Preview Changes round 8 - Freo Vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

True. I agree.

But the point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't expect Dawson to be able to pull out a fourth quarter performance as his standard throughout a game.

He did a terrific job in the fourth. I suspect a lot of this would have been down to structures and our onballers being refocussed. But some part of it would have had to do with how much Jolly had left in the tank, and the Pies taking a bit of time to react to the newer/refocussed set-up.

I think Sydney will react more quickly and prepare better for it. So if Mummy and Pyke are their ruck set-up, I think they'll give us some trouble in the ruck if we go in with Hannath and Dawson as ours.

I though Hannath competed well, but was still a fair bit out of his depth against Jolly. Mummy would be a similar prospect I reckon, and is a lot more mobile than Jolly and puts in a lot more second and third efforts. Pyke is also a hard worker when the ball hits the deck, and around the ground.

I know you don't value clearances, but they do give you the opportunity to choose which direction the ball goes first. Breaking even there (especially on centre clearances) will make it easier to control the game. The dominance we had over the Pies in clearances in the first and fourth (and theirs in the second and third) surely had an effect on how the momentum swung.

Agreed about it being unrealistic for Dawson to do that for all of the game. Nor should he.

I really like Hannath v Pyke. Very similar styles and mobility, (not much;)), and if Mummy doesn't get up I am confident that we'll win this.

Longmire says that Mummy will definitely play if he's fit, which he should. But for mine, there is the fact that it makes them very tall and a lot slower if both of them are on the ground at the same time. And neither Mummy or Pyke are massive dangers when resting up forward. And it makes our forward press much easier to implement with a log resting up there. Hannath needs to jump into Mummy, (legally), far more than he has done in previous weeks and, as mentioned by someone earlier, the third man up when Mummy is on the ball is vital to curb his influence.

Freo play a Sydney style of footy, or is that vice-versa;), for all of the obvious reasons. And stoppages are king.

We failed for two quarters against Collingwood because our mids lost the ability to shark the oppositions ruck knock. So Fyfe and Hill coming back is huge.

I do bang on about clearances, I know. But let me clarify it a bit.

A true clearance is the beautiful ruck tap from Hannath to Fyfe who dishes out the handball to Hill on the fly, who then delivers a lace out pass to Mayne 35 metres out in front. Goal.

But the same stat is recorded when say D. Pearce,( :D ), under pressure, hacks a kick out into space to no particular advantage to Freo. But he cleared the stoppage area.

Some nerd at Champion data, or footywire, ticks a box as that being a clearance to Freo. Even though the value of each "clearance" is utterly different.

Hence my frustration at some who value the stat so highly.

Nice post (both of them). :thumbsu:

Put it this way though, I'd be much happier if Mummy didn't get up for the game. A makeshift ruck line-up is a much more attractive option (to me) if he doesn't. I still think it'll eventually become a liability if it's Mummy + Pyke versus Hannath + Dawson.

We've got options to reduce the impact (shark opposition tap, third man up) of their rucks but this still provides the opposition onballers with some kind of advantage... they have a better idea of where it is going, or they have another number on the deck around the ball. Whether this advantage is enough to make a difference... who knows. But I know I'd rather Mummy played next week, rather than this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The footage of Jetta running away from MJ into their forward line in the corresponding game last year was not pretty viewing

yeah
Fremantle midfielder Stephen Hill, who was a late withdrawal from last Saturday’s game against Collingwood, is to miss the next two weeks due to injury.

“Unfortunately, Stephen’s quad injury has not come up but we believe he will ready to return in round 10 against Adelaide,” general manager of football operations Chris Bond said today.

Not the greatest of news.. really pissed actually, where did it go from being a one week injury to now three? Did his overly pushing the quad cause more damage?
BUT: It's sydney this week and Melbourne at home. Not overly concerned, means one of Sutcliffe or Croizer gets another chance to show their worth.
Imagine around Adelaide/Bye... Pav possibly back, Hill in, Mora at least one or two weeks away and Sandi as well..
The 22 in the next few weeks just needs to hold on

P*ss poor to be honest. A mild one-to-two weeker turns into four.

If the initial injury was picked up in the way as it was said (minor tweak while kicking for goal), it's either been aggravated (from all the fitness testing?) or they've underestimated the initial injury.

EDIT:

I know which of the two my money would be on.

At least we'll get him back for the Crows. Maybe that's the risk they were willing to take. Try to get him up for the Pies, and if he does tear it worse... they can at least get him right for the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back