All Australian
May 18, 2006
Too far from the Action
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Guys,

We have recently gained permission from Moderators to post Training Reports from other Carlton Fan Forums in a separate thread on each of the four main Blues sites. If you are a poster on this site only, you may not get to see some of the excellent material posted on other Blues sites.

Now you won't even have to leave your favourite site, as we will cut and paste the body of text from the other sites as it comes to hand for you.

Please do not link posts from other sites as this often upsets the integrity of other sites posting rules.

In time, this means that we could have half a dozen Training Reports each time our boys hit the hallowed turf of Princes Park.

So if you have compiled a Training Report, no matter how brief, please post here. :cool:

BrizzyBlue

All Australian
May 18, 2006
Too far from the Action
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Well that didn't take long! Great stuff from Timetodeliver2004 Thanks :cool:

Got down to training for a while this morning - arrived at 9, unfortunately the boys didnt get out onto the ground until about 9:30, so didnt see a lot of the session as had to be in the lab by 10:30.

Points of note:
- Rehab group consisted of Judd, Hadley, Walker, Bentick, Carrazzo and both O'hAilpins.

- Judd looks in fantastic shape, moved freely and one thing I noticed from the brief time I was there is how much of a perfectionist he is when it comes to training. Was doing a basic handball drill, but unlike most of the other guys, for every handball he gave he made sure he had the opposite leg going forward. He was also the first one out on the track and had a decent chat and laugh around with Ratts - really good to see they have already developed a good relationship.

- Other points of note from the rehab group are that Hadley has great hands - extremely clean and extremely quick. Tex was a little sloppy in one of the handball drills, just couldn't get the hang of it (seemed like a new one, they looked like they were enjoying it), but he also seems to get on really well with Judd. Aisake has good quick hands that were reasonably clean and good lower down for a guy his size.

- From the main group from the little bits I saw, one of the things that stood out were how fit most of the group was looking. There were some concerns when they returned about the fitness levels of Stevo, Fev and Cloke. All 3 have really trimmed down if thats the case. Clokey in particular looks in great shape and he's certainly giving himself every opportunity for this year.

- The only real drill I managed to catch was just working on footskills zig-zagging across the forward line. Usual suspects looked really sharp - Houlihan (looks in great shape and his delivery was immaculate), Murphy (guy oozes class), Stevens, Scotland and Gibbs (almost didnt recognise him with his short hair and seems to have bulker up quite a bit in his upper body). Others to impress were Thornton, Fisher and Waite.

- Kreuzer looks really good and moves exceptionally well for someone almost 2m tall. His kicking is pretty good too - comes nicely off the boot, though one thing I'd like to see him work on a bit more is kicking through the ball as some of his kicks seemed to hang in the air a bit.

- Armfield and Browne both look like really likely types, both move very well, look ready and deliver well by foot.

- A couple of people still missing passes which is unacceptable really - one of the main culprits seems to be Eddie Betts. His passes are beautiful....except they always seem to fall a metre or two short. Just needs to aim a bit further and he'll be fine.
Really good to see the boys and couldn't help but get excited - which probably comes through in this report (glass isn't half full, its overflowing!!).

Sorry I couldn't hang around for more of the session - enjoy and look forward to hearing more from anyone else who attended.

FWIW Brizzy, this is exactly the sort of post that earns a link to the preferred site. I hope it isn't BFs rules that have caused the confusion. Post is in full and doesn't require the reader to leave the site if they do not want to but they then become aware of other sites out there.

The same applies to bluebaggers.com. I am not sure what the other sites moderators stance is however.

Was down there as well this morning. Here are a few things that I took away from the session this morning.

- Will be great to get Stevens back. His field kicking today was just about perfect, with every kick and handball hitting the target.

- Fevola looks in great condition for this time of year. Some years he has looked a little overweight, and he was also competing pretty fiercly in most of the drills.

- WH & Co. may have found a real player in Armfield. If he plays likes he trains, all I can say is WOW. Goes at it at 110%, uses the ball very very well, and really looks like he belongs out there. In one instance, the boys were doing some end to end work, and Scotland had the ball and was about 15m in the clear, running towards the Legends Stand end. Armfield sprinted after Scotland to the point that when Scotland finally disposed of it, Armfield was on his hip. Fantastic chase at a training session in December.

- Kreuzer looks great as well. Very composed big man, and in the same end to end match simulation, he sidestepped none other than Bryce Gibbs like he was a witches hat. Saying that though, Gibbs was going the "wrong" way with his body weight, and Kreuzer would have gotten around anyone I reckon.

- Towards the end of the session, they spent about 10-15 minutes on their kick in drills. Some were very good, some were ok, and there was one or 2 that were terrible.

Turnovers are still hurting us, even at training, and I really think that this should be a focus for the entire group after Christmas.

Finally, it was terrific to see Mark Riley and Gavin Crosisca take the majority of the session, with Ratts really only talking to the boys at irregular intervals. Also great to see Craig Bradley there as well. He seriously looks like he could still get a game at AFL level.

LondonCalling

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 3, 2003
By the river
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Church of Simon Wiggins
Went along this morning. Was hardly impressed, if not by the 40 minute delayed start, but by the substandard effort put in.

You'd think that even in under 10's, a handball drill would consist of handballs from both hands, especially doing that many. Instead preferred hand only, and even that looked sloppy from messrs o'hAilpin jnr and Walker.

Once that became a bit more complicated, using two blokes on the side to pass in the footy, and a slips catching net, it went from sloppy to mediocre. Watching Aisake do this drill, was like watching Helen Keller try to churn butter. I'm sorry, but he's not going to be better than his bigger brother. It also showed just how far ahead Judd is, skills-wise of about 98% of our list. He could have rewritten some Noam Chomsky, and prepared a sushi platter whilst doing this drill and would still have looked a lot better than everyone else doing this drill.

Which brings about my pet peeve about online fans, the dead giveaway it seems to whether or not they actually know anything is when they slot kids who have yet to play a game into our best 22, or talk about their crucial role towards this upcoming season. We must be the only club who refer to our youngsters picked up in the draft in this way. 15 other clubs would refer to them as strengthening the list, rather than picking blokes for the best 22.

What I saw from the new kids today hardly impressed at all. Arnfield looks a go'er, and I like the obvious competitive streak about him. The rest better learn the Bullants theme song loud and proud. I wouldn't be surprised to include Kreuzer in that analysis either, given Ratt's promise to slowly work him into it.

Kicking drills were pretty shite. When your best performer in the drill is David Teague, you know there's problems. Wiggins looked really good; as mentioned before, Betts had a shocker, although in fairness, looked to be limping a bit at the start. Fev looked alright considering how long it's been since the surgery.

Skinny Lappin, I suppose you could say "hit slip catches" to the rehab group, by kicking a footy at them from point blank range. As Paul Kelly (the singer, not the Swan) would say, some reputations came to grief during this drill, even including the great man himself. Messrs Bentick and Walker the main offenders.

The only real difference from this time last year, was that the enthusiasm was definitely evident, the talk a lot louder, and the drills a bit more logical. Oh and that Judd bloke. Our skills are still incredibly s**t by hand and foot for AFL level, and we'd better hope that the #5 has a season that's lofty even by his standards.

truebluenavyblues

Team Captain
May 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Calling it like it is
Were you there? No thought so!

Well I was!
And if the word "shite" is to be used it should be for the quality of the report. Couldn't be any further from the truth.....Great effort today full of energy and positiveness.....can't wait for the season to start.

LC, if we were flying in December, then I would be concerned. It is nigh on impossible to maintain such a high standard right through to August. I'm not saying that it was the best training session I have ever seen, and yes, we still have some work to do, but we are alot better than what we were 12 months ago.

diesel1

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
LC, if we were flying in December, then I would be concerned. It is nigh on impossible to maintain such a high standard right through to August. I'm not saying that it was the best training session I have ever seen, and yes, we still have some work to do, but we are alot better than what we were 12 months ago.

So, what did you think of Aiske? Because I was in the impression he was far more advanced than his older brother. I hope LC was wrong because that would just shatter me. I also thought that he would be our 2nd ruckman come round 1.

I also went to go watch my mate train at Essendon, and gee they look on fire, they were hitting targets and looked really fit.

bluecamel

Senior List
Oct 25, 2002
Royal Parade
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
FWIW Brizzy, this is exactly the sort of post that earns a link to the preferred site. I hope it isn't BFs rules that have caused the confusion. Post is in full and doesn't require the reader to leave the site if they do not want to but they then become aware of other sites out there.

The same applies to bluebaggers.com. I am not sure what the other sites moderators stance is however.

So long as the information gets out there, it's all good. I don't see any need to be precious about protecting posts like this on TalkingCarlton. Footy forums exist because of the fans, without them they'd be nothing.

:thumbsu:

So, what did you think of Aiske? Because I was in the impression he was far more advanced than his older brother. I hope LC was wrong because that would just shatter me. I also thought that he would be our 2nd ruckman come round 1.

I also went to go watch my mate train at Essendon, and gee they look on fire, they were hitting targets and looked really fit.

As he was part of the rehab group, he only did some stationary drills, and ran laps at Princes Park. Is an absolute giant of a man, and if he can keep learning like Carlos has, then he could be anything.

So long as the information gets out there, it's all good. I don't see any need to be precious about protecting posts like this on TalkingCarlton. Footy forums exist because of the fans, without them they'd be nothing.

:thumbsu:
So if CSC do not object, then links can be provided at the end of these reports. Makes sense.

bluecamel

Senior List
Oct 25, 2002
Royal Parade
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
So if CSC do not object, then links can be provided at the end of these reports. Makes sense.

I think a credit to the site the original post was made on should be given regardless. I'm not fussed either way if a link is provided as well, although I agree, it does make sense. The only minor snag to that might be is that without being a registered member of the relevant site the links may not work as the training forum may be visible to registered members only, for a variety of reasons.

I think a credit to the site the original post was made on should be given regardless. I'm not fussed either way if a link is provided as well, although I agree, it does make sense. The only minor snag to that might be is that without being a registered member of the relevant site the links may not work as the training forum may be visible to registered members only, for a variety of reasons.
True but the idea is not to go there to read the training report you just read elsewhere but to be informed there are other forums that you might like to check out now and then. For dedicated training reports, it is a given I think unless the track watcher chooses themself to post it on more than one site. Not so much for rumour and speculation threads as these things can often sprout from several sources at once.

Let's face it, everyone will learn of the 4 sites in due course so there is no point in playing games but full posts followed by a link helps all sites involved. It is giving something to maybe get something back in return. Good business sense.

truebluenavyblues

Team Captain
May 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I thought that training was very good yesterday despite the delayed start. Rehab group consisted of Judd, Aisake, Setanta, Walker, Hadley, Carazzo & Bentick. Started off doing some handball drills which were done fairly, was only with preferred hand though. After that did some reaction work by handballing the footy at the net and catching one at the same time, Judd excelled at this. Walker and Aisake were alright without excelling. Hadley did very well with his hands, was quite impressed at how good he was.

Went to watch the main group and saw that Cloke looked in very good shape, as we know he's a bit short for a ruckman but could be quite good as a FP. He had both his hammy's taped up and also his shoulder was quite heavily bandaged but that's to be expected. Work ethic of the group was fantastic but Fev could have done a little bit better IMO. Kreuzer has put on quite a bit of muscle since the TAC cup Preliminary Final, hopefully he can put on a little bit of height. Still won't be ready by Round 1 but i'd expect him to play about 7-8 games towards the end of the year.

Was most impressed by Armfield, looks like a definite gun and IMO will definitely be in the midfield rotation next year. Saddington was awful, missing handballs and lacking effort, surely his last year if he's going to be like that. Wiggins put in a lot of effort and also was pretty good with his kicking. Murphy & Gibbs were both brilliant and Gibbs has really put on some muscle, hopefully he can put on some more before Round 1. Sam Jacobs looks really thin and got hammered in the bag drills.

Rehab group started doing laps around the oval, Judd was just absolutely brilliant, completing more laps faster than the rest of the group and i was very impressed my most of the rehab group. Bentick still a little bit slow, can't see a spot for him next year in the midfield.

Next drill was a little bit of match simulation, kicking it out from the square and getting it up to the other end. Was interesting to note that the players were calling Stevens 'boss' which indicates respect from the rest of the playing group, perhaps the players know who will be captain?

That was the end of the session, one group just came over and signed some autographs (happy to say i got 6) while another group started warming down.

Hope that report was helpful! I'll have one for Saturday aswell as i'll be going down.

bluecamel

Senior List
Oct 25, 2002
Royal Parade
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
True but the idea is not to go there to read the training report...

I don't disagree with that, and nor did I suggest that I did. I have no problems with copying and pasting training reports between sites, but it's just common courtesy that some form of credit to the orginal poster/site should apply. I don't think it matters if the credit says "Bill Smith from TalkingCarlton posted this" or if the credit is a link to the original thread.

Let's face it, everyone will learn of the 4 sites in due course so there is no point in playing games but full posts followed by a link helps all sites involved. It is giving something to maybe get something back in return. Good business sense.

My sentiments exactly. And you should know that I've never played games. :thumbsu:

I don't disagree with that, and nor did I suggest that I did. I have no problems with copying and pasting training reports between sites, but it's just common courtesy that some form of credit to the orginal poster/site should apply. I don't think it matters if the credit says "Bill Smith from TalkingCarlton posted this" or if the credit is a link to the original thread.

My sentiments exactly. And you should know that I've never played games. :thumbsu:

All good mate. You weren't implicated in any suggestions there. ;)

Back