Status
Not open for further replies.

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong
a) im in Asia at the moment. Closer than 15,000. b) inside HP from a person i trust a lot. Some will doubt me - and thats totally fine. I actually coudnt care less. But some who ive messaed in the past know that my mail is mostly good, and this is good mail. And logic would dictate that its good. Think about this logically. Geelong have known for over 12 months he was coming home. Theyve known Adelaide wont just roll over on yet another departing star. They know the rules and that Adelaide can match and that forces a trade. Cook is the best in the business. Do you really think the games BEST administrator is going to give away the best draft pick we've had in 10 years when he doesnt absolutely have to? Theyve got the ability through clearing the decks to blow Adelaide out of the water. the Pay structure talk is just white noise. Cook has even said that free agency has altered their perception on the "pay structure". There's a lot of s**t being taked by passionate fans who have little to no idea on how a multi million dollar business (an AFL club) actually operates.

Bottom line is that the best administrator wont give up the best pick they've had in over a decade just cos he wants to be a good bloke. Not when theres a mechanism to get PD for nothing. The AFL will make sure everyone is happy. Thats the mail i have. And if they dont, Geelong have a plan b. Bottom line is we wont be trading anyone of substance, nor will we give away our first pick.

As for Henderson, Carlton are just puffing their chest out. They have no hand at all in this situation. Henderson has told them he'll just sit out the draft and go through the draft with a number and an attitude of "i wont sign for more than a year then ill leave. Feel free to waste a pick" They need a key forward and Walker is a good honest battler. That deals done. Walker and 2nd round pick.

S Selwood will have surgery and nominate Geelong. WC happy to get pick 33 ish for him via compo.
Thanks for all the effort in that reply. :thumbsu:

I am not casting dispersions (sic), and would be very happy to believe all that info.

I would also expect it to be roughly the case as far as planning goes. I also have faith in Cook and Co.

I guess we will see how the cards fall over the coming weeks.

Think yourself lucky to be in Asia away from Hawk mania. :straining:

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
AFL have beaten their chest about "no Veale deals" Wont happen. Theyll call it discretion, give Adelaide 2 picks - and liken it to Geelong Ablett compo. And the compo/FA stuff will ALL change next year regardless, so it wont open any can of worms, because the current rules/goalposts are about to shift dramatically. So Gil will throw 2 picks as discretion, knowing its a one off due to the change that is coming.

#wefeedasone #lolmarty #feederclub #rooownsapub

Would love to hear a tape of the phone call he gets from Hawthorn. :rolleyes:

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Somehow, with 3 flags in the bag i dont think they'll lose any sleep. As i said, it will be softened with "Crows have lost a number of players, the system is being overhauled, this isnt a shift in the compo - Geelong got 2 for Ablett" blah blah blah" You know as well as i do that the AFL do whatever they like and consider themselves immune from criticism and judgement. And the reality is the HUN will run a story on the unfairness of it, but then a Collingwood player will piss in a schooner and offer it to a fan at Transport 2 days later and there will be a new story running on the front page.

#lolmarty #wefeedasone #rooownsapub #feederclub

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
AFL have beaten their chest about "no Veale deals" Wont happen. Theyll call it discretion, give Adelaide 2 picks - and liken it to Geelong Ablett compo. And the compo/FA stuff will ALL change next year regardless, so it wont open any can of worms, because the current rules/goalposts are about to shift dramatically. So Gil will throw 2 picks as discretion, knowing its a one off due to the change that is coming.

In mirroring FredLeDeux there would be a massive uproar in the AFL community if it happened like that.

You can have side deals that aren't like the "Veale" deal. North Sent Delaney to St Kilda for a pick in 70s to get St Kilda to release Dal Santo for free agency. Something like we send 9 and a third rounder for the compensation pick + a player on they are willing to part with

free agency and the compo that goes with it. There wil be a change to the way it gets done, what clubs get, matching not matching, the length of time. Its all going to be overhauled.
Just your theory, or has it been stated?

God I hope it all happens purely for the Hawthorn meltdown as much as anything else

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Interesting choice of drink

Do I need to bring a blender?
no. we will dine like gentlemen, and drink like legends. The cigars post steak will also be excellent. I suggesst we open this event up to all who wish to celebrate us making our list a genuine premiership contender. And that it will be, because it wont just be Selwood, Henderson and Dangerfield we add. Mitch Clark is fit and ready to go. Vardy showed more in 3 games than Walker has in 30. He is about to get a preseason under his belt. Menzel. (enough said) Stanley gives us a legitimately good first ruckman and that in turn releases Blitz to be a pure midfielder - where i might add, when he played that role early on he polled brownlow votes this year - and add a preaseason to Cockatoo and Gregson.

So the side that had the toughest draw in the AFL this year yet still won 11 games -(while dropping games to Melbourne and Collingwood -who had lost 6 prior and got flogged after the Cats game) will add
  • Clark
  • Stanley
  • Vardy
  • Menzel
  • Dangerfield
  • S Selwood
  • Henderson
  • a fitter, harder, more experienced and better Cockatoo and Gregson
Do the math.

no. we will dine like gentlemen, and drink like legends. The cigars post steak will also be excellent. I suggesst we open this event up to all who wish to celebrate us making our list a genuine premiership contender. And that it will be, because it wont just be Selwood, Henderson and Dangerfield we add. Mitch Clark is fit and ready to go. Vardy showed more in 3 games than Walker has in 30. He is about to get a preseason under his belt. Menzel. (enough said) Stanley gives us a legitimately good first ruckman and that in turn releases Blitz to be a pure midfielder - where i might add, when he played that role early on he polled brownlow votes this year - and add a preaseason to Cockatoo and Gregson.

So the side that had the toughest draw in the AFL this year yet still won 11 games -(while dropping games to Melbourne and Collingwood -who had lost 6 prior and got flogged after the Cats game) will add
  • Clark
  • Stanley
  • Vardy
  • Menzel
  • Dangerfield
  • S Selwood
  • Henderson
Do the math.
This all sounds good to me

But I'm not paying :D

betchsta

Club Legend
May 1, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
That's probably why the business is still running and you still have a job.

No not at all buddy, The rich want to get richer & all they care about is revenue & I can tell you the company turns over several million dollars a year,I can't say the Costa family would be short on money.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong

• Clark
  • Stanley
  • Vardy
  • Menzel
  • Dangerfield
  • S Selwood
  • Henderson
Do the math.

Admire the optimism, and I don't think it's entirely unfounded, but I for one will wait until Clark, Vardy and Menzel have played a few months of good footy next year before I included them in my prognostications.

As for the younger blokes, you've mentioned Cocky and Gregson but don't forget Lang, Thurlow and Kolo! Those 5 I feel will have as much say in the next 3-4 years as Danger and Hendo.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope you're right, chief. What makes you think the Crows won't match? Do you reckon it's all just a bit of chest-puffing on their bahalf?

Because Geelong can make it very difficult for the crows to match with a big 2 year deal and also make it pointless by trading out picks for other players. Could they match 2.5 over 2 years? I doubt it. If there's no pick 9 or first rounder next year on the table then even if they could they wouldn't go to the effort with no possible gain. That's the reality.

But Geelong don't want to be seen to be stuffing over a club whose lost its coach and now best player. Adelaide also don't want to make this a big issue because potential players will worry about how they treat a departing player after such great service.

Everyone's seemed to assume these talks are about trading danger. But I suspect both clubs know Geelong can force it to be a FA deal. I also think both clubs think it's completely unfair to lose him for such low compensation. I'd say there's a good chance these discussions are about working together to convince the AFL to give Adelaide more compo be that in the form of picks or financial assistance.

jnrburger

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, all Geelong has to do is trade its first round pick this year and second or later pick for next year and crows are left with the best option of taking the comp pick by not matching. Ie. Future pick trading rules only allow trading of either a round one OR any of the second or subsequent round picks. Posted a few days ago on this, but to recap, give blues pick 9 for henderson and their 3rd rd pick back, and trade our 2nd rd pick for 2016 to gcs for smith. Do this before we put the offer in for danger, and crows will find themselves with little alternative to taking the comp pick or forcing him into the draft where they get nothing.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, all Geelong has to do is trade its first round pick this year and second or later pick for next year and crows are left with the best option of taking the comp pick by not matching. Ie. Future pick trading rules only allow trading of either a round one OR any of the second or subsequent round picks. Posted a few days ago on this, but to recap, give blues pick 9 for henderson and their 3rd rd pick back, and trade our 2nd rd pick for 2016 to gcs for smith. Do this before we put the offer in for danger, and crows will find themselves with little alternative to taking the comp pick or forcing him into the draft where they get nothing.
So you are effectively telling Danger we can't trade for you so if Adelaide match you are going to the draft and what do you think Danger's reaction will be? Excellent I'm thrilled to be possibly being picked up by another club. Won't happen.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I hope your right.... 16 clubs will not be happy... but bad luck. I find it unusual that just about every concoction of a trade resolution has been mooted yet I have not heard this floated by any of the notable journos. Are we saying that the AFL has let certain people know it will grant 2 ? cause the media continually drop ..G and A in discussion... there will be a trade..it may involve a 3rd team... could be picks from this year and next... Geelong players do want to go........ on and on based on Geelong have to trade in a matched environment.

How it all works out and who we bring in....others don't think this way but I have said before, it would not surprise me if Geelong has lost some trade liquidity with Motlop staying... they have less to use for other trades than originally anticapted.. and with the trades being floated for Geelong , it seem Wells will have his work cut out with late picks this year. But if we are serious about returning to the group of teams that can take it to Haw we need to add talent.... cause Haw will continue to.. Who will be this years Frawley/Lake? Which good quality player with 2-3 players left will join the "Locusts" this year.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
Right now we have plenty of cash - all we need to do isuse to fill our gaps
its pointless freeing up capital and then trading picks away when the capital could have been used to preserve the picks

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
the crows can save face

with the afl saying that the crows could not fit geelong's offer under their cap
and they are not compelled to release the offer

end of story and we all move on

if the afl want integrity they will need to follow their normal method of operating

lie lie and lie some more

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
I hope your right.... 16 clubs will not be happy... but bad luck. I find it unusual that just about every concoction of a trade resolution has been mooted yet I have not heard this floated by any of the notable journos. Are we saying that the AFL has let certain people know it will grant 2 ? cause the media continually drop ..G and A in discussion... there will be a trade..it may involve a 3rd team... could be picks from this year and next... Geelong players do want to go........ on and on based on Geelong have to trade in a matched environment.

How it all works out and who we bring in....others don't think this way but I have said before, it would not surprise me if Geelong has lost some trade liquidity with Motlop staying... they have less to use for other trades than originally anticapted.. and with the trades being floated for Geelong , it seem Wells will have his work cut out with late picks this year. But if we are serious about returning to the group of teams that can take it to Haw we need to add talent.... cause Haw will continue to.. Who will be this years Frawley/Lake? Which good quality player with 2-3 players left will join the "Locusts" this year.
You are spot on in regard to motlop. He was out the door and gone for months - it was only after a couple of key things happened that e changed his mind and stayed - so it is possible they expected mots to be part of the solution in regard to bringing him home (danger) and have now had to change tack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
You are spot on in regard to motlop. He was out the door and gone for months - it was only after a couple of key things happened that e changed his mind and stayed - so it is possible they expected mots to be part of the solution in regard to bringing him home (danger) and have now had to change tack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no - mots was demanding $$$$ and was not moving, it is only he changed his mind on the coin that changed the situation
Richmond were not offering the massive offers that people thought they might

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back