania will base the Devils program in Hobart next season and is setting up a Centre for Excellence program at Bellerive Oval.
"We have to give our young players a better chance than we gave Tom Bellchambers, Aaron Joseph, Alex Grima, Jaye Bowden and those guys," Wade said.
"That is why we announced recently that Bellerive Oval will be the centre for excellence because there is a lot of young people in Australia who work a lot harder than some of our boys."Um, not sure what the message is here Wade.

LOL - One whole player drafted!

Looks like Tassie football is on a winner....
Wasn't the Devils supposed to get all these 'great' players drafted to the AFL?

Pissing 122-years of tradition and culture down the drain for this f*cking s**t - at least that Mariners were able to get some decent players drafted before they got demoted down to "sort of" status.

F*ck off Wade, Cresswell, and the rest of you freeloading, gravytrain *****!

Thanks for, in part, f*cking up the real sport of football here and turning it into a laughing stock and a bloody punchline.
Hope you're proud of yourselves you ego driven arse clowns :mad:
Same goes with all the other ********s like Hodgman, Davey, Abel, Sorrell and the rest of these bloody pin-dicks who helped f*ck up the proper league football and turn it into something resembling the Christian Seconds Sunday park football.

(Yeah I'm absolutely munted at the moment but I still stand 100% behind my comments) :thumbsu:

Couldnt' agree more Kingpin. I don't think the current system is working, i don't think the mariners were that effective either. QLD got 18 kids drafted or rookie listed last year and there good kids are playing in a senior comp. I think its time they looked at what is happening before its to late. As for Mellor commenting in today's paper that he was at a loss at the result, maybe he should take a good look at his coaching methods.

My sources tell me Sam Fielding is jetting off next week for a 10 day stint with East Fremantle. Looks likely to go, with the Sharks apparently chasing him pretty hard.

My sources tell me Sam Fielding is jetting off next week for a 10 day stint with East Fremantle. Looks likely to go, with the Sharks apparently chasing him pretty hard.

Wouldn't be dissimilar to certain BF members chasing others to their club ey?!!!!

Reason for looking if anyone can help, I'm trying to find a complete list of Tasmanians drafted by the VFL/AFL.
Found some stuff in Wikipedia tho incomplete
National Draft
'86 - 16 drafted, also inception of Statewide league
'87 - 8
'88 - 17
'89 - no record found
'90 - 14
'91 - no record found, Statewide league starts to fail
'92 - 3,
'93 - 1
'94 - 3
'95 - 1 Mariners/Under 18's started
'96 - 6 Under 18's, 5 Dev. 1
'97 - 2 Mariners
'98 - 4 Mariners
'99 - 3 Mariners
'00 - 1
'01 - 1 Mariners Devils formed
'02 - 2 Mariners
'03 - 3 Mariners 2, others 1
'04 - 3
'05 - 4 Mariners
'06 - 4 Mariners

Deductions
Statewide League did not help in drafting Tasmanian players, in fact the reverse. Mariners are what we need to focus on if our main aim is to run football in the State for the sole purpose of providing a pathway to the AFL(which it shouldn't be)
So Wades statement today that players will not get drafted if they play in regional comps is bulls**t, it was only since the inception of the first Statewide league that draftees fell from 16/17 to 3/4 and now 1. Out of the 27 Tasmanians drafted in the last 10 years 22 have been Mariners.

Found some stuff in Wikipedia tho incomplete
National Draft
'86 - 16 drafted, also inception of Statewide league
'87 - 8
'88 - 17
'89 - no record found
'90 - 14
'91 - no record found, Statewide league starts to fail
'92 - 3,
'93 - 1
'94 - 3
'95 - 1 Mariners/Under 18's started
'96 - 6 Under 18's, 5 Dev. 1
'97 - 2 Mariners
'98 - 4 Mariners
'99 - 3 Mariners
'00 - 1
'01 - 1 Mariners Devils formed
'02 - 2 Mariners
'03 - 3 Mariners 2, others 1
'04 - 3
'05 - 4 Mariners
'06 - 4 Mariners

Deductions
Statewide League did not help in drafting Tasmanian players, in fact the reverse. Mariners are what we need to focus on if our main aim is to run football in the State for the sole purpose of providing a pathway to the AFL(which it shouldn't be)
So Wades statement today that players will not get drafted if they play in regional comps is bulls**t, it was only since the inception of the first Statewide league that draftees fell from 16/17 to 3/4 and now 1. Out of the 27 Tasmanians drafted in the last 10 years 22 have been Mariners.

roortat you have no fuc*en idea, name tasie mariner players who has played over 100 games in the afl holland, green, robertson, rawlings anyone else their? i may have missd one or two. point being we are pumping two mill a year into this and their aint many successfull players coming out of it. look at qld, wa and sa who dont have the tac cup. they play against the men and get drafted out of that. yes have the mariners and have a couple of games against the tac clubs before the champs but at the moment if you see the mariners as a business she wouldnt be very profitable at all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why feel sorry for them if they arent good enough?

Couldnt' agree more Kingpin. I don't think the current system is working, i don't think the mariners were that effective either. QLD got 18 kids drafted or rookie listed last year and there good kids are playing in a senior comp. I think its time they looked at what is happening before its to late. As for Mellor commenting in today's paper that he was at a loss at the result, maybe he should take a good look at his coaching methods.
Dont be too harsh on Mellor, he only got the job cause he was Cresswells drinking and punting buddy from Qld. I was told he was already moving to Tassie b4 other applicants had even been interveiwed. Definatly sounds like something that would happen at AFL Tas.

roortat you have no fuc*en idea, name tasie mariner players who has played over 100 games in the afl holland, green, robertson, rawlings anyone else their? i may have missd one or two. point being we are pumping two mill a year into this and their aint many successfull players coming out of it. look at qld, wa and sa who dont have the tac cup. they play against the men and get drafted out of that. yes have the mariners and have a couple of games against the tac clubs before the champs but at the moment if you see the mariners as a business she wouldnt be very profitable at all!
You obviously didn't read the text very well. The premise was that the Statewide league as quoted by Wade in a previous post was the only way to get players drafted to the AFL. I stated that the Mariners had a higher success rate for drafting i.e 20 out of 27 in the last 10 years.
Mariners are what we need to focus on if our main aim is to run football in the State for the sole purpose of providing a pathway to the AFL(which it shouldn't be)
I did not state that the Mariners were a business. As far as I'm concerned Statewide League will NOT help football in the State as proved by the previous attempt and the subsequent lowering of the standard of football in the state as proved by the drafts of 16 in '86, 8 in '87 and 17 in '88 which can't be attributed to the Statewide league which was only newly formed. I don't know what you were inferring to with your 100 games yardstick but I don't think a club usually applies that when drafting a player.

You obviously didn't read the text very well. The premise was that the Statewide league as quoted by Wade in a previous post was the only way to get players drafted to the AFL. I stated that the Mariners had a higher success rate for drafting i.e 20 out of 27 in the last 10 years.

I did not state that the Mariners were a business. As far as I'm concerned Statewide League will NOT help football in the State as proved by the previous attempt and the subsequent lowering of the standard of football in the state as proved by the drafts of 16 in '86, 8 in '87 and 17 in '88 which can't be attributed to the Statewide league which was only newly formed. I don't know what you were inferring to with your 100 games yardstick but I don't think a club usually applies that when drafting a player.

please...... if you dont look at a potential draftee and think that he cannot play 100 games , you dont draft him ,
i agree with hardnut69 , regarding looking at a team , organisation , or program as a business, if you dont get results be it $ for a business or draftees in this case it is not working, if you put something in place with the goal of " oh we will see how we go " and then not measuring your results it means the is no room for -1. improvement in a program, 2. knowing where you went wrong in the planning of a program and 3. there are roles within AFL tas that are "RESPONSABLE" for "DEVELOPMENT" this should be one of many criteria someone in this role would have to have goals , bench marks and standards to abide by , these are things that make things successful , having a plan and measuring results, if you dont you get left behind with everyone else.
the blame however cannot be placed on Mellor having only 1 year with the lads, give him time and im sure he will deliver, because when you look at last year we had 4 absolute morals to be drafted, they all played devils footy against MEN.
i think that you have either 1. devils program dedicated to getting players drafted and having young kids developed into ready made players , not project players that are 50/50 in getting drafted , or 2 , have a statewide league where the best kids play against the best players in the state week in week out.

i will agree their roo rat, statewide is not the way to go. why not do what qld and give each club 30K plus they put in a development officer to handle the funds. this will entice players who arent playing vfl to stay playing sfl ntfl but keeps the coaches of a higher quality cause clubs can afford them. i think the mariners is just a lost cause and another way for people to get a free trip every few weeks!

i guess you need people who are in management who want to be their and want to do it for the right reasons. i think the mariners though pump young kids egos and abilitys up to what they arent and i would love to see the stats of kids who went through the mariners and arent even playing footy three years atfter they come out!

Collier would have been drafted even if there was no Devils or Mariners but he must be a better player and ready to go seeing he's been through the system.

Any players that drop back are going to be better for it but its a good point re how many EX-MAriners are still playing footy 3 years after going through the program.

Anyone that thinks the Devils and Mariners programs are a waste of time should have been at the Devils/Mariners awards night and witnessed Ben Careless's farewell speech. Careless is a classic example of a 2nd tier Elite player who deserves to play in a 2nd tier comp like the VFL. He was clearly proud to have represented the state and in a few years Budgie and co will follow suite.

Its surely a good reward for the Ben Atkin or Nathan Howard's to be able to look back and say they played X games for their state. So I'm pro Devils & Mariners but must say a bit sus about a new Statewide league.

This idea of having new teams represent zones is surely the most craziest thing on earth!!!!

Thats about splitting clubs down the middle. Now is that smart? So where does the Eastern Shore team train? Clarence High? Come on, this is surely not going to happen?

At least its all not doom and gloom like back around 2000. Things are better, AFL is here in the state, The Devils will turn it around and local clubs are back on their feet.

2oo8 Tips: Devils to finish 9th, Glenorchy to win back to back & Huonville to get up over Claremont in in Joc's farewell season.

New Footy Internet show "The Map" takes it by storm with Cameron Blight winning the SFL Strong Man Bench Press Competition. Comp is open to players, trainers and support staff.

Duff's tips for the comp are:

1. Cameron Blight
2. Budgie Geappen
3. That bloke with the tatts from Sorell reserves
4. Pud Darcey
5. Greg Sharman

Plan will be to get a few players in each week from different clubs. Have a super 8 and then Grand Final. Any tips on how a bench press comp is run?

Better do some work.

You write better when your *****ed(off) than I do sober. Just wish the rest of the football "family" in the State would stand up for themselves in the same vein.
LOL I must've been well on the path Roorat, I can't even remember typing that :cool:

In regard to '89 - I can't exactly tell you how many got drafted (the '89 Yearbook tells me two-fifths of nothing), but I remember North Hobart lost a heap out of their premiership side from that year, and finished well down the bottom in 1990 - as to how many got drafted to the (VFL) AFL, I'm not sure.
Quite a few of those returned in '91 and helped win them another flag, they lost very few from that '91 premiership team and as a consequence, stayed pretty strong and won in '92 as well, then got beaten by North Launceston by 13-points (9.8.62 to 11.9.75) in the '93 Preliminary Final.
Hobart, who lost the '89 Grand Final to North Hobart I don't think lost any to the draft and bought in some bigname recruits to bolster that team and won in 1990.
That 1990 premiership side had only two players drafted for the following year from memory, Jamie Shanahan and Dale Hall (Lamprill got drafted at the end of '91 I'm pretty sure).
I think the players they lost at the end of 1990 were Shanahan, Hall, Graeme Fox, Tony Morwood, Leigh Franklin and I think 'Jughead' Roberts.

I'll hunt around further :thumbsu:

hardnut69 said:
i think the mariners though pump young kids egos and abilitys up to what they arent and i would love to see the stats of kids who went through the mariners and arent even playing footy three years atfter they come out!
It kinda seems to me that they see some young bloke play a couple of good matches against other young blokes and pump the poor buggers up like they're going to be the next Royce Hart or whoever, then it gets to their heads a bit and they invariably turn out to be disappointments when they have to face good opposition - same goes with Devil players who get pumped up and told how good they are but can't cut it.
Some of the young blokes I saw get drafted years ago like Fletcher, Pritchard, Hudson, Lamprill, Shanahan etc etc etc all played week in, week out against grown men and although built up in the press to some extent, didn't get much of a chance to bask in the publicity because they were busy making sure they held down their spots in senior TFL sides. It gave them a solid grounding.
These days they don't really have that and it's their loss in many ways.

It's a double-edged sword in a lot of ways, because whilst it sticks out like a sore thumb that the programs are not achieving the ultimate objective upon which they were founded on, there just aren't enough players of that calibre around any longer.
With the demotion of the sport here over the last 15 years or so - the last 10 especially - the lack of publicity, the lack of public involvement as opposed to years ago, the differing work hours these days (thanks to former TFL President Michael Kent) - it's hard to keep young blokes involved in footy these days (and in all sports for that matter), let alone enthused if they get the chop from the Mariners/Devils.
I don't think a Statewide League will work in any way whatsoever, I can see, in part, why they want to do it, but it's a logistical nightmare that defies common sense and will more than likely fail because of an abject failure to tailor it to proper local needs.
It seems to me to be something an AFL-employed desk driver from Victoria dreamed up to be totally honest - it lacks total common sense and seems to have no local knowledge whatsoever.
Better idea to have a TFL South and a TFL North and fight out a TFL statewide premiership each year until they can start to rebuild the game somewhat.
Whatever they do, it won't matter unless it receives much better publicity than what the sport currently gets.
The lack of decent local media content is a real problem here, in Hobart especially.
The Mercury might as well be the Hobart Herald Sun, 7ZR are a shadow of what they used to be and are only interested in the AFL, ABC-TV only bother with taking feeds from Melbourne of VFA games and commercial television was a lost cause years ago when it all became mainland owned.

Without a huge improvement in all of that it's a bit like pissing into a 60 knot Northerly really because at the moment, the sport desperately needs pumping up to keep youngsters (and those of my vintage) interested in it.

Where are they now?
Just as a matter of interest below are most of the names drafted since 95 beside them are the number of AFL games played. How many returned to the State and continued playing or made a name for themselves elsewhere? Fill in the blanks
'95
Adrian Burdon Carlton/S.A
'96
Daniel McAllister - 5
Leigh Brockman - 12 S.A
Mark Harwood - 30
Gerrard Bennerr - 32 S.A
Russel Robertson - 205
'97
Brodie Holland - 154
Justin Wood - 7
'98
Brady Rawlings - 158
Peter Street - 77
Luke Speers
Kurt Heazlewood
'99
Danny Roach - 1
Brad Green - 166
Patrick Wiggins - 12
'00
Simon Wiggins - 89
'01
Barry Brooks -10
'02
Jason Laycock - 42
Luke Shackleton - 1
'03
Billy Morrison
Alex Gilmour
Cameron thurley - 12
'04
Jesse Wells
Andrew Lee
Justin Sherman
'05
Grant Birchall
Sam Lonergan
Michael West

I nominate Mitchell Oliver from the Burnie Dockers. Good luck beating this 19 year old machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back