On the weekend I played...

A general post-game report thread! Yay!

Last games night (Friday before last) we started the Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign.

I am a Hill Dwarf Druid called Nivea Formen. Poison mist is my specialty. And also history. My two main specialties are poison mist and history. And animal handling. Damn... the many diverse elements in my list of specialties include ...

Due to an unforseen placement (i.e. I just slid all the pieces over to the next encounter without paying attention) I ended up standing off to the side of the party and was set upon by kobolds.

Reduced to 0 HP I was stabilised after the rest of the party took care of business. Two encounters in one night of play. We are a whip-crackling sharp group. "A fast game is a good game" is not and has never been this group's motto.

The weekend before that I had my monthly game day. Only a few newbies showed up so we played Munchkin, Tsuro, Dixit and... something else? EDIT: It was Escape, Curse of the Temple. Which I finally realised doesn't use all of the gems every game: I used the correct number and we made it out alive.

It was the first time I really played Munchkin properly and it is... OK. I have NFI why it is so popular and why there are so many variants of it.

I won Dixit, as I always do. Yay me! Me me me!

Last edited:

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A general post-game report thread! Yay!

Last games night (Friday before last) we started the Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign.

I am a Hill Dwarf Druid called Nivea Formen. Poison mist is my specialty. And also history. My two main specialties are poison mist and history. And animal handling. Damn... the many diverse elements in my list of specialties include ...

Due to an unforseen placement (i.e. I just slid all the pieces over to the next encounter without paying attention) I ended up standing off to the side of the party and was set upon by kobolds.

Reduced to 0 HP I was stabilised after the rest of the party took care of business. Two encounters in one night of play. We are a whip-crackling sharp group. "A fast game is a good game" is not and has never been this group's motto.

The weekend before that I had my monthly game day. Only a few newbies showed up so we played Munchkin, Tsuro, Dixit and... something else?

It was the first time I really played Munchkin properly and it is... OK. I have NFI why it is so popular and why there are so many variants of it.

I won Dixit, as I always do. Yay me! Me me me!

Cant wait for sunday. Got Dominant Species, Keyflower and Spyfall lined up with friends.

No such thing as to much DS.

• Admin
That's what I forgot: Zombicide.

Last game of the day, finished off the beers and played. Messed up the zombie spawning for the first couple of turns so we won - there were a few less zombies than there should have been.

• Admin
Just racked up a few more hours of D&D. More like 2 hours, though, as we got roughly 4/5th of sweet FA done with late arrivals and character-sheet-forgetters re-doing characters.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444745053.724924.jpg

Last edited:
  • Admin
Friday night, played Isle of Skye and Roll for the Galaxy. Totes bombed on IoS and second by 1 point on Roll for the Galaxy - I misread a card and let the game go on for an extra turn, letting the eventual winner rack up a few more VPs out of his production/shipping machine.

Thence to Saturday, introducing the game Skull to a few friends. Took a couple of goes to get it but it is an awesome game.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
It's not meant to be intense or complicated or strategic, it's meant to be a bit of fun. Part of that is screwing friends out of victory, which is always enjoyable.

• Admin
It's not meant to be intense or complicated or strategic, it's meant to be a bit of fun. Part of that is screwing friends out of victory, which is always enjoyable.
We did have an Elf offering to help defeat monsters an awful lot. Cut her short when we realised Elves get a level for helping. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice... well you can't get fooled again.

• Admin
Monthly Games Day!

Tiny Epic Galaxies - this is a good little game in all respects. I won, so I would say that. Upgrade your empire early.

Two games of Skull. Neither won my me.

A game of Sheriff of Nottingham, punctuated by 5 minutes of full-blown idiotic drunken man-baby action by yours truly over a simple rules issue (which was my fault anyway). Not won by me by a long shot.

Topped off with a round of Biblios, won by me.

• Admin
Exodus: Proxima Centauri

A simplified Twilight Imperium. Guide is 45 minutes per player. Budget twice that, specially on your first play. It talks about flavour and theme but the theme is pretty generic.

Identical races, identical ships. Identical tech tree. Random planet placement (and thus resource placement) makes it a bit different every game. I don't think we really had too much trouble with the rules but there are a fair few of them. Lots of choices which leads to some analysis paralysis.

As with Twilight, new rules can be voted in (one off, full turn or permanent). Players get council seats which determines turn order, can vote for changes in council.

Marketplace for buying resources you can't get. Limited choice for actions each round.

PlayerBoard.png

Took us 3+ hours to get to turn 4 out of 7.

exodus_Proxima_centauri.jpg

Note purple player's almost complete lack of ships. Shields, people. Buy shields.

Last edited:

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got to have a play of this last night

REALLY enjoyed it and will be looking to aquire a copy for myself asap.

Only 4 spaces for a worker placement game may sound easy but it had amazing depth for a first play and i think will only get better with repeated plays.

Just played Mice & Mystics with my son, most of the way through a chapter before bed time.

Ages 7+ but I would challenge any 7 year old to work it out for themselves. Not 100% impressed with the rules. A couple of notes in appropriate places could have saved us 15 minutes of messing about trying to work out how the game flows. Turn order cheat cards? Anything would help.

Maybe we were just a bit tired and distracted as the 5 year old and his friend, and the dog, were doing their best to step through the playing area at every opportunity and the Mrs was nagging about dinner, how much longer the game was going to go for, and how to operate the ******* iPad. THE IPAD! HOW LONG HAVE WE OWNED THAT THING, WOMAN?

Hmm. Deep breaths.

MnM-1.jpg

MnM-2.jpg

There are a lot of situational rule changes, equipment cards etc. Read them all carefully.

STILL not 100% sure about how to move into a new room. You seem to have to use an "Explore" action, not just walk in. Or walk in and use an explore action. Or Explore first then walk in... I dunno.

I suppose one issue is that the story book doesn't reference page numbers in the rules book when it mentions an obscure rule for a room. Still can't figure out what the "special search" is in the first chapter. Will Google, but would be nice not to have to stop the game, go find my phone or go sit at the computer and search for an explanation for a game that is supposed to be for kids - and has been around for a few years now so the rules should have been updated in subsequent print runs.

Special Search: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/showthread.php?2682-chapter-one-questions

Explore confusion: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/10631124#10631124
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/953135/roll-die-when-exploring
The rules talk about "attempting" to explore. You then spend ten minutes looking through the rules to work out how to make an attempt, only to find out that wording of the rules only really counts for one of the chapters of the story: Explore is automatically successful in 99.999% of cases. Absolutely does your head in, specially when this is supposed to be fun for the kids, who are slowly getting bored while you leaf through the rules.

Last edited:
Much easier playing it the second night. :) Kid actually corrected me on rules and kept track of his ability and equipment effects.

However I do agree withe the SUSD review: each room has new rules you have to battle, as well as the actual battles on the board. We also rigged up a house rule that if we fail we restart from the previous room, losing all cheese, but also all accumulated damage.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Played the classic 500- sister and I v the old man and his partner. Played best of 3 and snuck away with a win in the decider. Haven't played 4 player 500 often but it smashes 2 and 3 player into oblivion.

Also played sushi go with 3 (lost easily by playing recklessly) and followed up with Targi (2 players) as SO had to study for her neurology exam so a friend and I played my favourite 2 player game. An epic finish where I was able to finish my display first allowed a victory by the barest of margins. Definitely recommend Targi for those who want a unique light/medium weight strategy game to play with a SO.

Big game day today.

Tavern Fame - Two wins to yours truly.

Sheriff of Nottingham - Got through it without tantrums. Just didn't get the cards to win any of the categories and came 3rd or last?

Zombicide - again, messed up a couple of rules but we house ruled our way through it. Fun anyway. (Specially with a couple of drunk players constantly trying to do their own thing)

Sleeping Queens, Uno and Tiny Epic Galaxies to finish off.

There had to have been another game, but I don't recall.

EDIT: Yes I do - Ticket to Ride. How could I have forgotten? I have been waiting a year to play it.

Last edited:
No Thanks!
So simple yet fun.

That does look really good.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12942/no-thanks
The rules are simple. Each turn, players have two options:​
    • play one of their chips to avoid picking up the current face-up card
    • pick up the face-up card (along with any chips that have already been played on that card) and turn over the next card
However, the choices aren't so easy as players compete to have the lowest score at the end of the game. The deck of cards is numbered from 3 to 35, with each card counting for a number of points equal to its face value. Runs of two or more cards only count as the lowest value in the run - but nine cards are removed from the deck before starting, so be careful looking for connectors. Each chip is worth -1 point, but they can be even more valuable by allowing you to avoid drawing that unwanted card.

The first versions of the game supported up to five players, but a 2011 edition supports up to seven.​

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That does look really good.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12942/no-thanks
The rules are simple. Each turn, players have two options:​
    • play one of their chips to avoid picking up the current face-up card
    • pick up the face-up card (along with any chips that have already been played on that card) and turn over the next card
However, the choices aren't so easy as players compete to have the lowest score at the end of the game. The deck of cards is numbered from 3 to 35, with each card counting for a number of points equal to its face value. Runs of two or more cards only count as the lowest value in the run - but nine cards are removed from the deck before starting, so be careful looking for connectors. Each chip is worth -1 point, but they can be even more valuable by allowing you to avoid drawing that unwanted card.

The first versions of the game supported up to five players, but a 2011 edition supports up to seven.​
A game takes literally 15 mins but we played acumalative points. Meant that some rounds you weren't necessarily playing to win, you were trying to maximise the points earned by other players. Could also play first to 10 wins or sonething like that.

On Sunday I played a Kings of War tournament at Group North Historical Wargames Society, 4 game swiss style. My first 4 games ever, playing with Ogres that were just about painted, and I went L-D-W-W to take out 3rd place of 10 competitors. Very quick games, the basic rules were incredibly easy to grasp, and momentum kept shifting in games which made it feel like each turn my choices were having a real impact on the outcome of the game, rather than it having been decided during list building or deployment, like a certain other game.

On Sunday I played a Kings of War tournament at Group North Historical Wargames Society, 4 game swiss style. My first 4 games ever, playing with Ogres that were just about painted, and I went L-D-W-W to take out 3rd place of 10 competitors. Very quick games, the basic rules were incredibly easy to grasp, and momentum kept shifting in games which made it feel like each turn my choices were having a real impact on the outcome of the game, rather than it having been decided during list building or deployment, like a certain other game.
I started reading the free KoW rules and they seemed really nicely laid out and clear. BMG could take a page out of Mantic's book in this regard.

Tiny Epic Galaxies - Still a good filler game. Third? Stuffed up trying to get one planet but all good, the guy who beat me to that planet didn't win :)

Codenames - Team game. Won one of two games played. I'm getting this one for Xmas day gaming.

Splendor - Get gems! Trade them on the market for more gems! Nobles visit you when you have a big enough gem collection! I won, mainly due to a bit of luck, not great play and planning. Still, it was the first game for all of us.

Yesterday I played...

Forbidden Island, Machi Koro, and Kingdom Death: Monster.

Good times had by all!
A mate has Machi Koro - it will get a run soon.

Back