Fyfe Pavlich Mayne

Ballatyne Anthony Johnson

rucks: Sandilands, Barlow, Palmer

Bench: Ibbottson, Suban, Crowley
sub: Mcphee

eme: De Boer, Walters, Roberton

Contenders: Griffiths, Faulks, Pitt, Crichton, Mzunga, Van Berlo

Depth Players: Clarke, Schammer, Bradley, Bollenhagen, Pearce, Hinkley,

Pitt could be used as a sub in the early rounds to ease him into AFL level? I'm not sure at this stage.

Unlikely I'd say. It made sense playing the likes of Hill and Fyfe when they were under sized but we now have plentyy of 19-22 year olds with AFL form so Pitt would have to show a lot pre-season to justify selecting him ahead of Walters/Suban/Roberton/etc.

FB: Greg Broughton, Peter Faulks, Alex Silvagni

HB: Garrick Ibbotson, Luke McPharlin, Paul Duffield

C: Anthony Morabito, Rhys Palmer, Stephen Hill

HF: Nathan Fyfe, Matthew Pavlich, Matt Deboer

FF: Hayden Ballantyne, Michael Johnson, Michael Walters

Followers: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Nick Suban

INT: Crowley, Mayne, McPhee, Chrichton

Emg: Griffen, Roberton, Clarke, Mzungu, Grover,

My team based on who we had this year not taking into account the drafts:

Back: Broughton McPharlin Silvangni
Half Back: Johnson Grover Ibbotson
Centre: Hill Duffield McPhee
Half Forward: DeBoer Pavlich Fyfe
Forward: Ballantyne Mayne Hayden
Ruck: Sandilands Barlow Mundy

Interchange:Morabito VanBerlo Palmer Crowley

Emerg:
Suban, Walters, Roberton,

It's going to be tough squeezing people in next year particularly if we pick up a few more best 22 gamers in the drafts. Competition for spots will be great to drive them into a good pre-season

will be interesting to see the preseason competition, id imagine there will be some very nervous andd desperate "regulars", im talking about guys like hayden and grover in particular... bring on 2011

Barlow may be the perfect sub. Reintroduce him to AFL by subbing him on 1/2 way through the third quarter.

My Team
FB: Greg Broughton, Grover , Roger Hayden

C: Anthony Morabito, Rhys Palmer, Stephen Hill

HF: Nathan Fyfe, Matthew Pavlich, Matt Deboer

FF: Hayden Ballantyne, Jack Anthony, Michael Walters

Followers: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Nick Suban

INT: Crowley, Mayne, McPhee, Barlow - Sub

Emg: Griffen, Roberton, Clarke, Mzungu, Chrichton,Michael Johnson,Pitt , Alex Silvagni, Faulks.

I love our depth :)

will be interesting to see the preseason competition, id imagine there will be some very nervous andd desperate "regulars", im talking about guys like hayden and grover in particular... bring on 2011

Yep. Faulks looks to be very much plug and play, which will almost makes Grover a depth player if Faulks shows enough.

Crighton looks taylor made to take over Haydens place. His only saviour will be Broughtons midfield rotation which may garner him a spot in the side. But he will want to be on his toes.

Very interesting times ahead at the selection table.

Broughton Grover Ibbotson
Duffield McPharlin Mzungu
Hill Mundy Morabito
Mayne Pav Fyfe
Ballantyne Anthony Johnson

Sandi McPhee Barlow (Palmer)

Crowley De Boer Suban Sub: Silvagni (Can ruck, play forward/back)

Emerg: Hayden, Faulks, Palmer (if Barlow doesn't come up)

Yeah - that's pretty much it. I might be tempted to swap Silvagni and Ibbotson (the latter is pretty flexible as to where he can play too) and also keep Palmer's development going by swapping him for Crowley. Crowls will be after a GWS contract next year with the way our team is shaping. Also wouldn't surprise to see Faulks claim the number one lock down role in due course - if so, I imagne he would be replacing Grover.

It's gonna get ultra hard to select the teams next year barring injuries. In these teams there aren't really any players that i want to take out. But Walters is too skillful and classy to not be in the team now. His game against Sydney this year was just superb. Van Berlo is the one for me who is on edge. This year in the draft we have emphasized good kickers and he doesn't really fit the bill. Crowley would be on the outer if he wasn't a good tagger. I wish people would stop knocking Grover he's been a terrific defender for our club. Rhys Palmer is also very important. In my opinion he is the purest inside midfielder that we have in the team.

Can't wait for Feb 13 NAB cup

too hard to do a team right now but I think Roberton is best 22. He was close to our BOG in our semi final debacle which is a huge tick for the young guy. Also think Grover, Crowley and Hayden could be in a bit of trouble. I like Grover but I hope the bigger and quicker Faulks can step in straght away. Hayden seems to be slowing down just a touch and seem to be getting into strife a bit more than normal. I don't like McPhee and Crowley in the same side because they both play the same role and both have the same weaknesses ie decision making and disposal under pressure. McPhee seems to be the number one tagger now so that leaves Crowley out IMO

My Team (with replacements listed below when the long term injuries/spudness sets in)

FB: Greg Broughton, Grover*, Roger Hayden*
C: Anthony Morabito, McPhee, Stephen Hill
HF: Nathan Fyfe, Matthew Pavlich Chris Mayne
FF: Hayden Ballantyne, Jack Anthony, Michael Walters
Followers: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Barlow
INT: Palmer, De Boer, Nick Suban
SUB: Johnson

*much left in the tank for 2011:confused: maybe a few game away from retirement...

Just check out our 2nds to fill spots though!!!:
Alex Silvagni
Roberton
Crowley
Bradley
Bollenhagen
Griffen
Faulks
Clarke
Mzungu
Chrichton
Pitt
Hinkley
JVB

Alot of people at the club have short memories Palmer will be a very good player if he keeps improving his kicking and his disciplines off the field. Silvagni a good honest competitor but not in first 22. Saying that great pick by Brad lloyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill Mundy Morabito
Mayne Pav Fyfe

The mix of talls and smalls will be interesting. If Fyfe/Balla's/Hill/Broughton/Duffield tweak a hammy in the first term bringing Silvagni into the game it ends up being a fairly tall line up.

The new rule works against Grover, I wouldn't be surprised to see him regularly in the 25 but miss out at times due to the flexibility of Silvagni, Johnson and Anthony.

While being non-committal to Grover, hayden or perhaps Crowley's place in the 22 may seem disrespectful, if we are genuinely having a tilt at a decent finals campaign then there is zero room for sentiment. It will be a long season, and all of those players will get games, and the ball will be in their hands as to whether they are still getting those games come finals time.

Last year the Club gave a fair chunk of the team the Hawthorn/Tassie game off. We now have a squad where giving players a rest during the season won't only be good for them, but also good for the incoming players development, and double-plus good for the team coming into a finals campaign if we get there.

I would be very keen to see how Palmer is looking as early into the season as possible, and if Barlow needs time, that fits quite nicely.

Hill Mundy Morabito
Mayne Pav Fyfe

I would have Sonny in the forward pocket rather than Johnson and Grover is a bit iffy, otherwise my team looks very similar.

Sonny is a monty for starting 21 come Rd.1, make no mistake.

I would have Sonny in the forward pocket rather than Johnson and Grover is a bit iffy, otherwise my team looks very similar.

Sonny is a monty for starting 21 come Rd.1, make no mistake.

depends on how fit he comes back. hasnt he always had a suspect attitude towards fitness? salim? or am i mixed up with someone else

We will need a full 30 very good players to win it this year and it looks like we might have that without having to include Schammer and the likes. Possibly Hayden and Grover to miss finals football.

the other thing to come into it next year will be second year blues. hopefully fyfe, mora, robbo, and to a lesser degree snos and micky b can avoid it. we need them all to be up and firing. having a fit and confident micky b would be just sensational, not only for our chances, but so that the feel good story of the afl can get the career he deserves

Rather than posting a team, I have a few comments on selection and structures:

1. Would like to see Broughton in the midfield - he showed in a couple of games last year he can do it and I think we need another high possession classy mid. (It's so hard to believe this guy couldn't get drafted for so long)

2. Would like to leave Duffield down back because I feel very relaxed when he takes the kick in and because I value highly the way he takes the game on from back there.

3. Would like to play Johnno up forward. He was pretty good there early in the season, when we were going well and finished the season very strongly. He is a good kick at goal (something we are not over endowed with) and can be a hard match up.

4. If Roger can make the team, I think his value these days is up forward. He can be creative.

5. We need to reduce Sandi's game time. He can't be expected to play that level of game time week in week out. How we achieve this depends on form of Clarke, Griffen, Kep and even Silvagni (who spent a little time in the ruck late last year). Sandi can then play a really high level of game time in big games.

Anybody who doesn't have Silvagni in our best 22 has rocks in their heads :thumbsu:

Completely agree he is definitely in the 22 for mine.

Broughton Grover Silvagni
Duffield McPharlin Roberton
Hill Palmer Morabito
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe
Ballantyne Anthony Walters

Sandilands Barlow Mundy

Int: Johnson De boer Mzungu Sub: Suban

I think most people have listed the same sexy looking half-foward line :thumbsu:

Only changes would be dependant on whether or not Faulks can have a good pre-season and displace Grover and whether or not Hayden can maintain his spot- something I don't see happening.

Phew! Too hard :D So a few comments...

I'd really like to see Sibo play in the NAB cup. It's time to throw him in there to get a bit of experience at the next level and see how he goes.

I also think Hayden's time as a defender is pretty much over and his position should be forward. I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes with a run through the middle every now and then either. His creativity and ability to read the play could be a real asset used at appropriate times.

Roberton is best 22, no doubt in my mind. Excellent reader of the play, great disposal, great decision making, good overhead, courageous and fast. What more do you want? I'll be interested to see how much weight he adds to his frame over the off-season. At 191 cm (might even be taller by now) and with his other attributes he is a lock for starting 22.

Barlow won't be starting in the AFL in round 1. Hopefully a couple of halves in the NAB cup to have a run. Would be stoked if he is back by round 5.

If Palmer shows he is getting back to his pre-knee form he should be on the ball and Mundy in the centre. Mundy's clearance play was great last year but if Palmer can do the in-and-under job most of the time supported by Mundy rather than the other way around then we are more skillful. Having them both in the guts is mouth watering.

The comments on Faulks fitness are a bit of a concern - especially that bit about his VO2. If he comes up though, Grover will be struggling.

We don't have Anthony...yet

Mzungu Faulks Silvagni

Duffield McPharlin Suban

Morabito Mundy Hill

Fyfe Pavlich Deboer

Ballantyne Mayne Walters

F. Sandi McPhee Palmer

I. Johnson Hayden Ibbotson Sub: Bradley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back