Your 3km time trial??

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
We did a 2km time trial at first session back after Christmas. I got 7:40, which is OK for this time of year but I would hopeful of getting closer to 7 flat by mid-March.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok lads completed a 3k just on Tuesday and I can happily report a nice 11.47, ah good to see the hard work finnaly showing some effect.

Keep the times coming boys, we will keep this thread going until the footy season starts to see how everyone improves.

Sep 30, 2003
Boston Marathon finish
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ulan Bator Red Yaks
The group situation is better as a) it's competition and b) in windy conditions, you can position yourself so that another runner can act as a windbreak and he's working much harder than you.

It's probably too late now, but for next year, some of you should consider joining athletics clubs (EG as an alternative to cricket) next spring/summer. Access to club coaches who can guide you towards your goals and appreciate your footy commitments and set out sessions accordingly so that you can crack those time trials wide open or if you're looking at shorter, explosive stuff they can help you with that too. We've got a couple of footy kids at our club doing various distances and doing pretty well on the whole. Oh, and there's the female element you don't get at suburban cricket ovals too...:thumbsu:

pomcrow

Senior List
Jul 6, 2004
Bristol, England
Other Teams
Crows + Central Districts
After reading this thread I'd thought I'd give it a try. Lost about 12kgs over the past six months and feel much fitter for it.

Time = 14.38.

Bugger.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
After reading this thread I'd thought I'd give it a try. Lost about 12kgs over the past six months and feel much fitter for it.

Time = 14.38.

Bugger.

Don't worry champ, at least you were honest.

I'd really like to time myself in a 3.2. Generally when I run, its 4 k's of running on the road up and down hills.

The best time I've ever done was 5 k's, in 20 minutes. So if it takes me 4 minutes to run a kilometre 4 x 3.2 = 12.48 minutes.

GoOsH

All Australian
Sep 3, 2005
London
AFL Club
West Coast

Time = 14.38.

Bugger.
i'm with you mate, don't worry. I've only been at it for a week though, and I'm on a treadmill as it's freezing here in london! Hope to get into the thirteens in a few weeks, would be good.

4grand

Debutant
Jan 16, 2008
Huntington Beach
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Quest
hey all, last 3km time trial i did got mid 11mins, but i got a gym sess on the treddy for you guys to try, and would be interested to see how everyone goes/and, or any feedback anyone may have.

set the treadmill for a time limit of 30min and 10seconds(allowing for the belt to get up to speed). set the speed for 8km/hr, then every 5min its counts down up the speed (see below), until the 30mins is up. its pretty hard i reckon and its spot on 6km in 30min, i dont know wheather thats good or not, but hav a go if you so wish its a good workout for both the mind and the legs.

8km/hr-5min & 10sec(allows for the belt to get up2 speed)
9.6km/hr-5min
11.2km/hr-5min
12.8km/hr-5min
14.4km/hr-5min
16km/hr-5min

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bryceson

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers
hey all, last 3km time trial i did got mid 11mins, but i got a gym sess on the treddy for you guys to try, and would be interested to see how everyone goes/and, or any feedback anyone may have.

set the treadmill for a time limit of 30min and 10seconds(allowing for the belt to get up to speed). set the speed for 8km/hr, then every 5min its counts down up the speed (see below), until the 30mins is up. its pretty hard i reckon and its spot on 6km in 30min, i dont know wheather thats good or not, but hav a go if you so wish its a good workout for both the mind and the legs.

8km/hr-5min & 10sec(allows for the belt to get up2 speed)
9.6km/hr-5min
11.2km/hr-5min
12.8km/hr-5min
14.4km/hr-5min
16km/hr-5min

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i do something similair to that on a treadmill at the gym.....

another one is to start at 7km for 2 mins then put it up to 17 km for 2 mins and repeat for 30 mins. thats a pretty good workout.

4grand

Debutant
Jan 16, 2008
Huntington Beach
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Quest
i do something similair to that on a treadmill at the gym.....

another one is to start at 7km for 2 mins then put it up to 17 km for 2 mins and repeat for 30 mins. thats a pretty good workout.

****......... 17km/hr is pretty quick im flat out doing 16km/hr 4 the last 5min of my routine.

We did a 2km time trial at first session back after Christmas. I got 7:40, which is OK for this time of year but I would hopeful of getting closer to 7 flat by mid-March.

Mine was 12:12 in wet and windy conditions backing up from a 12:40 2 days previous. Tonight I'm aiming to get 11:59.

Some time ago when I was a lot lighter I would be around the 10 minute mark. Best time for a 5.2km Cross Country BTW is 22 minutes.

Bryceson

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers
Mine was 12:12 in wet and windy conditions backing up from a 12:40 2 days previous. Tonight I'm aiming to get 11:59.

Some time ago when I was a lot lighter I would be around the 10 minute mark. Best time for a 5.2km Cross Country BTW is 22 minutes.
is that 3km or 2km?

4grand

Debutant
Jan 16, 2008
Huntington Beach
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Quest
sprint
yeh i know thats why its only in 2 minute blocks. and 7km recovery for 2 mins is pretty slow so it evens out.....

oh yeah i got ya now, jeeze thats a big drop in pace but you wld need it forrecovery i bet, how many km,s does that end up being bryceson?
wld only be bout 3and a half to 4 km,s wld it, tell ya wat u have a go at mine and ill have a ago at urs over the weekend and ill get back to ya:D...........2easy.............

hey STMOOKEYJ (thnk thats right) that good wrk on knocking off bout 30seconds off ur last time and going 4 bout 11.59 next good work mate hiope you get there:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:. with tha 2kms, i did 1km sprints last year at my previous club 4 preseason. we did 3 laps warmup, then a 1km sprint (2and a half laps of footy oval) had to be under 5mins i think then a 2min break which was non stop lane work (i mean there was not enough time to rest on the cones it was just run, run) then the same 1km sprint and the person who came last in the first sprint had to had to beat his last time or we all had to do it again............was hard work i tell you i came 2nd and 3rd respectively out of bout 15 or so, was quite hard, if ur looking for a challenge in the comfort of the air conditioned gym have a look at my above 6km run in 30min on the treadmill, very hard to finish, i didnt even finish first time, but the best feeling wen i did:D enjoy

Critta

Debutant
Oct 7, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
jeez fellas some of u guys are making me feel pretty unfit, at our u18's 3k time trial the best i got was 13:20

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
did a 3rd 3km TT for footy and 1 got 11.20 that was pretty disapointing, going back 3 seconds. not sure what happened.

Your time is very good mate. I wouldn;t be too disappointed. As I mentioned earlier I had a PB of 10:20 but the other day I ran 11:55 as I'm not in very good nick.

What I'm doing is running two long runs a week (about 10 - 15km building to one long run of 20km), which builds up stamina. Then two sessions of intervals (200, 400, 600, 800 and back down with 2 mins recovery for each.)
Two easy 5-8km runs to have some relax. The long runs are not hard either, they are purely stamina runs.

Since December when I ran a pultry 13:30 for 3km at 78kg, I am now 76kg and running high 11 min runs. With any luck before footy season I'll run around 11:00 - 11:30. It takes work but the benefits will come. Keep up the good work.

Bryceson

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers
Your time is very good mate. I wouldn;t be too disappointed. As I mentioned earlier I had a PB of 10:20 but the other day I ran 11:55 as I'm not in very good nick.

What I'm doing is running two long runs a week (about 10 - 15km building to one long run of 20km), which builds up stamina. Then two sessions of intervals (200, 400, 600, 800 and back down with 2 mins recovery for each.)
Two easy 5-8km runs to have some relax. The long runs are not hard either, they are purely stamina runs.

Since December when I ran a pultry 13:30 for 3km at 78kg, I am now 76kg and running high 11 min runs. With any luck before footy season I'll run around 11:00 - 11:30. It takes work but the benefits will come. Keep up the good work.
its not the time im disapointed with, its n2b. its just ive done a heap of hard work in between our 2nd and 3rd TT and somehow i maneged to go backwards by 3 seconds. thats whats disapointing.

Back