Will Peter Roebuck ever get off his high horse?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's merit in what he says at times but I also tire of some of his sanctimonious and hypocritical diatribes. He is also reactionary and swings with the wind.

The point about the ICL is not that valid given that countries such as SA also suffer from losing a lot of players like Kemp, Klusener, van der Wath, Langeveldt etc. and they also lose them to rapacious counties. What it does though is allow them to develop younger players at a greater rate. They may not have the guiding hand of some of the older players but at least older players aren't taking their places.

Roebuck can't have it both ways. Now many Aussies are saying that we have too many older players, and a few overseas players in our Shield ranks which means that fewer young guns can command places. It's all about attaining a balance. Not enough young players coming through, coupled with guys like Hayden hanging around forever means that too many of our players get picked like Hussey, after losing slices of their prime years.

I also tire of Roebuck carrying on about leather-flingers and cack-handers and right-handers who really should be left-handers etc.

Occasionally he comes up with a good article. His opinions are sometimes valid but if only he would hold to them and not be so influenced by what happened in the last minute.

Peter Roebuck commonly does what heaps of people on BF do. That is "over-state" things or list them off to make it sound worse.

Lets examine this portion of writing taken from his article.

"Ricky Ponting was at his worst in that match, a fiery figure pushed along by senior players, complaining about opponents, upsetting visiting journalists, disdaining a dignified counterpart and grizzling about former captains critical of his declaration".

All Ponting did was report a alleged remark under instructions from the ICC after a similar incident a few weeks before. This reported as "complaining about opponents" gives an impression that Ponting was whinging. Not so.

The upsetting visiting journo remark is aimed at an incident when a Indian jounro all but hijacked a press conference Ponting was at and basically called Ponting a cheat. As such Ricky responded in kind and basically told this guy what a joke he was but in a polite manner that would happen every day in the real world and in life. It appears built into their nature that Indians get very excitable and this journo was basically going over the top on this incident. Roebuck makes it sound like Ponting humilated a journo in a unprovoked attack. Once again, this is not what happened.

The grizzling about former captains bit is an obvious remark at Tony Greig, a notorious anti-aussie personality who half an hour before stumps when it looked like the game would be a draw started rubbishing the declaration. Maybe rubbishing is a bit strong, but questioned it would be more appropiate. As it turned out Australia won and Ponting and Gilchrist basically told Greig that he was wrong and they were right. Sure it might have been rubbing ones nose it in but Greig would have done the exact same thing and has done in the past. I doubt he would have cared less at someone yelling over an interview that "greig was wrong" if anything he probably would have enjoyed it.

Roebuck makes it sound like Ponting was frothing at the mouth when all he was doing was giving it back.

None of what Roebuck wrote in that paragraph is "false' so to speak, but it is portrayed in a way that to make it look worse then what really occured.

Roebuck actually on Radio on the last day of the MCG test said he didnt feel Australia "was far away" from being a very decent side.

Whenever Australia loses it seems that the other team cannot get credit for their victory. Its always teh fault of someone other then the skill of the opposite team. India and South Africa are on form the clear 2 best teams in the world, it is no shame to lose to them at all. South Africa outplayed us, we gave it our best shot in those 2 games, but they were to good.

Why doesnt anyone admit that we were outplayed rather then just look for scapegoats.

Harbajahn's got about 50 kids. Therefore he doesn't act like a sea hunt. Capish??

No, not at all. :confused::confused::confused:

The article makes some good points, but the attempt to give it a "theme" by linking everything that's happened in the past year back to the Sydney Test is misguided.

He's an opinion columnist, so what's wrong with having an opinion?

He is very interesting to read, opinionated and often I don't agree with his articles, but the fact is he calls it like he sees it, he doesn't dance around the issues.

For that reason, he is a good opinion columnist.

I agree. He's not there to be liked, he just there to give his opinion. And if it riles people sometimes, well that's a job well done.

I don't mind listening to him on ABC, he has a great knowledge for the game. Just a shame he writes alot of crap now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He writes some good and some bad stuff, I find most of his articles interesting even if he has a tendency to overstate things a little.

Nice work LtD managing to include an Oasis reference in a thread about a cricket writer :eek:

He is a tool. Claimed in india that Bracken should have played in place of Johnson. Keeps wacking Hayden (and rightly so) but never mentions Lee. His NSW bias is ridiculous.

If deliberately upsetting people is a job well done, I'd rather be unemployed.
His job is to give his opinion, not sugarcoat it so everyone is happy. If he upsets some people (not all, but some), then he's doing his job because he's stating his opinion strongly.

His job is to give his opinion, not sugarcoat it so everyone is happy. If he upsets some people (not all, but some), then he's doing his job because he's stating his opinion strongly.

Yes, but his piece following the Sydney test versus India wouldn't have passed muster as a Year 7 argumentative essay. It was a hopelessly inept rant which seriously undermined his credibility with a lot of readers. Of course there is room for strongly voiced opinion - most of us find it entertaining and often challenging. However, Roebuck's tirade against Ponting was so 'against type' and hysterical that it managed to not only displease some of his readership, but alienate them for good. Not wise commercial practice I would have thought, and I wonder what his sub-editor was thinking.

I generally like Roebuck and his work, and enjoy that he is a bit controversial, but one thing that drives me mad with his articles is his desperation to rehash his hate for the Sydney Test '08. What's more his stance on it is a million miles from mine. Sort of.

But spare me another mention of it Peter. Please, let it go!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back