Remember when...

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when supporters didn't turn on their captain with such venom when times were tough.

I remember when captains set the best example possible behind closed doors (Y)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bernie Quinlan reached the ton in 1983 and 1984?

Also ... when football was old school and real.

And his 'bronzed boots' from 1983!

DuekicT.jpg

And his 'bronzed boots' from 1983!

DuekicT.jpg

I wonder what is happening with Bernie these days? I haven't seen him in the media for ages, and he never seems to go to any Fitzroy or Lions functions. I know things at Fitzroy didn't end great and there may have been some issue with the merger with the money he was owed to pay out his coaching contract. There was also the tragic loss of his daughter.

It would be great for the Club to get him back involved and bury any past animosities. He was just such a huge draw-card for a generation of Fitzroy supporters and footy supporters in general. In fact he was my first ever favourite player when I was very young.

I wish Mike Sheahan would get him on to do an Open Mike segment with him as well. The one he did with Micky Conlan was great. Speaking of which, I was just Googling Bernie on the net an I found a mini Open Mike that was done with Bernie after Robert Flower's funeral a couple of years ago - it is about Flower, but with some really good annecdotes from Superboot. I never realised they were such good friends.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video...rvice-mike-sheahan-and-bernie-quinlan-tribute

Remember when he was old and slow and Walls used to start Merret on the bench and then 5 or ten minutes into the first Quarter, big Rog would stand up and start a loping run down towards the goals and all of the opposition plastic hard men who had been getting into the ribs of our smalls would start bricking it and every kid at the Gabba would start screaming like Santa had arrived.

..people ALWAYS cared about correct grammar......was number one priority taught at schools.

To this day I might start a sentence with "Can I have" ... pause ... then start again with "May I have" which does confuse people occasionally.

Sorry I meant

2 ths dai eye mite start a sentance with 'kan eye hav' ... paws ... then start agen wif 'ma eye hav' witch dos konfuze peple accazonale.

You'd get more than 20 seconds of football without another fricken stoppage.

Less congestion and stoppages in general, but watching some of the games from the '80's on Fox Footy - umpires were unbelievably quick to call a ball up in those days (virtually as soon as the ball was half held up in dispute on the ground). These days they sometimes leave a rolling maul for 10 seconds+.

Umps in those days were also much more likely to pay a mark for virtually any half decent attempt (almost little league style); they also used to pay holding the ball much more often (not sure the concept of prior opportunity even existed back then).

I wonder what is happening with Bernie these days? I haven't seen him in the media for ages, and he never seems to go to any Fitzroy or Lions functions. I know things at Fitzroy didn't end great and there may have been some issue with the merger with the money he was owed to pay out his coaching contract. There was also the tragic loss of his daughter.

It would be great for the Club to get him back involved and bury any past animosities. He was just such a huge draw-card for a generation of Fitzroy supporters and footy supporters in general. In fact he was my first ever favourite player when I was very young.

I wish Mike Sheahan would get him on to do an Open Mike segment with him as well. The one he did with Micky Conlan was great. Speaking of which, I was just Googling Bernie on the net an I found a mini Open Mike that was done with Bernie after Robert Flower's funeral a couple of years ago - it is about Flower, but with some really good annecdotes from Superboot. I never realised they were such good friends.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video...rvice-mike-sheahan-and-bernie-quinlan-tribute

I found myself just the other day thinking i haven't heard much about Bernie Quinlan. I always hope i will cross paths with him one day at the shops and get to shake his hand and thank him for everything he did for Fitzroy. I hope he is healthy and still following the Lions closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back