Costa on Malthouse = Fail

Remove this Banner Ad

Costa is a knob. So what if Balme didnt get on with Malthouse. He's only heard one side of the story.

Sometimes people dont have the same ideas and need to part company. Thats no reflection of either parties.

Balme and Thompson style of allowing their players alot of freedom worked because they had highly skilled players with a football brain.

Malthouse structured approach worked for West Coast and Collingwood,

Costa > McGuire :confused:

I'd rather McGuire over Costa any day of the week!

I think Costa's repuation has taken a battering this year with some very silly comments. His one about the Malthouse and Buckley partnership being a mistake and would caause problems for Collingwood could not have been further from the truth, a premiership in the first year FFS!!!

And hasn't his comments about Malthouse being a control freak and the complete opposite of Thompson also come back to bite him on the backside in light of what Ablett has said about his former coach. Ouch!!!

The the point is more about Mark Thompson being lauded as not a control freak. Frank was praising up Mark Thompson as being a great coach because he was so good at delegating & concentrating just on coaching while back handing Mick Malthouse by saying he was a total control freak (which I don't dispute incidently as most coaches are) who was holding the club back by being this way.

It now emerges (not through Wikileaks for once) that Thompson is a control freak, according to the players. The irony is clear.

Poor old Frank and probably the board simply misjudged their coach. This is becoming clearer from the shambolic nature of his departure and their surprise. They really weren't in touch with day to day footballing operations - but if it ain't broke why fix it? Well to keep your once in a generation star perhaps.

I think the board should take more responsibility for whats happened.

Sadly you are right. The problem with Frank is that he is too nice a guy. A hand shake agreement was good enough for him and he accepted Bomber at face value. I don't know if that's how he has run his fuit & vegetable empire.

Costa should have kept his mouth closed.

He really lost control of Geelong in his last year & as a supporter/member, I would cringe if Eddie acted like Frank with the whole McCartney/Thompson issue.

And be an invisible president? Costa was the architect of Geelong's transformation from a basket case on the verge of bankruptcy into a financially stable, premiership club.

Eddie has said some very stupid things too. Remember the Didak saga?

Balme may be alright at booking hotels and organising a bus to the airport, but his coaching record would suggest he has f*all idea about how to control and improve football players. He was always too soft a character

I would Hardly begrudge Costa on anything....he has done a remarkable job in turning our club around from the pitfulls of mass debt, s**t lists and mediocre reputation. His comments were based around Thompson at the time.....clearly Bomber ran into issues at the end of his tenure...so be it, we won Two premierships and played a fantastic brand of football - which has set us up well for the upcoming season....if a few loose comments are the price of this then i'm more than willing to back in Frank.

This is why it is so painful when Collingwood wins the flag....endless barrages of preschool shenanigans....

I'm really looking forward to Feb 2011, when every clubs penii will be on show, awaiting measurement.

Frank v Eddie - who effing cares, its about results on the field, not who hosts the best dinner party!

Gazza's gone to the coast, we may well lose one to West Sydney (although I cant see the attraction, Balinga / Blacktown, you make the choice), and Micks in the office in October. The world turns.

Bring on 2011.

Costa is a ****, he gloated after Collingwood lost the 2003 GF, Eddie didn't name him publicly, but said he was disappointed with the actions of one club's president that day. Costa got found out for being a twat and has felt the need to get one back. He probably should have fired off a shot prior to this season, because he certainly picked the wrong season to fire one off at malthouse.

I am not a huge fan of Malthouse, but at the end of the day, if being a control freak gets us flags, then he can can control the bloody universe for all I would care.

But now we have Ablett indirectly calling Costa either a liar or a fool for Thompson being the same as Malthouse, it might pay the senile old fool to have a look in his own back yard before he criticises other clubs. I am thinking he is more a fool, because while he fiddled, Kardinia Park burned.

Costa is a ****, he gloated after Collingwood lost the 2003 GF, Eddie didn't name him publicly, but said he was disappointed with the actions of one club's president .

Roof?...or pure speculation to support your own spurious post?

But now we have Ablett indirectly calling Costa either a liar or a fool for Thompson being the same as Malthouse,

To come to that conclusion you would have to assume that everything Ablett says is accurate......not driven in any way by a need to bite back at Thompson? I dont think anyone thinks Thompson & Malthouse are "the same"

I am thinking he is more a fool,

LOL...sure he is...multi millionaire successful businessmen ( one who also resurrected a club on the edge of a financial abyss ) are often fools in the eyes of keyboard cowboys who hide behind their screen spitting out vitriol to make themselves feel good....:thumbsu:

because while he fiddled, Kardinia Park burned

Dramatic....but nonsensensical and inaccurate on any measure.

All in all a load of crap written by the follower of a club whose own Pres is reviled by many and who has his own "issues" with respect to investments in the past ..& statements to the press that had many followers of other clubs loaded up with trolling material for years ( e.g Didak)

I doubt Costa will lose much sleep over your ill-founded criticisms.

Regardless of Costa's financial credentials etc or whether Ablett's words were accurate or not it is still valid to say he is a fool. The simple fact that Thompson has left under the circumstances that he has, the fact that Thompson was not brought into line during the season and the obvious inaccuracy of his churlish and petulant dig at the Collingwood football club are testament to that.

Costa is a ****, he gloated after Collingwood lost the 2003 GF, Eddie didn't name him publicly, but said he was disappointed with the actions of one club's president that day. Costa got found out for being a twat and has felt the need to get one back.
I am sorely disappointed.

With the 14 other presidents at that time.
Why weren't they also hanging s**t on Eddie?
FFS, 7 years; and 2 Cats flags to 1 Pies flag later; I'm sure Costa's real worried about that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such an overreaction by Pies fans in this thread, ffs Malthouse was calling opposition players rapists a few months ago, dismissing Melbourne on QB, Eddie claiming untainted flags yet Costa hasn't moved on from the 03' gf? :rolleyes:

hilarious that anyone would try and defend costa here.

he went out of his way to criticise another club's coach while his own man was "exhibit a" control freak.

an embarrassing time for the man.

Sadly you are right. The problem with Frank is that he is too nice a guy. A hand shake agreement was good enough for him and he accepted Bomber at face value. I don't know if that's how he has run his fuit & vegetable empire.

shake someones hand in the fruit and veg industry and you are placing a gun to your head

hilarious that anyone would try and defend costa here.

he went out of his way to criticise another club's coach while his own man was "exhibit a" control freak.

an embarrassing time for the man.

Yep, he really went out of his way talking at a function where he wasn't to realise there would be someone recording his speech. :rolleyes:

As mentioned before, how are Costa's comments any different from Eddie's comments regarding Heath Shaw and Alan Didak a few year's back?

So the guy took someone's word for gospel, and was made to look stupid later on. He wasn't the first, and he won't be the last.

He said, she said, blah blah blah.

Every person in the world stretches the truth when it suits or when they have to.
The only thing that shits me is the people who call X or Y 'dishonest' or a 'hypocrite'; go back 5 or 10 years and you'll find they've all done the same thing.

Bomber leaves acrimoniously, Cats attempt to poach Neeld, Pies poached Malthouse; Cook left Weagles acrimoniously to go to Geelong: so on and so on.

Every coach would be a controlling person.
It's not a job for phlegmatic characters.
What he said.
It still has to be said though that presidents are in a no win situation when they comment on other clubs. But I applaud them for having an opinion.

As mentioned before, how are Costa's comments any different from Eddie's comments regarding Heath Shaw and Alan Didak a few year's back?

Eddie stuffed up defending his own players. Costa stuffed up dabbling in an area he had no right to get involved in.

a very low moment for Frank.

Its no news story that Neil Balme didnt get along with Mick Malthouse. Its also no news story that Collingwood turned the corner at around the same time as when they sacked Balme.

It will be interesting to see how he goes at Geelong with a new coach and president, and without Ablett making adminidtrators like him look good.

Thats a shocking post seens the year Balme came to Geelong we turned around one of the worst years wed had in decades to come back and win two flags from 3 grand finals.

And you guys turned the corner by winning a flag 4 years later....

Wish Balme would leave now so i could look forward to a flag in 2015..

Yep, he really went out of his way talking at a function where he wasn't to realise there would be someone recording his speech. :rolleyes:
Really?
He wouldn't expect someone to record his words? Just like Aker was so shocked when someone repeated stuff he said at a pie night... at the same time he was releasing a book... hmm handy publicity there...

Doesn't hold water IMHO. Costa's not stupid; he would be well aware of the voice he has & the airplay his comments get.

So the guy took someone's word for gospel, and was made to look stupid later on. He wasn't the first, and he won't be the last.
Agree on that.
It's the ivory tower mob (who've never lied or changed their minds) happy to paint X or Y as liars and hypocrites who get me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back