Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Name: Sean Hurley
Height: 196cm
Weight: 92kg
Position: Defender

271924-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Interesting that Bondy has mentioned today that the club sees him as a potential key defender:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-03/dockers-pull-a-surprise-with-wafl-youngster

Selection No.48 – Sean Hurley (Ireland)
Brad Lloyd says: "He's been outstanding with his attitude. He's a really big boy. He's 196cm and he's got a really strong aerobic running capacity. He's come in and he's really given his all. We think we can develop him as a tall key position player. He hasn't looked out of place (with the Australian football). He did some of the pre-season with us last year so he's had time to prepare and hone the skills with the AFL ball. He's fine with his kicking and his ball handling. He's going well."

I posted this in the Irish thread but with MJ 31 next year IF Hurley was to develop really well over the next few seasons it'd be a great spot for him to fill.

First step, let's see if starts for Peel and if not how quickly he can move from their reserves into the main team.

He'll be fine, he's got McPharlin teaching him...Hang on.

He'll be fine, he's got Dawson teaching him....Damn, he's worse.

We're screwed.
LOL, I was facetiously referring to the 87 prelim where he cost Melbourne a spot in the GF by running over the mark and giving Buckenara (I think) a shot from inside 50 due to the then 15m penalty. He kicked the goal and Hawks went into GF after Melbourne led all match.

But you're right.... We're screwed!

Edit: Found it! I somehow don't think Fremantle fans would be as forgiving of Hurley as Melbourne were of Stynes if this cost us a spot in a GF!

Last edited:
Interesting that Bondy has mentioned today that the club sees him as a potential key defender:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-03/dockers-pull-a-surprise-with-wafl-youngster

Yep, saw that. I thought he might have been a better fit as a rebounding third tall/flanker with his running capacity, and potential to develop into a good kick... but E Shed quite rightly pointed out the game-judgement that you need for that role, suggesting him playing a negating KPD role would be a simpler task to grasp.

Glad to be wrong about it, as we have another tall running machine earmarked for a KPD spot, just need to get a bit more muscle on the young fella. And we just redrafted another tall running machine KPD as a rookie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, I was facetiously referring to the 87 prelim where he cost Melbourne a spot in the GF by running over the mark and giving Buckenara (I think) a shot from inside 50 due to the then 15m penalty. He kicked the goal and Hawks went into GF after Melbourne led all match.

But you're right.... We're screwed!
Yeah. He probably would have kicked it anyway but poor jimmy got the blame. McPharlin got screwed in the 2013 GF when buddy shanked it.

Here's a photo of the umpire on his day off.

Nicholls.jpg

Wont know anything until he starts getting games but at least in he's favour things like positioning, judging the flight of a ball, awareness of who's around him, weather conditions etc are all things that he's been doing all along. Some big differences of course and he may never make it but he's grown up with a good bit more AFL awareness (and prep in the last few years) than Stynes ever did and so you never know.

Yeah. He probably would have kicked it anyway but poor jimmy got the blame. McPharlin got screwed in the 2013 GF when buddy shanked it.

Here's a photo of the umpire on his day off.

View attachment 95522

He must be gutted he missed out on the Norm Smith. Easily Hawthorn's best player that day.

Yep, saw that. I thought he might have been a better fit as a rebounding third tall/flanker with his running capacity, and potential to develop into a good kick... but E Shed quite rightly pointed out the game-judgement that you need for that role, suggesting him playing a negating KPD role would be a simpler task to grasp.

Glad to be wrong about it, as we have another tall running machine earmarked for a KPD spot, just need to get a bit more muscle on the young fella. And we just redrafted another tall running machine KPD as a rookie.
Imagine him on someone like Riewoldt who blows backmen up by running up and down the ground all day. Hurley could go with him.
Just tell tell him to stick to him all day and if the ball comes near you get it first or if he gets it you tackle him to the ground.
He's big enough to go toe to toe with the best of them too.

I'm assuming Hurley has played a few games of Australian rules?

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't. Maybe an intra club game?

I would assume he at least has joined in match simulation drills at Freo training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back