Paul Van Der Haar

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

Forget about the rougish tales of pre match smokes and Friday night beers, this bloke went through a bit in his career...

Crashed his motor bike in the summer after year one, was unconscious for a week and layed up in hospital for 2 months with a broken neck and blood clot in the lung... Played round five the next year...

The club tried to out him mid contract in the late 80s, they paid him out, he paid them back and Played for match payments oniy in his last two years..

Got drunk after the 84 gf, tried to find his mates place but ended up in a strange families house having a beer and food before falling asleep on their couch..

First player acquitted of striking for being concyssed at the time

Good watch this, seems a shy bloke. Any other flying Dutchman memories?

I've been meaning to watch this for a while, that was good.
Crazy to think he was paid $100 a game when he started. These days players earn $100 in the time it takes to put their boots on.
It's interesting that having a drink on Friday nights before the game worked best for him.
You wonder how some of these past champions woud go in todays game, or whether they just would bother playing with everything that comes with it.

Saw Vander's play lots of times, he was definitely a crowd favorite, you could pretty much count on at least one screamer a game. And he really stood out with the long blonde hair.

His first half in the 1984 prelim was as good as a player can play. 13 kicks, 9 marks, 4 handballs, 5 goals. Didn't play the second half due to a niggle.

Really talented player whose body let him down a bit. Kicked a huge goal at the MCG against Richmond in the late 70's from about 65 out, apparently it went about 75-80 metres. Broke his leg in the same game..

Was playing superb footy in 86 before breaking his leg, apparently he'd decided to give pre season a decent go for the first time(!).

Painted our swimming pool!

His comeback game from the broken neck was unbelievable, late inclusion , struggled for three quarters then went berserk in the last Q. Beat a very good Richmond side ( No, I'm not trying to be funny)
The crowd that day helped get the team over the line, my grandma and sister were huge Tiger fans and went H&A , they had seats in The Reynolds Stand, always remember my grandma's words after it " Never again"

His comeback game from the broken neck was unbelievable, late inclusion , struggled for three quarters then went berserk in the last Q. Beat a very good Richmond side ( No, I'm not trying to be funny)
The crowd that day helped get the team over the line, my grandma and sister were huge Tiger fans and went H&A , they had seats in The Reynolds Stand, always remember my grandma's words after it " Never again"

Yep - I was in the Reynolds stand that day. I still can remember him doing a double handed tap on to someone who went on to kick a goal...the roof nearly came off.

Guaranteed to take at least one hanger a game. Was a fantastic player. IMO his concussion in the 89 Prelim was the only reason we lost that day.
Dermie perfectly took the focus off the game and on to him alone. All day our guys had nothing to kick towards on the HFF. It lifted the Hawks too.

Loved Vanders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back