Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloke was just pivotal in our win.

Put the clamps on Sam Fisher and chipped in with 2 himself.

Outrageous post. Outrageous.

I thought that Mayne competed brilliantly while reducing his rebounding opponent to very little influence. Mayne played an excellent game and his coach would be thrilled with his application.

Fear not, he will be one of the first picked next week and will have the same job on Yarran! Great game Mayne!:thumbsu:

Going to be a tough game next week.

Garlett matchup worries me. Ibbo has the pace but not the mindset.

Need a defensive job on Yarran. I can see him cutting us up big time on Subi. Who has the pace? Mayne?

Don´t want Gibbs floating around free back there either and setting up plays.

Must improve in the clearances. I would chuck Pav in there a few times during the game.

I don´t think Crowley can run with someone like Murphy. He´s better off on soft as butter Gibbs.

Betts is slow but evasive. Grover has done well on him in the past. Probably go to Broughts this week.

Going to be a very good test for Ross this week. Get the matchups right. Get the structures and gameplan right so they don´t run riot through the midfield.

I reckon we are going to see a very defensive game from us next week. Locking down the midfield. Playing it on our terms where Sandi can dictate play. If its open and free flowing Carlton will kill us.

I think we are going to learn a lot this week about our team, our players and our coach.

We have a tough draw for the first half of the year. Gets substantially easier in the last 9 games or so going on current form.

Your absolutely right on this one being a real test for us.
This game is going to be a nightmare for Lyon to get the right match-ups correct.Fyfe will play if right,maybe mora might get the nod to give us some real pace.Then again lower could be good if Lyon wants a slugfest.

Out:
Suban- I log the guy but he needs to get some form
Pearce- don't rate him, kIcking is rubbish

In:
Lower- much better version of Pearce
Spurr- think as a Backman he could do a job

Anyone thinking that Dawson had anything other than a great game are on crack and Fyfe will miss the next 14-16 weeks so he will be out of contention

Out:
Suban- I log the guy but he needs to get some form
Pearce- don't rate him, kIcking is rubbish

In:
Lower- much better version of Pearce
Spurr- think as a Backman he could do a job

Anyone thinking that Dawson had anything other than a great game are on crack and Fyfe will miss the next 14-16 weeks so he will be out of contention

Not sure if serious.

Pearce had one kick go over Clarkes head today. Almost all the rest were pinpoint. Efficiency is way better than Lower. Lower's kicking better?

Where the hell do people still get this thing that Pearce is a terrible kick? What about Fyfe, have a close look at his games. He shanks every second kick.

The brain is a funny thing. People must read something posted on bigfooty several years ago or some memory of a bad kicking game and it sticks indefinitely so they only notice the kicks that go wrong from thereon. I have not seen any footballer kick at 100%.

^^ Pearce can kick better than Lower, so I don't know what you are on about KPR.

And Dawson did not have a "great game". He was serviceable at best; a liability at times; skating on thin ice with the umpires by manhandling his opponent; with one good effort to leave his man and make a bit hit ... just like all his other games.

Still not a fan of Dawson.
If Silvagni is match fit then much prefer him.
Great effort by the boys.
Lachie Neale looks cool under pressure and very quick thinker.

Dawson was close our best defender last night:confused: he does do the little things better than anyothet of out KPDs. Only concede two goals I think on Kosi (the goal square mark had McPharlin on him) and had a crucial tackle and spoiled McEvoy and Rhys Stanley well considering that they have a bit of height on him. Definitely happy with at FullBack but I do also want Silvagni in the team to

He was rag dolled by Kosi.

Like the balance at the moment though. Dont mind a defender getting beaten playing in front as well, Zac just needed to push back harder a few times other than that I thought he was ok.

Most of the night Zac was on Stanley.

Johnson shouldve been on Kosi at times when Zac looked out of position. He was rolling back but the ball was always coming over him.

Not sure if serious.

Pearce had one kick go over Clarkes head today. Almost all the rest were pinpoint. Efficiency is way better than Lower. Lower's kicking better?

Where the hell do people still get this thing that Pearce is a terrible kick? What about Fyfe, have a close look at his games. He shanks every second kick.

The brain is a funny thing. People must read something posted on bigfooty several years ago or some memory of a bad kicking game and it sticks indefinitely so they only notice the kicks that go wrong from thereon. I have not seen any footballer kick at 100%.

Brisbane game last week. So many were turnovers. Passes going over peoples heads being marked by trailing defenders particularly annoying. Apart from his first disposal last night he had tightened up considerably.

Dawson was very crucial in 2nd half with his 1 on 1 work and at times took massive risks to leave opponents an stop saints players and did very well.

Once again dumb costly turnovers.
He constantly lives on the edge of giving away free kicks in marking situations which is scary.

Still beleive Silvagni to be the better option but harsh to drop him after that effort.

Out
Suban - not a defender, been doing nothing
Ibbo - Is not soft, just dont think he can play the game, fumbles, no awareness etc

In
Fyfe - no reason necessary
Morabito - sub

Broughton back to defense/midfield at times whatever Ibbo has been doing.

Forwardline is perfect
The structure i have wanted since rnd 1.

I thought Dawson played pretty well. Apart from gifting a couple of goals his defensive work down there was top rate. To the point where I think he played better than McPharlin.

Dawson is very good coming from behind the forward (spoiling) but if he is caught in front... BAD BAD BAD!! Most of the times he lost out the ball was kicked over his and the forwards head running back.

Anyone else think McPharlin has lost a yard of pace??

I thought Dawson played pretty well. Apart from gifting a couple of goals his defensive work down there was top rate. To the point where I think he played better than McPharlin.

Dawson is very good coming from behind the forward (spoiling) but if he is caught in front... BAD BAD BAD!! Most of the times he lost out the ball was kicked over his and the forwards head running back.

Anyone else think McPharlin has lost a yard of pace??

Yep no doubt about maca losing a bit of zip.
Really want to see maca become our loose man in defense,Dawson and SNOS being the two key-defenders.

Yep no doubt about maca losing a bit of zip.
Really want to see maca become our loose man in defense,Dawson and SNOS being the two key-defenders.

Pretty quick to forget the trademark ball tuck, pin ears and burn opponant move he has made his own. particularly when he executed said move only last week.
I think running with reiwoldt was the cause this week, the blonde freak is the love child of De Castella and Dolph Lundgren I swear.

Personally i didn't think Mundy ran out the game that well. Hopefully another week on the track and he'll be starting to get back to full fitness.

IN: Fyfe
OUT: Neale

Suban survives another week due to the fact we have very few left footed small defenders but gee he's skating on thin ice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross said in the after game press conference that Suban was subbed cos he wasnt getting much of it.

Thought Neale looked good when he came on, if there's any worry about Mundy, Barlow or himself running out the game leave him as the sub but otherwise I'd like to see him start.

Expect him to tire and get the red vest, if he's still good in the second half, its a bonus and opens up another option. If SiIvagni or Fyfe are ready to play send Suban back to the wafl if not make him the sub and tell him he's got a quarter or two to make an impression.

OUT: Suban and Neale
IN: Grover and Fyfe

Tough on Neale but if we're serious about improving the side, and we need to this week, then he makes way for Fyfe.

Most of the night Zac was on Stanley.

True. Whoever claimed Dawson was "ragdolled" by Kosi wasn't at the game.

Defending these days is fluid with guys switching regularly. But they set up with Dawson on Stanley. Kosi had a good patch where he kicked 2 or 3 goals and then I noticed Lyon switched Dawson onto him.

Too many on this board hate Dawson and focus on any errors (which all players make) as justification for removing him from the team.

Like the Dawson haters, I rate Silvagni and expect him to come into the line-up at some stage. But right now SCOS's barely beating his opponent in the WAFL, so I find the relentless bleating about him replacing Dawson completely illogical.

How about drop Mayne for Silvagni...

I just dont see what Mayne brings to the team that silvagni cant do and exceed?

Same speed, silvagni stronger, can stick marks and is a better kick...

Mayne seems hopeless to me

Turn it up, i swear some of you blokes are watching a different game.

All this, Silvagni must play at all costs, and Dawson must be dropped, is a load of nonsense.

The Back line is as settled as i have seen for ages.

I've no problem with Suban, his last qtr against Geelong and 1st against the Lions were particularly good. Poor Lachie found it a bit tough in and under getting clean possession but I'd keep him.

Who knows what the FYfe situation will be? No changes for Carlton.

How about drop Mayne for Silvagni...

I just dont see what Mayne brings to the team that silvagni cant do and exceed?

Same speed, silvagni stronger, can stick marks and is a better kick...

Mayne seems hopeless to me

Worst call ever. Took Fisher out of it and chipped in with two goals.

I agree Silvagni should be looked at for selection this week.. but not for Mayne.

If Fyfe is fit then:

In: Fyfe
Out: Suban

That's all I'd do. As much as I'd like Silvagni in, there's no need to disrupt the structure of a winning team. I'm sure he'll come in sometime soon anyway. I wouldn't worry too much. Might be the last year for Grover though...

True. Whoever claimed Dawson was "ragdolled" by Kosi wasn't at the game.

Defending these days is fluid with guys switching regularly. But they set up with Dawson on Stanley. Kosi had a good patch where he kicked 2 or 3 goals and then I noticed Lyon switched Dawson onto him.

Too many on this board hate Dawson and focus on any errors (which all players make) as justification for removing him from the team.

Like the Dawson haters, I rate Silvagni and expect him to come into the line-up at some stage. But right now SCOS's barely beating his opponent in the WAFL, so I find the relentless bleating about him replacing Dawson completely illogical.

Im not bashing Dawson but he kicked 2 of his 3 on Dawson and should of had another on him had his brain not exploded.

He rag dolled Zac who got caught under the ball a few times.

Carazzo has disappeared down the race early with injury, not great news. I would really like to face them at full strength on Friday night. No excuses that way.

If Fyfe is fit then:

In: Fyfe
Out: Suban

That's all I'd do. As much as I'd like Silvagni in, there's no need to disrupt the structure of a winning team. I'm sure he'll come in sometime soon anyway. I wouldn't worry too much. Might be the last year for Grover though...

Works for me.

Spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back