Preview Essendon vs North Melbourne (12/08/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need everyone they can get ......we are ready. I think we will win.

There will be alot of factors that come into play.
Essendon could have 7 best 22 players available or decide to not play 3 or 4.
Still that is a third of a side missing and whoever will play will be feeling the pinch on the fast track at Etihad.
Stanton will be pivotal in terms of assisting Watson and Hocking in the middle if he plays. Heppel was also good last week in the middle also so hell be vital if in the guts again this week. The run will only help Hurley aswell.
Dont know how much last weeks game against the crows will effect the dons- being in the wet and a short turn around then North.
Also the past 3 results at Etihad arent favourable for the Dons where as we havnt lost there in 3 months.
both these side love the underdog status- which is what makes these contests great as they turn out fairly even.
On form and on paper North should have the ascendancy. The bomber boys though will want to sure up a top 8 spot.

IMO itll come down to who plays and who doesnt. If North gets its running game going theyll go far to win. Essendon will need to get its contested game going with their kicking spread. With the lack of games in some of their players and coming back from Adelaide- the issue is whether this will hold up for 4 quarters.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There will be alot of factors that come into play.
Essendon could have 7 best 22 players available or decide to not play 3 or 4.
Still that is a third of a side missing and whoever will play will be feeling the pinch on the fast track at Etihad.
Stanton will be pivotal in terms of assisting Watson and Hocking in the middle if he plays. Heppel was also good last week in the middle also so hell be vital if in the guts again this week. The run will only help Hurley aswell.
Dont know how much last weeks game against the crows will effect the dons- being in the wet and a short turn around then North.
Also the past 3 results at Etihad arent favourable for the Dons where as we havnt lost there in 3 months.
both these side love the underdog status- which is what makes these contests great as they turn out fairly even.
On form and on paper North should have the ascendancy. The bomber boys though will want to sure up a top 8 spot.

IMO itll come down to who plays and who doesnt. If North gets its running game going theyll go far to win. Essendon will need to get its contested game going with their kicking spread. With the lack of games in some of their players and coming back from Adelaide- the issue is whether this will hold up for 4 quarters.

I must admit I wish Jack was available and play his battering ram game its very obvious we're missing him there in this dept. Hocking really didnt play last time against us as he got KO'd by his own team mate early in the game. So he is an added bonus we should mindful of. We need to quell Watsons game as he is the heart of Essendon at this moment by a long way.
I would have liked to rebumped the Atley v's Heppell by offering a version 2 thread but my starting a new thread rights have been revoked.o_O I wonder if Essendon had their choice again would they be happy to take Heppell again or would they like Atley instead??

I must admit I wish Jack was available and play his battering ram game its very obvious we're missing him there in this dept. Hocking really didnt play last time against us as he got KO'd by his own team mate early in the game. So he is an added bonus we should mindful of. We need to quell Watsons game as he is the heart of Essendon at this moment by a long way.
I would have liked to rebumped the Atley v's Heppell by offering a version 2 thread but my starting a new thread rights have been revoked.o_O I wonder if Essendon had their choice again would they be happy to take Heppell again or would they like Atley instead??

Would love Jack to have played but happier for him to return next week.
Hocking has actually been subbed out the past 2 times against us in the first quarter.
I think Spitz will go head to head with Watson ala Judd.
hrmm, any chance of Heppel lining up on Atley?

Watson_my_mind

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm 100% serious. With the players we have out we can't be competitive. North beat us all over the field.

Grima and Thompson are excellent, AA quality defenders and will shut down Hurley, Gumbleton and/or Crameri. They have superstar midfielders in Swallow, Wells and Harvey, while we only have Jobe. They have the best ruckman in the game behind Cox in Goldstein, who will smash Bellchambers into oblivion. And of course, the in-form forward of the competition in Drew Petrie, who will make Hooker/Carlisle look silly. Plus of course Shaun "the next Judd" Atley providing their dashing run off half back. And that's without mentioning the guns that will be missing for them, including Ziebull (his real name is Jack Ziebell but he's such a beast/brute/force that I call him Ziebull instead), Lindsay "keeps his feet" Thomas and Leigh Adams. A couple of the players that helped us overcome North in Round 1 probably won't be there (Ryder, Stanton, Howlett, Zaharakis), and if they are will be underdone.

Chuck your entire bank accounts on North this week. Them losing this Sunday would be one of the biggest bungles of the season. North supporters should definetly talk themselves up, because there's literally 0% chance it will backfire on them.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

I wonder if Essendon had their choice again would they be happy to take Heppell again or would they like Atley instead??

Heppell thanks, he is just the better player long-term and he can play a range of positions, not to mention his foot skills are much better.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
I wonder if Essendon had their choice again would they be happy to take Heppell again or would they like Atley instead??

Well Dodoro labelled him as "Judd like" so I can't see why we couldnt put him in the guts.....somebody email Brad.

And you wonder why you dolts arent welcome when all you're trying to do is bait people.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Jeez I thought i had just entered the twilight zone.. i came to the ESSENDON board after a few days to read our preview.. and read three pages in a row of nth posters, isnt there another board somewhere in the boondocks where they do their previewing?

Jeez I thought i had just entered the twilight zone.. i came to the ESSENDON board after a few days to read our preview.. and read three pages in a row of nth posters, isnt there another board somewhere in the boondocks where they do their previewing?

Frankly, I don't understand why they don't stay on their own board, which is by all reports a bustling highly active metropolis. Instead they fixate on this board. Very strange.

Anyone else defiantly tipping Essendon for no good reason?

Who's baiting? thats an honest question? Heppell had a brilliant 1st year and Atley has had just as good a 2nd year.........I didn't put out a video welcoming Atley to your club on your website, thats just fact my friend and its an fair question to raise, if you had the choice again.

The Heppell-Atley thing has been done to death, for goodness sake. Remember that "North Way v Essendon Way" thread on your board after the Round 1 game? Frankly, it was pathetic. This obsession with comparing them almost exclusively comes from the North end, like some sort of inferiority complex.

Is it not enough to just accept that they are both very good young players? Heppell will be a beauty, and so will Atley. Endlessly comparing is just glorified dick-measuring to massage the internet ego of certain posters.

Some are being pedantic in this discussion - Wells is the proto-type of an outside/insider midfielder - That is someone who can win the ball inside but has pace to scoot away from the congestion. He is probably stronger in the outside role - We need this type of player at EFC.

We have one, Zaka - his absence has been enormous.

Who's baiting? thats an honest question? Heppell had a brilliant 1st year and Atley has had just as good a 2nd year.........I didn't put out a video welcoming Atley to your club on your website, thats just fact my friend and its an fair question to raise, if you had the choice again.

There it is again, massive over rating.

Atley's second year is not equal to Heppell's first or second.

Geez, Atley's whopping 18 touches and three marks a game must be devestating.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geez, Atley's whopping 18 touches and three marks a game must be devestating.

Yes. Yes they are (the touches, not the marks). That is why any discussion re North in the media will cover his amazing run off half back whilst keeping some of the best small forwards in the league to 2-3 goals max. In a year or two he'll be playing midfield and bursting out of packs like................................. i don't know............ C Judd in his prime.

Yes. Yes they are (the touches, not the marks). That is why any discussion re North in the media will cover his amazing run off half back whilst keeping some of the best small forwards in the league to 2-3 goals max. In a year or two he'll be playing midfield and bursting out of packs like................................. i don't know............ C Judd in his prime.

Yes and while we're waiting, we'll stick with the superior player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back