The best progessive Metal/Rock band ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

This KFC person only has the ability to throw out abuse when they post, so why I am going to bother responding in a legitimate way to such a person? This wasn't intended as a troll to begin with, but until people can articulate their own views properly - without resorting to the playground insults KFC has demonstrated in, then it always has the unwelcome possibility of turning into a troll-fest.

Now Schism, thank you for those links. You have tried to show me that their is a progressive element to metal music. Sadly, I will probably always remain a sceptic, as to me the sound is too entrenched in the metal formula for me to hear its "progression". But thank you all the same.

Thats wikipedias take on it. To be honest, I can't hear much fusion going on myself. I certainly don't hear any odd time signatures or much complex compositional structures - certainly not when compared with prog rock bands. All I hear is the generic guitar sound of metal. Throwing in an occasional accousitic guitar does not make it prog either.

I doubt many people here have ever listened to an album by Caravan or Gentle Giant, let alone one by ELP or Yes.

This thread should be renamed "what is your favourite metal band" cos you don't have a clue about proper prog rock music.

Idiot.

I hate when metal bands use the term progressive cause it's not really progressive.
Listen to Yes Tales On Topographic Oceans,Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick,King Crimson's First album,Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway,National Health,Brand X,Mahavishnu Orchestra's Apocalypse,The Tubes Debut.

They create awe inspiring music that uses many different instruments and different styles not just a guitarist having a wank to some math metal drumming.

Don't get me started on those cheese dip bands like Dream Theater.

They don't posses the same sounds or dynamics that those old bands did.

I can buy some cheddar at the supermarket if I want Dream Theater.

This KFC person only has the ability to throw out abuse when they post, so why I am going to bother responding in a legitimate way to such a person? This wasn't intended as a troll to begin with, but until people can articulate their own views properly - without resorting to the playground insults KFC has demonstrated in, then it always has the unwelcome possibility of turning into a troll-fest.

Now Schism, thank you for those links. You have tried to show me that their is a progressive element to metal music. Sadly, I will probably always remain a sceptic, as to me the sound is too entrenched in the metal formula for me to hear its "progression". But thank you all the same.
You'respot on mate.

Great to see a progger on here.

We're are a dying breed.

Keep those golden ears.:)

I hate when metal bands use the term progressive cause it's not really progressive.
Listen to Yes Tales On Topographic Oceans,Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick,King Crimson's First album,Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway,National Health,Brand X,Mahavishnu Orchestra's Apocalypse,The Tubes Debut.

They create awe inspiring music that uses many different instruments and different styles not just a guitarist having a wank to some math metal drumming.

Respect. I was beginning to get a bit lonely in here lol. But I am a grumpy (getting) old man. It just pisses me off to see the mantel of the great bands of yesteryore taken up by such a pile of s**t. These bands only sound prog to these kids because they have never got off their fat, burger filled arses to seek out music for themselves. They just listen to this spoon fed pile of crap which they then try to pass off as "progressive". I heard more progression in my school ****in choir.

You summed up everything nicely in your post. I hope the KFC man & Schitzoid take note (put in bold for ease of reference). You have revived my faith in the music listener. Cheers :thumbsu:

Now I know you're a troll.

I'm the one throwing around playground insults? What about this brilliant piece from yourself -

I have seen Iron Maiden live more times than I care to remember - back when your mum was still wiping your arse for you.

Anyway, I have better things to do than waste my time arguing with 15 year old virgins who get so hung up on such trvial silly matters.

You don't know me, so don't try to belittle and condescend me with your ad hominems.

.and I'm not gonna be a grumpy old man either.

Nope - you're a stupid old man.

You know, it just hit me - the only reason you don't think that metal music is progressive is because you, and the rest of past generations, are used to their soft/slow music. That's a generation gap right there. Just because you can't appreciate good progressive metal (eg. Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Pain of Salvation) you resort to trying to condescend my generation because the past bands of yesteryear are raised in your mind due to that being the progressive music of choice of your era.

So, old gents, get a ****ing clue and stay the **** out of metal discussion - you don't know a thing about the genres nor can you appreciate the music. Therefore, your opinion is overtly biased, especially with the past bands of yesteryear raised in your mind. Keep your ancient, close-mindedness out of this thread and threads mentioning metal in the future.

Thankyou.

EW wanted to see proof of jazz fusion,so i provided some. Then you guys disregard it as math metal w***ery?You're shifting the goal posts because you're bitter old men.

Now it's 'many different instruments and styles',that makes something prog,is it?Not changing time signatures and complex rhythms?So try something like Kayo Dot or Maudlin Of The Well,classically trained musicians playing avante-garde metal mixed with jazz and classical,or isn't that progressive enough for you?

[YOUTUBE]TVSpsVS7JzM[/YOUTUBE]

EW wanted to see proof of jazz fusion,so i provided some. Then you guys disregard it as math metal w***ery?You're shifting the goal posts because you're bitter old men.

Now it's 'many different instruments and styles',that makes something prog,is it?Not changing time signatures and complex rhythms?So try something like Kayo Dot or Maudlin Of The Well,classically trained musicians playing avante-garde metal mixed with jazz and classical,or isn't that progressive enough for you?

Don't even bother Schism, they don't know how to differentiate death metal from grunge, surely we can't expect them to actually know what progressive music is aswell. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aha.

I have a few Mudvayne albums for your info.

Who's the dumbarse now eh?

Young people haven't listened to 30 odd plus years of music so have no comeback.

FAIL mate.

You should know everything then:cool:

I'd also recommend not using the word "Fail" at your age.

Probably all been mentioned, but anyway....

Pain of Salvation
Dream Theater
Soundscape
Porcupine tree
Rush
Ayreon
Green Carnation
Threshold

POS are the stand-out for mine.

POS are the stand-out for mine.

A band I've been mentioning throughout this thread. :thumbsu:

Watchout though mate, according to smasha and EnglishWarrior, Progressive Metal is s**t.

I have a few Mudvayne albums for your info.

Who's the dumbarse now eh?

So ****ing what? Mudvayne are ****ing crap, just another forgettable nu-metal band.

Young people haven't listened to 30 odd plus years of music so have no comeback.

So how old does that make you gramps?

And I like how you completely ignored the majority of my post, the parts which were most damaging to your argument. Congratulations.

Smasha, in response to all your un-informed posts...

epicfail1.jpg

Owning a few Madvayne albums in now way proves you know anything about progressive metal, or metal in general.

I hear when he wants to listen to Hip-Hop, he throws on a bit of Vanilla Ice.

Yeah but he's more of a punk man, Good Charlotte has been getting quite a few rotations on his CD player. Unless a CD player is a bit too new for someone of his age.

KFC

I'm 35 so I am not part of the generation which listened to the prog rock in the 70's, but because I didn't just follow the latest trend, plus having a father with a quality music collection, I managed to discover music that existed before.

And FYI, prog was embraced by millions in the 70's, bands like Pink Floyd (not stricktly prog but near enough), Yes, Genesis and all the rest, had far greater relevance in their day than all the s**t bands you are banging on about, who rarely can even put an album on a chart.

I like the way you bag prog rock for being "soft". So in essence what you are saying are a bands only merit is how "hard" it can play? Grow the **** up mate, if that is how you judge music then you know jack s**t pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back