News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The eight AFL clubs who will field womens teams are:

I remain very disappointed that a club who repeatedly cheated the salary cap would even be considered for this honour.
Carlton should be second last in the table of consideration with Essendon absolutely last.
Geelong and St Kilda were the two obvious choices, one club each side of the bay and two fairly centrally placed clubs.
Money corrupts the system yet again.
Very disappointed

This would seem to be the case.

Watch the AFL come up with lame justifications for cutting out the whole of South West Victoria, and the whole of South East Victoria to have three inner suburb teams that are situated within 5 klms of each other.

Connections and the football old boy network involved. Money go round. I am sure Fitzpatrick and the others at the AFL are making money out of this somehow.

smh.I distinctly remember asking my dad if I'd ever be able to play footy, just like my brother. He said, not now.... but probably, one day.
I'm glad some younger girls/women will get the chance to play the game we all love. It's not a novelty.

Too bad all the Saints supporting females from the By area which has the highest participation rate in Australia for football cant play for their team and will look lovely in black and white or Blue.

Too bad all the Saints supporting females from the By area which has the highest participation rate in Australia for football cant play for their team and will look lovely in black and white or Blue.

;) :)

vomit-girl-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000651-large.gif~c200

i'm not sure i follow here, are you suggest GC could have had the licence over Brisbane or that there shouldnt have been a team in QLD?

i dont think we should have had the licence over carlton as we just arent in the position to field one without more AFL assistance. Richmond or Geelong probably would have been better placed

Freo over WCE makes sense given their links to womens football in WA, which WCE have not been as heavily involved in
Carlton are more broke than we are.

Carlton are more broke than we are.

no they arent. their revenue is significantly stronger than ours

whats an extra 2 million in debt when you have more than 20 million extra in revenue

carlton also do not have to find an extra 6m for a redevelopment of the facilities

It's a two month season at the hottest time of the year. Purely a strategic decision to get grass roots up and going in all states, nothing really about having a real league.

Now, back to the real game........

Oh well, forget it, too bad that money that should be going to AFL is going to GWS will be wasted.

Lets concentrate on the real thing not some novelty league that will collapse in 3 years.

On a brighter note, ManofClay may finally get to see his colours in a GF. The girls may make one cause the men never will.
I'm a little disappointed that you are trivialising the Women's comp. It has the potential to be huge, and from what I can gather, the Saints' bid was extremely good, better than most in fact. I am disappointed that the traditionally wealthy clubs were just given another free kick (that they don't need), and we were simply dismissed as a nonentity. Maybe we left our decision until just a fraction too late, but CARLTON - the filthy cheats were given another handout. I hate that they were not put second-last in consideration.

Officially - Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, GWS, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs.

The other five clubs who were involved in the bidding process Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast get provisional licences and will be part of the league in the future. Depending on the development of talent within their region, that could be as early as 2018.

I hope the Saints go hard to get a team playing out of a revamped Moorabbin in 2018.
Bottom line, we can still do it in the future, just won't have a shiny Foundation Club title. Hawthorn aren't a foundation club of the men's comp, doesn't seem to have hindered them.

Disappointed, but I hope we move on pretty quickly.

Bottom line, we can still do it in the future, just won't have a shiny Foundation Club title. Hawthorn aren't a foundation club of the men's comp, doesn't seem to have hindered them.
Yeah but we've been a foundation club of the VFA, & VFL/AFL being a foundation club of the NWL would have been fitting.

Matt Finnis has responded to the announcement of the 'chosen 8' with the class we have come to expect from his time as CEO. Congratulated the 8 inaugural clubs and said ...

"While we haven’t been granted an inaugural license, we welcome being allocated a provisional license and will now work towards being ready to field a team from the second year of the NWL competition in 2018."

“We desperately want a team in the NWL. Strategically, it’s important to our future and, driven by what we have learned from the AFL’s first female coach in our Peta Searle, we are confident we will do it well,”.

“We will now focus on establishing a women’s football academy program - in collaboration with the two bayside VWFL teams and bayside Development Regions - to support the player talent base for the inaugural season and beyond."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-06-15/nwl-article

“We will now focus on establishing a women’s football academy program - in collaboration with the two bayside VWFL teams and bayside Development Regions - to support the player talent base for the inaugural season and beyond."
Yeah lets develop talent for Collingwood and Carlton to build their brands, good work AFL much more important than a team that would represent the area.

#FREEKICKCOLLINGWOOD #FREEKICKCARLTON

I'm a little disappointed that you are trivialising the Women's comp. It has the potential to be huge, and from what I can gather, the Saints' bid was extremely good, better than most in fact. I am disappointed that the traditionally wealthy clubs were just given another free kick (that they don't need), and we were simply dismissed as a nonentity. Maybe we left our decision until just a fraction too late, but CARLTON - the filthy cheats were given another handout. I hate that they were not put second-last in consideration.

i love your work posts Kildonan and how much work you put into this forum, so i want to stress i am not attacking you, but i think there's too many assumptions in your post

i am yet to see any evidence that our bid was extremely good or that we were dismissed as a nonentity or that there is a cost-benefit for us right now with the womens football team. i am 200% behind the womens league for the reasons you have mentioned in the past and the only downside to todays announcement was that it was decades too late

i also think we need to move past sinking the boot into carlton for something that happened 10+ years ago

i think the AFL has the runs on the board to demonstrate they can grow businesses and deliver results, i think we have to trust them in their decision here

no they arent. their revenue is significantly stronger than ours

whats an extra 2 million in debt when you have more than 20 million extra in revenue

carlton also do not have to find an extra 6m for a redevelopment of the facilities

Cashflow mate look at cash flow. Revenue means nothing. You can book a billion in revenue, dont matter a fig if you dont collect it.

Cashflow is the key to any financial discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not about geography/how far players have to commute and who lives where. i mean GWS will be grabbing talent from Tasmania

its about how they can grow the game and who can afford it. the reality is there will be more interest is collingwood vs carlton than there will be in st kilda vs collingwood or who ever and both those clubs are in a better position to properly fund it without putting out the hand for more AFL funding
Well it does affect the lives of female footballers, they wouldn't be earning enough of a salary to play only football full-time I would imagine, so for those relocating or having to travel across the state to play it does make a difference.

Once they said 8 sides we were in trouble. Out of the 4 Victorian sides Carlton are the only surprise and the real surprise who missed out was Geelong so at best I think we were placed 10th. Anyway we can now worry about continuing the rebuild of the side we all joined this forum for. As it is the womens comp is pretty mickey mouse. What is it, 6 weeks of games and even before the season starts. Probably better that we come in later anyway when the standard has improved and there is people who actually want to watch the games.

Cashflow mate look at cash flow. Revenue means nothing. You can book a billion in revenue, dont matter a fig if you dont collect it.

Cashflow is the key to any financial discussion

I agree but I don't think many in the AFL industry would say Carlton is struggling more than us financially .

I agree but I don't think many in the AFL industry would say Carlton is struggling more than us financially .
Mate, they are in a s**t load of debt and nearly went broke two years ago, just google it!

Defacto theres no point turning over $50 million if your costs are $51 million. The reason North are out of debt is that they adopted the Rod Butters method of downsizing everything whilst slightly growing their revenue, the net result being profits, not big by any stretch of the imagination but something to sell to their member nevertheless.

Once they said 8 sides we were in trouble. Out of the 4 Victorian sides Carlton are the only surprise and the real surprise who missed out was Geelong so at best I think we were placed 10th. Anyway we can now worry about continuing the rebuild of the side we all joined this forum for. As it is the womens comp is pretty mickey mouse. What is it, 6 weeks of games and even before the season starts. Probably better that we come in later anyway when the standard has improved and there is people who actually want to watch the games.

Yeah agree. The only thing I am disappointed with from the announcement is the potential sponsorship opportunities it would have opened up. The actual competition itself is going to be a very slow burn and, if established women's football leagues from other codes around the world show, the level of interest will end up leveling out a very long way behind the respective men's competition (not that there is anything wrong with that, just that development of girls playing Aussie rules is a long way behind more established women's sports like tennis, swimming etc.).

******* Collingwood have a National Netball Team, AFL and Women's team, what's next? Soccer?
And in regards to Carlton, we all know what happened when they started their own soccer team and merged the cricket team, they will * it up.

Well it does affect the lives of female footballers, they wouldn't be earning enough of a salary to play only football full-time I would imagine, so for those relocating or having to travel across the state to play it does make a difference.

hence why the competition is short and not a fully fledged season yet....

by your logic, you would rather see a team in NT and TAS than another 2 in victoria right?

what about country victoria? regional WA? dont forget WA is a massive state with some remote areas

Mate, they are in a s**t load of debt and nearly went broke two years ago, just google it!

Defacto theres no point turning over $50 million if your costs are $51 million. The reason North are out of debt is that they adopted the Rod Butters method of downsizing everything whilst slightly growing their revenue, the net result being profits, not big by any stretch of the imagination but something to sell to their member nevertheless.

I'm not doubting there debt situation but they have a lot more hope of getting out of that quicker than us. They have the Pratt and Mathison families for a start. Neither club are going to fold whilst the current AFL administration are in charge but Carton will never fold. Those families will make sure of that. And we still have to add another 6 million to our debt to fix up Moorabbin. As I said there wouldn't be anyone in the AFL industry who would think Carlton are struggling more than us. We can even get our own reserves side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back