inFAMOUS

Remove this Banner Ad

I normally enjoy reading what HBK has to say but on this occasion I think it may have been a slight over reaction on his part.
I agree actually, I retract my statements, it was an overeaction, I am sorry KP.

I will continue now with more quality than overeactions.

Finally some info.

Source: http://scrawlfx.com/2008/06/infamous-new-information-finally-revealed-from-gi-july-08
"inFAMOUS begins with a serene, panoramic skyview view of Empire City on the title screen, with the words "press start flashing". ..once you push start, a massive explosion rips through the heart of the city. Six city blocks are consumed by flame...in the center, a man named Dylan staggers to his feet."

• Dylan doesn't know how he got his powers and starts out apathetic. He then becomes invest in the city...or you can choose not to be at all.

• Dylan can run up rooftops, scrambles across building archtecture, and can seek cover in unlikely nooks and crannies.

• Sucker Punch striving for simple controls to do not so simple things.

• Empire City has 3 islands.

• After the explosion, the city falls into chaos. A plague makes the govt. quarentine the city. Gangs are formed.

• Dylan's abilities evolve throughout the game.

• One fight saw Dylan and his friend Zeke against a bunch of guard. A couple of choices include zapping the mobs and flinging them off the bridge, or using your electricity on the environment (i.e. power generators that may be nearby) to create explosions.

• Sucker Punch says "The hero's powers and the storyline are in support of the gameplay."

• Dylan cannot use firearms since his powers are "always on" (meaning he would set off the gunpowder in bullets). The powers can complicate your actions within the world.

• There will be other "villians" with their own powers that come into play. As well as other normal enemies with powers.

inFAMOUS isn't structured like other open world games with a marker on the mini map for your next mission. The team's goal is to create a world where events unfold naturally.

• For example, you're on your way to disarm a bomb, but you notice a woman in the street bleeding and screaming. Time is ticking. What do you do? Your actions affect the world at large. Hence "inFAMOUS".

• Karma system keeps track of your actions ( I assume without showing you? Not sure). Your actions affect the actions of the citizens of the city. They may fight with you or ignore you or even help fight against you. Karma also factors into how your abilities develop.

New screenshots of the ever increasingly good looking PS3 exclusive inFAMOUS, screenies are after the article on the source page.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/infamous-looking-impressive/
inFAMOUS Looking imPRESSIVE
Our frothing demand for this game increases.* After all, the Sly Cooper series offered some of the prettiest and most fun experiences on PS2. So when Sucker Punch – the folks behind the raccoon – makes an open-world game with super powers and drool-worthy looks, we're all over it.

The UK's semi-official PS3 blog, Three Speech, got its digi-mitts on three new screens from inFAMOUS, which, according to the site, will be keeping GameStop employees asking if we want to pre-order it until ... 2009. Still, we'll also surely be seeing more of the game next month at E3. We'd better. Or ... or ... our frothing demand for this game will probably stay just about the same.

Well after a demo showing at Leipzig(Available on the PS Store), inFAMOUS has won more fans, with the game looking extremly polished, fun, exciting and varied, all of this being around about 5-7 months from release, here is a summary(Best questions and answers of an IGN interview with inFAMOUS's Producer Nate Fox.

Source: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/908/908014p1.html
IGN: So how's work going on Infamous?

Nate Fox:
The game's coming along pretty well and we're right on target for a release in Spring 2009, and it's fun to play. I guess that's the big thing, isn't it? So what's your take on it?

IGN: We just saw the demo for the first time and we're seriously impressed. It's a really accomplished open world. Was that a big technical challenge?

Nate Fox:
It's been difficult making an open world, mainly because the technology costs of getting the streaming working are really high. As you might imagine, it's really fun making an open world game, because when you put something new in the game it's all over the place. The whole city benefits from the addition of a traffic simulation. So everyday when I'm playing the game I'm seeing new things getting added in -- like pedestrians digging in trashcans for food -- and you're just constantly surprised. It's hard because it's so vast, but it's cool in that everybody gets to share in this thing. It's not like lots of little pieces. It's like one big cake.

IGN: What came first -- the desire to make a superhero game, or the desire to make an open world game?

Nate Fox:
We're giant comic book fans and graphic novel fans. Who hasn't had the idea? I really like Grand Theft Auto and I want to be a superhero in this world. Definitely our desire to make a superhero game came before our desire to make an open world game. We wanted to make the superhero experience, an interactive experience where you go through the origin story, which is always the coolest part of any superhero story. Videogames are great for making you feel it, so what does it take to give you that experience? So we just put it together.

IGN: The whole world seemed scalable from what we saw in the demo -- has that been difficult to implement?

Nate Fox:
Our rule is that if you think you should be able to climb on it, we let you do it. It's a tough rule to stick to, but it's worth it because there's a sense of freedom. Because it's an open world game, it's freedom in all three dimensions, so it's very tactile. It has been really hard because we wanted to make our interface really easy and not a complex combination of button presses like playing the saxophone or anything. We have a full time employee, and all he does is make things be climbable, that's all he does.

IGN: How are the missions going to present themselves?

Nate Fox:
Our mission structure is kind of similar to GTA in that you have this open world and then you become aware that a mission exists. Our missions are different in that they have very strong beginnings, middles and ends with a lot of scripted events along the way to make you feel like you're the star of the action. You're the big event in the city.

IGN: Are you happy that a lot of people are comparing it to Crackdown?

Nate Fox:
I think it's up to journalists to decide. It's like saying 'Do you like Aliens? Do you like Star Wars?' They're both science fiction, so that's great. Fun games are fun games. I think Crackdown's a blast to play, but I don't think our game's like Crackdown. There's a city and a guy who can do a lot of spectacular things in a city.

IGN: Are the choices you make reflected in the narrative?

Nate Fox:
We can't talk totally about how the game works out, but the core freedom that you have in playing the game is -- you've got a mission, for example to stop a bomb from going off. How you go about stopping that bomb from going off is totally an expression of you in the world. Do you blow it up from a distance because it's a lot easier to shoot at the bomb? That would be the jerk way to do it. Or do you go up and try to defuse it? You get to make decisions like that. I like to think of things like Batman or The Punisher. The Punisher kills everybody, he doesn't care, while Batman is surgical, smart and very careful. You can totally play either direction in the game and by doing so your powers will improve along that axis of morality that you have in the game world. It's not just about hitting a branch in the tree and making a decision, it's about second to second gameplay.

IGN: Will there be any integration with PlayStation Network?

Nate Fox:
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to give you the patented two months from now answer.

IGN: So it's exclusively a single-player game?

Nate Fox:
We'll tell you in two months time. Right now we're showing the single-player stuff, which we're excited about and it's going to be fun. That's currently our schtick.

IGN: What exactly is going to happen in two months time?

Nate Fox:
The moon's going to crack in two and out of it will come all knowledge of Infamous.

IGN: How's it working with Sony Worldwide Studios?

Nate Fox:
I feel very, very lucky because our Sony producers are smart. They come in and they look at our product and they give us a lot of crisp critical feedback and it's great because they make our game a lot better. The game wouldn't be half as good without them being so honest and frank and then giving us the freedom to solve things how we see fit. They've also shown us the power of user testing, watching kids play the game, see where they get frustrated and internalise it, so when you make new content you're a better designer for it. I'm grateful.

Seems like an awesome game but so long away from release.
In terms of games inFAMOUS isn't that long away, anywhere between 4-7 months can seem long, but with games it always seems to go quickly.

In terms of where the game is at for a good 5 months to go I am amazed, it is looking amazingly polished for a game still a while away, and the devs haven't done any damage by saying the PS3 is an awesome system to work with and they are getting everything they want out of it.

Online would be awesome if they had it. Running around two player, killing innocent people :D.
Would be good, but GTA is basically that already, and in the end I would rather play GTA Races, a co-op would be nice though.

I'm amazed at how good the graphics are on this game, we are still a few months from it's release yet the graphics are amazingly smooth and look brilliant, it may beat Far Cry 2 for open world graphics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow i didn't actually watch the video interview on that page before cause i was at my stepsisters husbands 30th when i posted it.
but after watching it then that was some solid looking gameplay and gorgeous visuals!

i knew the game would be kinda cool and i wish it had kept a lower profile cause now my expectations have been lifted fairly substantially after seeing that....

i've kinda enjoyed lately being able to enjoy games with no real expectations like QoS having bad reviews and liking it...and Crash Commando...knowing absolutely zero about it and being blown away by the gameplay

Gamespot have a new preview up.

Based on what we played, Infamous looks to be coming along nicely. The game seems to be doing a fine job of balancing style and substance with impressive visuals, engaging gameplay, and a meaty story. While there's still the expected assortment of rough edges to the game, they're mostly overshadowed by the potential on display. The sense of freedom when you're going about your business, mixing up the use of your powers, interacting with the city, and the intriguing story are a compelling draw that should be worth keeping an eye out for.

Gamespot have a new preview up.
This game is just looking fantastic at the moment, not only does it have outstanding graphics for an open-world game, the gameplay looks like it will match the graphical power of the game.

I've heard so many people call this a "Prototype rip-off" or just saying "This game won't have anything on Prototype", but I have a feeling it will end up being the other way around and that Prototype(Although with MASSIVE potential) just won't have anything on inFAMOUS.

The main difference for me is that inFAMOUS is just going for the one main superpower, compared to Prototypes many and adaptive superpowers, I feel that inFAMOUS will be able to master the one ability and provide maximum fun and gameplay from it, where I think Prototype will be one of those "jack of all trades master of none" type games.

Just can't wait for inFAMOUS, my real smokey for GOTY 2009.

An inFAMOUS Q&A with Sucker Punch's co-founder Brian Fleming.

Interesting interview, also great news that you will be able to develop and refine your super-powers.

Source: http://atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=718
inFAMOUS Q&A
One of the PS3's more promising upcoming exclusives is being prepped by Sucker Punch, the last of the PS2 era's chart-topping, furry critter-creating triumvirate to take a crack at Sony's fledgling console;Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter developers Insomniac and Naughty Dog, respectively, have already worked their hit-making magic on the console, but Sly Cooper's handlers have been late to the PS3 party. Thankfully, their superhero-inspired Infamous looks to be worth the wait. Featuring an electricity-spewing hero (or antihero?), a comic book-like tale, and a catastrophe-riddled city, the game is a huge departure for the folks who previously brought us a cel-shaded, thieving raccoon--we're guessing Bentley would soil his shell in Infamous' gritty Empire City. We recently sat down with the game's producer--and co-founder of Sucker Punch--Brian Fleming, to discuss this promising new IP and, of course, the future of Sly Cooper.

AtomicGamer: For the uninitiated, please tell us what
Infamous is all about.

Brian Fleming: Infamous is a game where you get to play Cole, a pretty ordinary guy who finds out he somehow, as part of a huge disaster, has become a guy who can direct electricity in the world. He doesn’t really understand it or know what’s going on. It turns out he’s been granted this superpower, and he needs to figure out what’s happening…what the disaster was all about, and make a decision. Is he a superhero or super villain…what kind of personality is he? The player will have to make decisions along the way…help people or wreak havoc. It’s an open-world superhero adventure. It’s also about taking the DNA of great superhero stories, the situations, characters, emotional moments that happen in a superhero story, and letting you play it. What would it feel like to have powers that you don’t understand, or to decide whether or not you’re going to help people or wreak havoc? Or to have people close to you freak out and be, like, “Wow, dude, I dunno if you know this, but you’re shooting lightening out of your hands.” It’s all about having that total experience.

AG: Are all the powers in the game electricity based?

BF: The central moment at the beginning of the game is when this disaster happens. There’s this big electrical event, and as the game goes on your character starts developing and refining his powers. It’s all related to electricity for him, but not every super-powered person in the game is electrical. It wouldn’t be much of a superhero story if we didn’t have any villains with powers.

AG: Do we get to witness this disaster in-game?

BF: Oh yeah, you play through it.

AG: What type of world does Cole’s story unfold in?

BF: Again, it’s all about that DNA…you don’t find many superhero stories that take place in the Midwest…it’s always the giant urban core, a Metropolis or Gotham. And our game’s Empire City is inspired by that, but it’s not New York, it’s not Gotham, but it is inspired by that superhero story DNA.

AG: When does Cole's story happen? Is it a futuristic tale?

BF: We think of it as tomorrow, or this very moment. It’s not futuristic or retro, it’s very modern. The people’s pre-blast existences were very normal. Cole and his buddy Zeke were bike messengers, his girlfriend is a med student. They’re very ordinary, relatable people in a very extraordinary situation.

AG: How do these other characters factor in?

BF: Zeke is a true believer. He’s like a conspiracy theorist, and in some ways he may be kind of a guide for you…he’s read about all this stuff on the Internet and he knows about it, so it’s kind of cool to have him at your side. Trish, on the other hand, is a med student, and it kind of all freaks her out. She’s not sure what to think, and there are some great twists that revolve around your relationship with her.

AG: Lots of games, like the most recent Spider-Man title, claim to have this good/evil option, but in the end you’re still basically on the side of good. How extreme can you get with the moral path mechanic in Infamous?

BF: We’re going to duck you on that, for now. There will be more specifics on that before the game ships, but we can’t share that today.

AG: Now, the obvious question: For Sucker Punch’s PS3 debut, why not a new Sly Cooper game?

BF: We’ve been working on Sly for six-plus years, so I think we earned a break. But also, we really felt like an E-rated title was really more appropriate within the PS3’s life cycle when the demographics of the ownership are more age appropriate. Like it or not, the median age of Sly Cooper fans is lower than the median of PS3 owners. So, just from a pure business balance stand point, we felt like we needed a title that we could do earlier in the console’s life cycle. We’re still who we are…we’re not trying to make the most extreme hardcore title. That’s not us.

AG: Will
Infamous be M-rated?

BF: It will be T-rated.

AG: Despite the new direction, will Sly fans be able to identify any influences in Infamous from that series?

BF: Certainly. Just the fact that it’s a third person action game is a reflection of our history…it’s all we’ve ever done, and we love the genre. Secondly, the experience we had climbing all over the hub worlds in Sly…we really thought that was something special and we really wanted to explore that. I think the climbing and exploration in this game is a huge extension of the work we did in Sly. We’re trying to make that with a believable person, and across a wide variety of terrain…to do it in a streaming world that’s as dense as what we’re doing is a massive undertaking, but we’re very proud of how it’s turned out, and it’s going to be one of the key things that make the game work.

AG: And for those clamoring for a PS3 Sly entry?

BF: Oh, we’re close to promising that we’re going to do one. We just don’t know when. We love that franchise and are very proud of it. It’d be a privilege to go back and work on it again.

AG: Any cool call-outs in Infamous that Sly fans should look for?

BF: Oh, I’d be surprised if there weren’t a few Easter Eggs in there…we’ll find a way to sneak some in.

AG: How about Bentley as an unlockable playable character?

BF: Ha, I don’t think it’ll be that, but stay tuned…there will be some little surprises.

AG: So, how long has Infamous been in development?

BF: It’s been about three years, and it comes out in the spring.

AG: What would you say the biggest challenge has been developing on the PS3?

BF: It’s strange, but for us, it’s that we were entering a world where all the best games on this generation of consoles have been made by guys who’ve been using pixel shaders, and we had zero experience in our whole company doing pixel shaded next-gen graphics. We come from a very stylized PS2 game, so we had our own distinctive rendering style, but it wasn’t next-gen realism. So, that’s been a massive change for us, and we’re competing against people who’ve been doing it…Epic, Bungie, who have done generations of these games, so we had a lot of catching up to do just to get to state of the art, much less push envelopes. We hadn’t worked in this style, so we had a lot to learn.

AG: Given Infamous’ comic book influences, do you see any potential film, TV, book, or toy tie-ins?

BF: It’s really up to the marketing team. We’re spending ridiculous amounts of our energy making this game as good as we can make it. And part of what we love about the business is that we don’t have to be good at marketing, distribution and merchandising…we can focus on our stuff. Are we hopeful that that sort of stuff will happen? Absolutely. And I would agree that that stuff certainly does seem that it would fit our product. But it’s not our job to make it happen. Our job is to make a great game.

Thanks to Brian over at Sucker Punch Productions for his time. Infamous will be on the way to store shelves this coming Spring.

This game is just looking fantastic at the moment, not only does it have outstanding graphics for an open-world game, the gameplay looks like it will match the graphical power of the game.

I've heard so many people call this a "Prototype rip-off" or just saying "This game won't have anything on Prototype", but I have a feeling it will end up being the other way around and that Prototype(Although with MASSIVE potential) just won't have anything on inFAMOUS.

The main difference for me is that inFAMOUS is just going for the one main superpower, compared to Prototypes many and adaptive superpowers, I feel that inFAMOUS will be able to master the one ability and provide maximum fun and gameplay from it, where I think Prototype will be one of those "jack of all trades master of none" type games.

Just can't wait for inFAMOUS, my real smokey for GOTY 2009.

Do you know how ridiculous that honestly sounds???

Yeah, and BioShock would've been better with only 1 plasmid

And COD4 would've been better with only 1 gun

And DarkSector would've been better with only 1 power

Whilst I think inFamous looks excellent, it's possible that 1 power will get boring, whereas Prototype has numerous Devastators and powers etc.

Variety is the spice of life

Do you know how ridiculous that honestly sounds???

Yeah, and BioShock would've been better with only 1 plasmid

And COD4 would've been better with only 1 gun

And DarkSector would've been better with only 1 power

Whilst I think inFamous looks excellent, it's possible that 1 power will get boring, whereas Prototype has numerous Devastators and powers etc.

Variety is the spice of life
I think your taking what I said a little out of context Viney, and maybe I didn't quite explain it fully, so I'll try now.

With my comment of "Jack of all trades, master of none" what I am saying is that what inFAMOUS can do is take the 1 power and fully maximise it for absolute fun, variety(All different ways to use the power), full capability(ie: Being able to adapt, refine and develop the power), missions(From what I have read there are missions that revolve around the taking out of power supplies of the main character, so specific power-based missions could work for it), etc. etc. where as what I see Prototype being is one that tries to take on heaps of types of powers and just ends up making them more or less the same/boring/repetitive or just very limited, I guess what I am trying to say is I feel this will end up a bit like the Superman game that came out a while ago(And I know that movie tie-ins are never great, but this one did have the potential to be, just like Prototype), where you have a bunch of awesome seeming powers, but in the end they all feel the same, and just don't have that variety because there were too many to really refine down and maximise the fun level on all powers.

It's a little hard to explain, but basically variety is useless if your looking at 10 different types of s**t, because at the end of the day it is still s**t, making variety useless, but if you can refine and develop a power to maximise the fun level then it could turn into something special.

And as I said in my previous post Prototype certainly has the potential if used well to well and truly beat inFAMOUS, but that is only if they can maximise the powers for absolute fun, I just have that feeling it won't mesh and will end up just being a mess of lazy, samey, unfulfilled powers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back