List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just thinking about what if we traded our first rounder next year for GWS's best first rounder this year, throw in some extra points/picks (eg our third and fourth) and make McCarthy part of the deal. We could end up with pick 3 (for SPS/McCluggage) and a later pick to use on Marshall/English/Rotham, plus we get McCarthy and use any picks we get for compensation/trades on other needs and possibly even Hill if that's a viable option.

I know for those with dreams of Hogan it means we have no 1st rounder next year but we can't use both the 2017 & 2018 1st rounders anyway because you need to use 2 in the draft every 4 years. But given we'd use 2 this year (I think they both count), then we should be able to use both the 2018 & 2019 1st rounders on player trades if we wanted. Just a thought I'd throw out there...

If next year is rated as a better draft crop, it wouldn't make sense to trade out of it - we'd simply be in the same position we're in now with no second round pick

If next year is rated as a better draft crop, it wouldn't make sense to trade out of it - we'd simply be in the same position we're in now with no second round pick
Better draft crop normally means a deeper draft, it doesn't necessarily mean better quality at the top end. And apparently the last draft was a weak one but there seems to be a lot of players doing very well in the AFL already from that draft. I don't buy in to the weak vs strong draft crap personally - I've rarely seen it end up accurate. However there will should be more (and possibly better) KPP prospects in next year's draft and I'd be more inclined to keep our future first as well but if we really rated English for instance, then this would be a way of filling three of our needs in just one draft (quality ruck/kpd - English, classy skills - SPS/etc, KPF - McCarthy).

Taking a player in the top five doesn't make them a top five player, or push their talent up at all. If the best key forward sits behind Luke Hodge, Chris Judd, Gary Abblett and Nathan Fyfe then pick the mid.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a house and land package to live in a shed.

Potential elite talent outweighs even guaranteed B grade key position in my opinion.

Taking a player in the top five doesn't make them a top five player, or push their talent up at all. If the best key forward sits behind Luke Hodge, Chris Judd, Gary Abblett and Nathan Fyfe then pick the mid.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a house and land package to live in a shed.

Potential elite talent outweighs even guaranteed B grade key position in my

No one is talking about taking a "B grade" talent, as far as one can judge what that is at this stage; the relative talent at the top end appears very even. There has been no no outstanding player.

At any rate you very rarely know that those players are going to be the players they end up being. Take the Fyfe example; in his year - he was an inbetween player playing of a forward flank, 187cm, not many possessions and a handful of goals (apart from a single colts game where he had a haul of 9 goals). However the skills and some athleticism was there. Compare that to Morabito averaging over 25 possessions a game playing midfield, pace and agility was on display, kicking was long and good. To pick Fyfe over Morabito you have to weigh the potential at that point higher than what has been done to that point (the achievements). Which recruiters often do. In fact past achievement ends up often being a factor in terms of reliability of outcome.

IMO Marshall and English definitely have as much potential to become elite players as Petrevski-Seton or Mcluggage. The difference is that the latter arguably have more achievements on the board and hence may be perceived to be less risky.

Better draft crop normally means a deeper draft, it doesn't necessarily mean better quality at the top end. And apparently the last draft was a weak one but there seems to be a lot of players doing very well in the AFL already from that draft. I don't buy in to the weak vs strong draft crap personally - I've rarely seen it end up accurate. However there will should be more (and possibly better) KPP prospects in next year's draft and I'd be more inclined to keep our future first as well but if we really rated English for instance, then this would be a way of filling three of our needs in just one draft (quality ruck/kpd - English, classy skills - SPS/etc, KPF - McCarthy).

I agree - remember the super draft with Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen? Best forward out of that lot was Riewoldt of the Richmond variety and Gibbs didn't really live up to the hype.

in terms of talls next year there are two likely to be at the "top end"; one that looms as a top 3 pick (Sam Hayes) if he can continue his his trajectory, the other (Ballenden) is a Brisbane academy pick. Personally I can't see us having a pick close to Hayes and if we do well it would have confirmed which creek we are in.

No one is talking about taking a "B grade" talent, as far as one can judge what that is at this stage; the relative talent at the top end appears very even. There has been no no outstanding player.

At any rate you very rarely know that those players are going to be the players they end up being. Take the Fyfe example; in his year - he was an inbetween player playing of a forward flank, 187cm, not many possessions and a handful of goals (apart from a single colts game where he had a haul of 9 goals). However the skills and some athleticism was there. Compare that to Morabito averaging over 25 possessions a game playing midfield, pace and agility was on display, kicking was long and good. To pick Fyfe over Morabito you have to weigh the potential at that point higher than what has been done to that point (the achievements). Which recruiters often do. In fact past achievement ends up often being a factor in terms of reliability of outcome.

IMO Marshall and English definitely have as much potential to become elite players as Petrevski-Seton or Mcluggage. The difference is that the latter arguably have more achievements on the board and hence may be perceived to be less risky.
As someone else said on here, better to play it safe with a top ten pick, bank it, then get more adventurous, which has paid
off enormously in the past for us, with Fyfe, Neale, A Pearce.
Polak was the last Tall we reached for, the issue I had at the time was the price we paid hawks 1,20, 36, the year before
we had done a similar deal for Bell.
If we really want to use that pick on a Tall, we should try to turn pick 3 into two picks, or just get the Tall in McCarthy.

Those two talls weren't the ones I was thinking of when I wrote my post. I'm comfortable selecting any top five player with our third pick, I just don't want anybody pretending that more later picks are going to make up for the loss of a chance at elite talent at the top.

Taking guys who should be outside the top ten with our top five pick to fill a need will shoot ourselves in the foot.

It is my belief that we should take the risk on the potential elite player at #3 even if we are guaranteed a guy we could take at pick #18 would turn into a B grader.

Our side is full of B graders already, we need better if we hope to improve.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

What a shame they didn't pull the trigger completely and then we could possibly have claimed SPS as an academy pick. No doubt that's the main reason the AFL didn't. Hope our recruiters have been up North finding lots of hidden talent - adding some classy category B rookies from our own backyard will be helpful for our cause if any of them are > 190cm and showing an inkling of AFL quality :)

Yep should a mad exodus of assistant coaches out to the Kimberley about now to quickly find some talent for this year and also quickly scanning the WAFL/colts for Asian/African players about now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to boxing I have two rules:

Rule no. 1: Never lead with your nose.
Rule no. 2: Never bet on the white guy.

When it comes to trading I have two golden rules:

Rule no. 1: Never trade a top 5 pick.
Rule no. 2: See Rule no. 1.

Jeremy Goddard has had 98 hit outs in two games of wafl reserves, would have to be looked at
in the 4th round. rookie?
Also Luke Strnadica stats for marking this year is similar to last year in colts, goals are way
down, does this mean he is playing further up the ground?

So...

Richmond

The club will also look at bolstering the ruck department, and have been rumoured to be interested in Tom Downie and Zac Clarke. Another player who has popped up recently is West Coast youngster Tom Lamb, who is certain to request a trade home. Possible swap with Reece Conca?

Gold Coast
The Suns will be content going to the draft and securing some talented young players and could get some quality picks in if O’Meara and Prestia walk out on the club. There are inklings the club is interested in bringing in Chris Mayne in what would be a good move for both clubs. Not much else beckons for the Suns this off-season.

Port Adelaide
Not much going on at Alberton but the Power could look to bolster the key defensive stocks and also try and lure a mid-sized forward. Chris Mayne could be on that the Power target as a free agent, as well as Crows utility Ricky Henderson, who has struggled to break into Don Pyke’s 22.

All sounds good until you realise the ridiculousness of the article when you read this one...

Greater Western Sydney
Have been heavily linked in a trade for Michael Walters that would involve Cam McCarthy. Apart from Walters, the Giants will load up on Academy players at the draft.

And then, other than McCarthy, I'd be surprised about the rest of our write-up also...

Fremantle
Key Forwards are the priority for the Dockers and will do everything in its power to secure Cam McCarthy. The Dockers may also bring in talented forward Shane Kersten from the Cats and Hawks wingman Bradley Hill.

If the Dockers are adventurous enough it can still retain a first round draft selection and bring in this trio. There are also rumours that Rory Lobb could be heading back to WA, and the Dockers would be first in line.

Full article: http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/27/club-needs-target-off-season/ - otherwise known as a random matching of those out-of-contract players to clubs with those gaps to fill.

So...

Richmond

The club will also look at bolstering the ruck department, and have been rumoured to be interested in Tom Downie and Zac Clarke. Another player who has popped up recently is West Coast youngster Tom Lamb, who is certain to request a trade home. Possible swap with Reece Conca?

Gold Coast
The Suns will be content going to the draft and securing some talented young players and could get some quality picks in if O’Meara and Prestia walk out on the club. There are inklings the club is interested in bringing in Chris Mayne in what would be a good move for both clubs. Not much else beckons for the Suns this off-season.

Port Adelaide
Not much going on at Alberton but the Power could look to bolster the key defensive stocks and also try and lure a mid-sized forward. Chris Mayne could be on that the Power target as a free agent, as well as Crows utility Ricky Henderson, who has struggled to break into Don Pyke’s 22.

All sounds good until you realise the ridiculousness of the article when you read this one...

Greater Western Sydney
Have been heavily linked in a trade for Michael Walters that would involve Cam McCarthy. Apart from Walters, the Giants will load up on Academy players at the draft.

And then, other than McCarthy, I'd be surprised about the rest of our write-up also...

Fremantle
Key Forwards are the priority for the Dockers and will do everything in its power to secure Cam McCarthy. The Dockers may also bring in talented forward Shane Kersten from the Cats and Hawks wingman Bradley Hill.

If the Dockers are adventurous enough it can still retain a first round draft selection and bring in this trio. There are also rumours that Rory Lobb could be heading back to WA, and the Dockers would be first in line.

Full article: http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/27/club-needs-target-off-season/ - otherwise known as a random matching of those out-of-contract players to clubs with those gaps to fill.

Your right. You begin reading with a bit of interest and then they mention GWS and Walters and you just know it is just made up tripe.

Why vick? Go to draft we are not in premiership mode . Sometimes getting ready made players will hidden a rebuild look at tiger neither here or there .if he is 22 maybe i considered. Stradica , goddard or some young ruck is worth more, freo still need to negotiate with fyfe contract next year no need to waste money on vick, i believe brad hill salary wont come cheap also.
Theres a justifiable reason to get vickery. One reason is he in his prime. Also sandi and griffin will be gone. Strnadica and Darcy cameron wouldnt be a bad pick up. But we need depth in all areas.

If on the snowballs chance in hell Walters is included in any trade for McCarthy I'm done. Membership handed in and **** right off...

Yep seems bizarre that it's being reported in the media. Walters surely would genuinely be one of the last to leave Freo. WA boy, young family, owes Ross with his come back. Seems dumb to report even if it's what GWS want.

That all said teams lose stars. Could GWS be putting forward a hard to refuse offer?
I mean McCarthy and pick 8 for Walters is hard to ignore and anything higher can't be sneezed at.

It pisses me off that the only thing necessary to start rampant speculation and media pressure on a player is for a journalist to invent a bullshit trade theory in an article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back