Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

how about the whole thing about selling out to the commission rather than the clubs owning the pieces of Wavery ect
Was a very good point that I have not heard before. Also had some interesting views on Fitzroy. He is as mad as a bag of cats yet still rises important issues that others don't.

I don't know what I am more confused by Fremantle having a keen interest in Brad Hill or the notion that it should be hard to strike a deal.

I would have thought that Freo's third round pick would be ample compensation.

Hill is an exceedingly average player.

Who stays in a top side that is very particular about blokes playing a role and doing their bit when needed. Has not been dropped all that often. You see exceedingly average, they see a bloke who is doing what they ask week in and week out and they seem to be getting it right as they are shooting for 4 in a row. Replaceable yes. Very good player, you could argue no. Under rated, IMO yes by most.

VETERAN footy scribe Mike Sheahan has revealed his volatile interview with controversial AFL great Mark “Jacko” Jackson was a trainwreck for the entire 40 minutes.

The host of Fox Footy’s Open Mike revealed further details of his extraordinary interview with the outspoken former Melbourne, St Kilda and Geelong star in an interview with SEN radio on Monday.

Sheahan said Jackson became abusive towards him as soon as filming started on Thursday.

Sheahan has now revealed how close the interview, which will be screened unedited on Fox Footy on Tuesday night, came to blowing up.

The former Herald Sun footy journalist said he and Jackson had particular friction over an insinuation the TV host had played a part in the untimely death of Jackson’s father George.

“He said that he hated me,” Sheahan told SEN.

“That no one in football liked or respected me. And it just went on from there.

“I tried several times to argue this with him. His father died after that tribunal hearing in which he got eight weeks. Remember, from that Geelong-Hawthorn game in 1985? And he sort of loosely attributed some of the blame to me for that. But, I know I’ve seen a story quoting Jacko and Jacko said that the 40 cigarettes and 20 beers per day were probably a major factor.

“He did insinuate that though. And I didn’t like that at all because I didn’t want to think I’d contributed at all to the demise of someone.”

Sheahan says the interview threatened to fall of the rails and he had to be told by producers to keep his cool and not rise to Jackson’s level of aggression.

He admits he got more than a little nervous at the end of the interview when Jackson raised his first towards him after he had completed his sign off to the camera.

“I said ‘look, I haven’t enjoyed this, Jacko’ and then he just looked at me,” Sheahan said.

“And the he just sort of put his fist up which is apparently the new salute, you put your fist up and you knock knuckles. When his fist was on the way up I was a bit unnerved.

“I don’t really know Jacko. The point is Jacko was there on an invitation from Fox because it’s retro round and he was probably as big a face as there was in football during the 1980s. That’s how it started.”

He said Jackson’s anger certainly appeared genuine.

“He was too angry for that,” he said.

“This wasn’t mock anger. This was genuine. Towards the game largely and certainly towards the AFL and I think to the fourth estate. I don’t think there was anyone in the media that would get a tick from Jacko. The odd thing is, he’s probably generating a living now out of all the publicity that was generated by the media.”

Jackson famously had a brief acting career in the United States, appearing in police drama The Highwayman.

Jackson now lives on the Gold Coast but travels Australia on the public speaking circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was great viewing. It was definitely refreshing to hear unrestrained negative views of the AFL/media system. I don't agree with most of what he said (he is narrow-minded and self-absorbed in his perspective), and he is a complete knucklehead, but it it is the mere fact that he was able to have that forum at all that had me engrossed. His indifference to the image-machine that is AFL/media is where I felt a kinship. The 'toilet-trained' media have become the main event for most of the week and it gives them an undeserved pedestal to preach from. I do have admiration for Sheehan though as he was willing to give Jacko a soapbox to the utter detriment of Sheehan's own ego and yet he kept a level-head throughout. Kudos.

Harvey's books stuff, why do you think they put that in?

For the press, for you guys to even comment on it. They line up the newspaper 'exclusives' way in advance, and leave anything in unless they think they'll get sued and lose.

Otherwise no one even knows about these books existing, much less buys them.

The Western Bulldogs. The way they're carrying on about these injuries. * me dead. "I'll never forget what the rooms were like" * off Bob. Carrying on like you're the first club in history to suffer more than one bad injury in a game before. Ffs. This victim mentality is probably why they've never achieved anything.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i'm with ya NoName.

The way they have been talking it's like they watched their mate die in their arms. Don't remember Freo sending obituaries out after Barlow broke his leg.

Who stays in a top side that is very particular about blokes playing a role and doing their bit when needed. Has not been dropped all that often. You see exceedingly average, they see a bloke who is doing what they ask week in and week out and they seem to be getting it right as they are shooting for 4 in a row. Replaceable yes. Very good player, you could argue no. Under rated, IMO yes by most.

Being able to play a role in a premiership, and even a dynasty, is not the same as being a good player that another club ought to invest in.

Heffernan, Blumfield and Caracella are three close to our hearts who were at sea outside of the premiership system they were part of. Heath Shaw is the only Collingwood player at this stage that has been worth the investment by clubs who took on their premiership players.

Hell, Craig Bird was averaging about 22 games a year for Sydney between 2011 and 2014 and he is horrible (if everything goes to plan he won't play a game next year and might even struggle to be on the list in 2018).

In reality Hawthorn is so much greater than the sum of its part that it isn't funny. Hill is the equivalent of Bird in the sense that he is a very specific role player (who uses his extraordinary running capacity as a link player through the middle) though he probably has more transferable skills which are relevant to what Freo needs (that what we needed when we signed Bird).

It goes to show that being able to develop a system is even more important than having amazing players but that's not a reason that Brad Hill suddenly becomes worth something he is not. The highest pick I'd give up for Hill would about 35. His brother is probably worth pick 10, if we are comparing the two 35 for Brad is generous.

Last edited:
Being able to play a role in a premiership, and even a dynasty, is not the same as being a good player that another club ought to invest in.

Heffernan, Blumfield and Caracella are three close to our hearts who were at sea outside of the premiership system they were part of. Heath Shaw is the only Collingwood player at this stage that has been worth the investment by clubs who took on their premiership players.

Hell, Craig Bird was averaging about 22 games a year for Sydney between 2011 and 2014 and he is horrible (if everything goes to plan he won't play a game next year and might even struggle to be on the list in 2018).

In reality Hawthorn is so much greater than the sum of its part that it isn't funny. Hill is the equivalent of Bird in the sense that he is a very specific role player (who uses his extraordinary running capacity as a link player through the middle) though he probably has more transferable skills which are relevant to what Freo needs (that what we needed when we signed Bird).

It goes to show that being able to develop a system is even more important than having amazing players but that's not a reason that Brad Hill suddenly becomes worth something he is not. The highest pick I'd give up for Hill would about 35. His brother is probably worth pick 10, if we are comparing the two 35 for Brad is generous.

Its also not true that a player becomes trash outside that System.

You are also being way to harsh on Bird. He is a limited player yes, but he has had no pre season and is playing in an absolute rabble of a team. Far to harsh on him considering he has shown some pretty good form lately with some continuity.

Why isn't he wearing his 427 jumper?

Missed promo opportunity there. Need to lift.

Because that would be in poor taste.

*wipes arse with commemorative 'Harvey 427' toilet paper*

Harvey's 427th should've been last week so the two campaigners could share the same round for their respective milestones. They have no business sharing it with Bartel, Enright and Pav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back