Preview Changes Freo vs GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless Harbrow has improved out of sight as a rebounder, I think MDB needs a midfield role... as a negating forward role against Brennan or Harbrow doesn't seem a fair trade-off (compared to using a more genuine attacking forward).

I want to see this as well - it allows us to see MDB's good handball skills in the middle and of course we plonk Crozier onto the HFF instead who has not put a foot wrong yet.

I want to see this as well - it allows us to see MDB's good handball skills in the middle and of course we plonk Crozier onto the HFF instead who has not put a foot wrong yet.

Would be nice to see the buddy get another run. Wish I'd watched that. Was it on FTA? Have been out all day pretty much.

Needs to be horses for courses. If there isn't a genuine match-up for a negating defensive forward, then that spot shouldn't be used.

that will be an interesting match up

though, is it just me or is crowley's efficiency as a stopper seems down from last year ?!? maybe the pecks injury affected him more than expected

Certainly not to the same standard. His actual tagging is ok, if not up to last years standard, but it is his hurt factor going the other way which is way down imo.

that will be an interesting match up

though, is it just me or is crowley's efficiency as a stopper seems down from last year ?!? maybe the pecks injury affected him more than expected

Deledio did very little yesterday. Crowls did his job. Lids got 20 touches but had very little influence on the game that I could tell. He's Hodge-style dangerous when he's on. He wasn't on, on Friday... and Crowls had a lot to do with that.

Cotchin tore us up. That p*ssed me off, as we just seemed to roll the dice and run head-to-head against him the whole game. Even a few patches of a negator matched up against him would have been nice.

Would be nice to see the buddy get another run. Wish I'd watched that. Was it on FTA? Have been out all day pretty much.

Needs to be horses for courses. If there isn't a genuine match-up for a negating defensive forward, then that spot shouldn't be used.
If you are talking about the peel game you might be able to watch it on abc i view.

Deledio did very little yesterday. Crowls did his job. Lids got 20 touches but had very little influence on the game that I could tell. He's Hodge-style dangerous when he's on. He wasn't on, on Friday... and Crowls had a lot to do with that.

Cotchin tore us up. That p*ssed me off, as we just seemed to roll the dice and run head-to-head against him the whole game. Even a few patches of a negator matched up against him would have been nice.

yeah he did ... there was talk that cotchin's DE was pretty ordinary, fyfe-style ... but i thought he was kicking them pretty well today ... moving a de boer or mzungu after HT would of been the go imo

Is Mellington injured?
He started the year in some pretty good form but havent heard much from him since.

If he is fit i think its worth bringing him in to add some more scoring power.
He is similar to Mayne in that he is good on the lead and applies good pressure plus damn hard at it.

Outs
Fyfe - IMO it was very low impact and ended up more as a push than a kick, however after watching replay of game on TV commentators were making a massive deal about it and trying to call it a kick and its minimum 1 week, some d******d was calling for 3 weeks
Bradley - Injured
Neale - didnt do enough, i think he is best suited to small forward occassional midfield, behind Walters and Ballas in pecking order.

In
Mellington - replaces Bradley.
Crozier - replace Neale can play mid and small forward, good young player.
Smith/Taberner - to replace Fyfe if we get screwed by MRP and he gets suspended.
Maybe start as sub to replace Hannath or even Griffin late in the game.

Saw a bit of Taberner play today, lacks upper body strength but looks to have a good understanding of playing as a forward and when and where to lead to.

Plus Schloithe seems to have been getting better for South, Josh Simpson coming along nicely and of course Mora. Real pity our KPP player depth is nowhere near the same level which is why I am still not sure about our 3rd pick in the ND over someone like Colledge - prove me wrong Max!
Or Membrey, who just happened to land to the swans. The swans forward line in a few years will contain Tippett, Reid and Membrey....damn!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

come on couldhavebeen ... that cant be all ... give us something from left field as well :)

O\k I know you want a good laugh but Ill keep some of the powder dry for a little while yet only to say there wil be changes to the line up from the Richmond game '
Silvagni will come into the side. De boer and lauchie will be dropped .Lookout for Mellington and Crozier as well .
Hill to go with Bennell.Crozier to run with Ablett.

Crozier has a huge tank and he has good reach .
In close he can fend the ball from getting to and from Ablett , he also gets a real good lesson
on playing as a mid .

Or Membrey, who just happened to land to the swans. The swans forward line in a few years will contain Tippett, Reid and Membrey....damn!

Never saw Membrey play, but he's the same height as Mayne.

Similar role I thought too... but much less of a pressure/tackling type.

What am I missing? Beside the fact that Tippett and Reid are a brilliant KPF setup... that I know.

Actually... yeah. Either one of those guys would be pretty friggin handy. Despite the fact that Tippett would be a beautiful fit for Freo's forward line, I can't help but think Reid will be the better player long term.

Have thought this for a couple of years, since I saw him beat and worry Luke a few times a couple of years ago as a 19 or 20 year old . First time I've seen anyone more athletic than Luke and look so dangerous in the air. Thankfully he's still working out his kicking.

Walker is another brilliant, athletic key. But everyone seems to be aware of him. Reid won't be too far away from a breakout like Walker had last year I don't reckon.

Never saw Membrey play, but he's the same height as Mayne.

Similar role I thought too... but much less of a pressure/tackling type.

What am I missing? Beside the fact that Tippett and Reid are a brilliant KPF setup... that I know.

Actually... yeah. Either one of those guys would be pretty friggin handy. Despite the fact that Tippett would be a beautiful fit for Freo's forward line, I can't help but think Reid will be the better player long term.

Have thought this for a couple of years, since I saw him beat and worry Luke a few times a couple of years ago as a 19 or 20 year old . First time I've seen anyone more athletic than Luke and look so dangerous in the air. Thankfully he's still working out his kicking.

Walker is another brilliant, athletic key. But everyone seems to be aware of him. Reid won't be too far away from a breakout like Walker had last year I don't reckon.
Yeah, kind of like Mayne, but having someone that height that is a forward would be handy right now. With our injuries it' just Mayne and then our smalls. You're right about Reid, is going to be a star. If this year has taught the recruiters anything yet, it's that we need to draft a KPF this year full stop.

O\k I know you want a good laugh but Ill keep some of the powder dry for a little while yet only to say there wil be changes to the line up from the Richmond game '
Silvagni will come into the side. De boer and lauchie will be dropped .Lookout for Mellington and Crozier as well .

In close he can fend the ball from getting to and from Ablett , he also gets a real good lesson
on playing as a mid .
Wont happen, he's in our leadership group, RL wont drop him. De Boer has gotten off to a shaky start this year, but he shouldn't be dropped. Also why would we bring Mellington in? Not sure if he played WAFL last week, or if he's playing this week. Our forward line doesn't need another small forward.

on playing as a mid .

nah not for laugh ... a different perspective is always good

neale unlucky but crozier offers more forward and has a bit more x-factor about him

i wouldnt drop de boer and might run de boer run with ablett ... ablett is too much of a champ to let loose and imo prefer crozier to play an attacking game rather negating

A lot of smalls there but no talls?

Melligton was drafted as a 17 year old turning 18 that year, and his height was 187cm, I dont classify him as a small.
Having two Maynes together in the forward line, is like stirring a hornets nest.
Crozier maybe a small, but he can jump on your head from a few steps, hes too good to be playing wafl.

There aren't too many options for marking targets up forward. I'd like to see them flick Fyfe forward, and bring in another clearance player like Michie to replace him in the middle.

I know this comment might cause someone to have a tantrum, but if Duffield is fit he should come straight back in to replace Ibbo. His on field leadership is needed, and he has much better awareness than Ibbo.

Out: Keps, Ibbo
In: Michie, Duffield

Wont happen, he's in our leadership group, RL wont drop him. De Boer has gotten off to a shaky start this year, but he shouldn't be dropped. Also why would we bring Mellington in? Not sure if he played WAFL last week, or if he's playing this week. Our forward line doesn't need another small forward.

Add to the fact that RTB gave De Boer a big thumbs up for the Richmond game, and there is as much chance of him being dropped as me becoming an Eagle supporter.

Our backline played really well, but we need to fit Duffield in.
On performance from Friday night, the best 3 were McPharlin, Johnson & Ibbo, with Dawson & Spurr not far behind. C Pearce was Ok, but had a few clangers with his slow decision making especially evident in the first half.
I am not calling for C Pearce to be dropped (surprise, surprise)
Clancee to the sub as he can fit in the backline, midfield or forward line when required & once the game has settled down he won't be as found out by his slow decision making.
as for the other changes
Kepler & De Boer out (as much as I think De Boer is a ripper)
Faulks (played forward) and Duffield in.
If Fyfe is suspended De Boer stays.
I'd like to find a place for Crozier, but I can't find a way.
Neale needs another chance despite having a shocker & Walters needs 2 have a chat with Mayne about goal kicking.

Melligton was drafted as a 17 year old turning 18 that year, and his height was 187cm, I dont classify him as a small.
Having two Maynes together in the forward line, is like stirring a hornets nest.
Crozier maybe a small, but he can jump on your head from a few steps, hes too good to be playing wafl.

Crozier is the same height as Mello. Both around 189 I believe. Crozier apparently was still growing when we drafted him also. His form this year is much better than Mello's and should come in after yesterday's performance.

Even if Clarke comes back in, that leaves us with three ruck...................................... forwards.

If Clarke is OK I'd be interested in seeing him and Smith/Silvagni/Taberner forward rather than Clarke/Hannath.
Don't believe Clarke is fit enough yet, so it may be a moot point.
Hannath adds more than Taberner for me at this point because he can relieve Griff. and I think that showed last night, Against Essendon Griff was utterly spent by the end, but against Richmond with Hannath switching he had more left in him. Hannath's tap ruck work wasn't bad at all, he just needs to learn to follow up a bit more and also needs more experience as a forward, but that's ok for a first gamer.

Have to be careful with Griff now, Keps out. If we lose Griff for even one week we're going to pay dearly. Can't run him to death every week.

2. C Pearce? Surely you're trolling.
Oh and BTW... having watched the game again I see your point about Clancee Now I'm stuck trying to decide who I would drop for Duffield. I'm not an Ibbo fan, but he did ok - did he do "ok enough" to keep Duffield out though? Seems a bit slow for the Freo gameplan,
IMO Duffield is an auotmatic "in" this season so far. Have to find someone to make way for him,

But you were right, Clancee played well. I'll concede that one :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back