NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of trivia from the NEAFL Posting board...

NEAFL 2014 had 129357 views
NEAFL 2015 had 73160 views
NEAFL 2016 so far has had 19563.

Someone tells me what this means.
Maybe has something to do with it going from a discussion forum to a single tipping thread ?? There is barely another relevant thread on the board, and this thread rarely generates a discussion point. Not sure that truly reflects the NEAFL competition, but I think it explains the figures you posted.

I Just Woke from a very big lost Friday, Friday night and most of Saturday morning. I was waiting for the team sheets before submitting my tips, Hardy, ha.

Justa, I have to be honest, the lure of a free trip away to the Coast from Caboolture took over (we dont get out much too often) and I forgot my tips this week, I have no excuses for this except for bigger prioritories, as the NEAFL (like most) footy tipping comp is not my first and foremost of those prioritories, but looking back on the current result to date, it seems like no damage done, I think!!!!! I was not sure of the Redland V Gold Coast game so I will let fate be the quide and the Judge of this game - who knows this week I may pick the card without having to use my intelligence (stop it you non beilevers I have some somewhere at least when my brain cells recover).

Last edited:
Maybe has something to do with it going from a discussion forum to a single tipping thread ?? There is barely another relevant thread on the board, and this thread rarely generates a discussion point. Not sure that truly reflects the NEAFL competition, but I think it explains the figures you posted.

Justa and Pea Nut,

Stop being a pair of kill joys by pointing out the bleeding obvious, where else can you put Shite on your fellow rival club supporter under the Glasses and Moustached disquise of a computer keyboard and have a laugh about it, the forum offered here is for open discussion about all things NEAFL - As Garlic muncher pointed out in a recent post - We have come a long way since the NEAFL concept was first designed and we still have a long way to go, this to be worthy and accepted as a true competition equall to the other State League Competitions around the Country, we are chipping away ever so slowly at this, but with this - eventually the more chipping the mountain will crumble and we will be on somewhere near a level playing field with these other State Competitions - Draft picks determine this leveling and we are holding our own (thanks now to the work put in from Mark Browning and his staff), even without a TAC Cup Competition or the like to pick out any ever perfoming elite players from!!!!!!! IMO the NEAFL has fitted the purpose of exposing the kids and mature age players capable of playing the recently described Mark Jackson's version of the new soft Netball type AFL Game now accepted, played by athletes who should be more worthy considered for the Olympics!!!!!!!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was at Manuka last night to see a bloody good game of football....much more enthralling than the rubbish Richmond served up earlier in the day!
As has been the case several times this year the young Demons show glimpses of why I believe they will be a very strong team in the Neafl quickly and moved out to a comfortable 5 or 6 goal lead by half time. they have some dash, some developing young players and an aggressive game style that (IMO) is attractive to watch. they have just been unable to produce it/sustain it for entire games.
NT were always going to come out firing after halftime. they certainly looked flat in the 1st half. 7 unanswered goals gave me a strong sense of deja vu!
however, the last quarter was a beauty.....NT poise and class to edge in front but the Demons definitely slowing their momentum and kicking a couple of goals to keep in touch.
It was not until the 32min of the last quarter (i thought Dees were gone i admit!) that they scrambled a goal to put themselves a point up! another set shot a minute later saw them win by 7. gutsy....and certainly the best win by the club. the boys belted out the song!!!

most impressive to see the Thunder boys all come back to the pub afterwards for beer. Both X and R Clarkes were most impressive....note that Raph failed a fitness test before the game and didnt play......precautionary with finals coming up they said. Liam Patrick and Vea Vea ripper blokes.

It's quite a shock to see your Canberra team win like that - as you say, it bodes well for the future.
My theory was that the Thunder would freeze their nuts off playing night footy in Canberra - I was there a week ago and the temp got down to minus 4. Which must be bloody cold if you have flown in from Darwin.
The Thunder boys probably went back to the pub for a beer because they heard that it was WARM in there !

Ally, give us an estimate of how many spectators braved the cold night air to watch the match.

Last edited:
NEAFL TIPPING COMP - after week 18
Ally Craft................................................55...1..........56
Chikka Ferguson.....................................55...1...........56
getgaff...................................................53....2(x).....55
Stuyd1...................................................53....1..........54
Billybunter.............................................52....2(x).....54
justabaraker..........................................52.....1.........53
peanut...................................................52...1..........53
ravenxau...............................................50....1.........51

Congrats to our two 'Steven Bradburys' who got two points for not even turning up ! The rest of us got one (but I reckon we are excused because, hey, who would have tipped the results right anyway )

ROUND 19

Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions
GC Suns v Giants
Aspley v Canberra
Sydney Uni v Southport

My tips:-
Swans
Giants
Aspley
Sydney Uni

RED ALERT - THE SWANS V LIONS MATCH IS PLAYED AT 10.05am SATURDAY

I found out the answer for myself:-

............"In 2017 the Canberra Demons will have a playing or non-playing part time coach and that this role will stand apart from the Eastlake AFL Canberra program.

Current full time Playing Coach, Ben Waite completes his current contract at the end of season 2016 and the Canberra Demons will go to the market shortly to secure a coach for 2017.

The Canberra Demons wish to thank Ben for his services over the past two years, both on and off the field, and we wish Ben well in his future football endeavours............."

I think they are saying that the NEAFL coaching job has been downgraded to part-time, and has been separated from the Eastlake club.
The outgoing coach is quoted as saying,
"Unfortunately [my program is] not seen as the direction the club wanted to go and they wanted to start something else so good luck to them."

Last edited:
I found out the answer for myself:-

............"In 2017 the Canberra Demons will have a playing or non-playing part time coach and that this role will stand apart from the Eastlake AFL Canberra program.

Current full time Playing Coach, Ben Waite completes his current contract at the end of season 2016 and the Canberra Demons will go to the market shortly to secure a coach for 2017.

The Canberra Demons wish to thank Ben for his services over the past two years, both on and off the field, and we wish Ben well in his future football endeavours............."

I think they are saying that the NEAFL coaching job has been downgraded to part-time, and has been separated from the Eastlake club.
The outgoing coach is quoted as saying,
"Unfortunately [my program is] not seen as the direction the club wanted to go and they wanted to start something else so good luck to them."
maybe 100 odd watched the game at Manuka sat night....thanks for nothing AFL and AFL Canberra for your zero promotion of the game! Once again i ask why these games cant be curtain raisers?

Regarding Demons its now public knowledge that the coach has been let go. All the coaching staff have been told basically the same thing.
Demons board, headed by the respected(rightly so) Brian Quade, are making a clear separation from Eastlake at Neafl level and want clean air to do it.
i can understand the decision. Waite has done some good things as coach. However, he came to ACT 2 years ago to play for Ainslie, ended up applying for and getting the job as senior playing coach at Eastlake and that contract carried on through this year. He has only managed 6 games in 2 years so far.
he is paid a LOT of money. he has had little if any coaching experience prior to Eastlake.
i believe that Demons will go for a non=playing coach, but in saying that Sam Reid GWS or McVeigh swans or Scott Thompson crows would be getting phone calls!
They will also chase hard for a marquee player.
from what i hear the board is united and they want to build a team quickly that will be successful. good things ahead i reckon

...i can understand the decision. Waite has done some good things as coach. However, he came to ACT 2 years ago to play for Ainslie, ended up applying for and getting the job as senior playing coach at Eastlake and that contract carried on through this year. He has only managed 6 games in 2 years so far.
he is paid a LOT of money. he has had little if any coaching experience prior to Eastlake.
..............from what i hear the board is united and they want to build a team quickly that will be successful. good things ahead i reckon
Wow, quite an embarrassment for whoever signed him on in the first place ! I think the previous coach was Anthony Bourke and that he was unceremoniously dumped mid-season too.
Could it be that the selection panel is at fault ?

Last edited:
Wow, quite an embarrassment for whoever signed him on in the first place ! I think the previous coach was Anthony Bourke and that he was unceremoniously dumped mid-season too.
Could it be that the selection panel is at fault ?
im not aligned with any Canberra club JB so i cant be sure but.....i tend to agree with you. my research on Waite is that hes only played around 60 games in the VFL over the previous 10 years as well. Maybe that suggests that he wasnt going to get on the park that often?
its a shame because as a player he would have been exactly what Demons have needed....bigger body, older head and key forward. Ah well.....!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back