Formula One in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Vettel blasts F1 radio rules as "complete bullshit"

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-blasts-f1-radio-rules-as-complete-bullshit-800768/

After reading the article, I totally agree with him
I've said for a while that the manufacturers have made the cars too complex, in particular the options available on the steering wheel. If the cars are so complex that the drivers need to be coached through the settings to fix a problem, then the cars are too complex. It's not like the drivers can pull out the manual and go through it whilst they are racing. I don't see anything wrong with the car having to go into the pits to fix a problem, it's been a part of motor racing since the inception of racing. Races would be much more unpredictable if the cars weren't 100% reliable, and the cars aren't 100% reliable, it's just the teams have too many options to fix the cars whilst they are still racing. If the driver can do it on their own, good on them, but if they can't, head into the pits and get the problem fixed there.

I've said for a while that the manufacturers have made the cars too complex, in particular the options available on the steering wheel. If the cars are so complex that the drivers need to be coached through the settings to fix a problem, then the cars are too complex. It's not like the drivers can pull out the manual and go through it whilst they are racing. I don't see anything wrong with the car having to go into the pits to fix a problem, it's been a part of motor racing since the inception of racing. Races would be much more unpredictable if the cars weren't 100% reliable, and the cars aren't 100% reliable, it's just the teams have too many options to fix the cars whilst they are still racing. If the driver can do it on their own, good on them, but if they can't, head into the pits and get the problem fixed there.
forumla-1-car-wheel1.jpg

That's now 4 races where Hamilton has made a driving error and it hasn't cost him anything, going on to win the race. Monaco, Britain and Hungary he left the track and didn't lose any position and barely any time. Canada, he loses control and punts Rosberg off.

This is what shits me about current F1/motorsport. The run-off is so generous it allows for a lower standard of driving. There's no "natural justice". Comparing it to cricket. I'd say Hamilton, Vettel, and even Verstappen are "flat track bullies".

On top of that. So far, he's had less mechanical issues than Rosberg. While it may look a continuation of 14-15, I don't think he's a worthy champ this year if he wins it.

Hamilton is racing within the rules. What else is he or anyone else supposed to do? His mistakes have not been as bad as Rosberg's (punting your teammate and breaking your own front wing in the process) and they're not miles apart on the mechanical issues either.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Kyvat will not be having a car for next season according to russian news
Unsurprising, but jeez...from driving for Red Bull to off the grid in two years. Massive fall from grace. Total guess, but that would surely be close to unprecedented?

Unsurprising, but jeez...from driving for Red Bull to off the grid in two years. Massive fall from grace. Total guess, but that would surely be close to unprecedented?
K-Magg went from McLaren to off the grid in 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

K-Magg went from McLaren to off the grid in 12 months.
I'm meaning in terms of going from one of the top teams to out of the sport - McLaren were still a midfield team in KMag's year with them weren't they? Although I suppose you could make an argument that they weren't far off RB's '15.

Nelson Piquet jr i guess.

Pastor Maldonado went form being a meh driver to crashtor very fast as well

To be brutally honest unlike a Kimi, Kyvat doesn't have enough ability to get away his complete lack of personality. He's still only 22 though so maybe he can come back like a Hulk or Grosjean.

Last edited:
sigh....

Drivers and teams will be able to freely communicate during races once more after the Strategy Group voted in favour of loosening the controversial radio rules.

New for 2016, teams would be restricted as to what they can inform a driver during races in an effort to delegate more responsibility behind the wheel.

However, disputes would arise in the wake of a Nico Rosberg controversy when he was punished with a time penalty at the British Grand Prix after Mercedes informed him of how to fix a potential gearbox issue.

Leading to a tightening of the rules in Hungary to prevent 'interpretation' of the wide-ranging rules, the move was criticised further when Jenson Button received a drive-through penalty after also told how to fix a hydraulics issue.

As a result, the Strategy Group has opted to drop most of the restrictions altogether to 'provide improved content for fans and spectators'

“At the request of the Teams and Commercial Rights Holder, the FIA has agreed to adopt a more liberal approach to the interpretations of Article 27.1 (that a driver must drive the car “alone and unaided”).

“With the exception of the period between the start of the formation lap and the start of the race, there will be no limitations on messages teams send to their drivers either by radio or pit board.

“This approach is aimed at providing improved content for fans and spectators, as teams will now be required to provide the Commercial Rights Holder with unrestricted access to their radio messages at all times that their cars are out of the garage.”

Drivers will still not be able to receive instructions over clutch controls at the start, as per regulations introduced from the 2015 Belgian Grand Prix.

It's fair enough. They either say what they want, or cannot say anything at all. It was too hard to regulate for no benefit other than enhancing the viewing experience for dopey fans.
Yup, coaching the drivers for the enhanced viewing experience - o_O

How do you define dopey fans?
The people who think the race was great because Lewis got his knickers in a knot over whether or not he should be in engine mode 4 or 5....

actually it's those people who can't wait for the inevitable "hammer time" pit order

Remove this Banner Ad

Back