ljamest36

Debutant
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
5. Micheal Voss (2002)
-Buckley deserved his medal, but they could have awarded it to Micheal Voss. Basically if I was watching it in 2002 I would have been content with Voss winning, but I also would have been content with Buckley winning, so this decision doesn't bother me Voss just played a ripper too.

4. Matthew Scarlett (2007)
-Sometimes the judges will vote for whoever would have the best story as a norm smith medal, someone who would be good material for a documentary for example. Although Steve Johnson was good (I don't think anyone wearing blue and white actually played badly that day) I don't think he was the best on ground. To me it was the fact that he looked like moving clubs at one point because he was such a problem child but he managed to turn it around, not because he was the BOG.

3. Dan Hanneberry (2012)
-O'Keefe was good, but bloody hell Hanneberry was the clear stand out for me. I often watch the 2012 grand final over and over (because it's a bloody good watch) and I shake my head everytime Hanneberry does something sensational, knowing he didn't win the medal, but I guess in the end every player only really wants the premiership medallion.

2. Stuart Dew (2008)
If you don't know what I'm on about, you just haven't watched the '08 grand final, he had pivotal moment after pivotal moment, he was involved in almost all of Hawthorn's 3rd quarter goals (either kicking them or setting them up) and that was the quarter that actually won it for the Hawks. Hodge in 2014 was my clear BOG, but not in 2008, again the story is mainly is what sealed the Norm Smith for Luke, who was suffering from broken ribs and managed to put together an inspirational performance in front of over 100,000 people...But Dew was better.

1. Brendon Goddard (1st 2010 GF)
-Don't get me wrong, Lenny was pretty bloody good, so was Goddard however. By far the best performance for no medal.

Last edited:

5. Micheal Voss (2002)
-Buckley deserved his medal, but they could have awarded it to Micheal Voss. Basically if I was watching it in 2002 I would have been content with Voss winning, but I also would have been content with Buckley winning, so this decision doesn't bother me Voss just played a ripper too.

-Sometimes the judges will vote for whoever would have the best story as a norm smith medal, someone who would be good material for a documentary for example. Although Steve Johnson was good (I don't think anyone wearing blue and white actually played badly that day) I don't think he was the best on ground. To me it was the fact that he looked like moving clubs at one point because he was such a problem child but he managed to turn it around, not because he was the BOG.

3. Dan Hanneberry (2012)
-O'Keefe was good, but bloody hell Hanneberry was the clear stand out for me. I often watch the 2012 grand final over and over (because it's a bloody good watch) and I shake my head everytime Hanneberry does something sensational, knowing he didn't win the medal, but I guess in the end every player only really wants the premiership medallion.

2. Stuart Dew (2008)
If you don't know what I'm on about, you just haven't watched the '08 grand final, he had pivotal moment after pivotal moment, he was involved in almost all of Hawthorn's 3rd quarter goals (either kicking them or setting them up) and that was the quarter that actually won it for the Hawks. Hodge in 2014 was my clear BOG, but not in 2008, again the story is mainly is what sealed the Norm Smith for Luke, who was suffering from broken ribs and managed to put together an inspirational performance in front of over 100,000 people...But Dew was better.

-Don't get me wrong, Lenny was pretty bloody good, so was Goddard however. By far the best performance for no medal.

All performances in the last 15 years and 4 of the 5 within a 5 year period? Seems unlikely

It's mainly because before the modern era the best on ground usually actually won the medal.

I think it's because no one was actually old enough to suggest grand finals pre 2000

I think it's because no one was actually old enough to suggest grand finals pre 2000
1979-Wayne Harmes won the game for Carlton BOG
1980-Kevin Bartlett 7 goals BOG
1981-Bruce Doull easy BOG
1982-Maurice Rioli best on ground despite being in the losing team
1983-Colin Robertson along with Kennedy Jr. were pretty good on the day
1984-Billy Duckworth very strong in defence
1985-Simon Madden, one of the best ruckman of all time, need I say more?
1986-Gary Ayres, sorta like an 80's equivalent to Luke Hodge in defence
1987-David Rhys Jones shut down Dermott
1988-Gary Ayres destroyed a woeful Melbourne forward line
1989-Gary Ablett Sr 9 goals
1990-Tony Shaw inspirational performance from the magpie captain
1991-Paul Dear, surprise selection, surprise Norm Smith but certainly deserved it, very agile for a big man.
1992-Peter Matera, ripped Geelong to peaces with 5 goals
1993-Micheal Long, ripped Carlton to peaces, goal was touched though.
1994-Dean Kemp destroyed Geelong, actually watched this Grand Final recently, it was terrible
1995-Greg Williams, Diesel with 5 goals
1996-Glenn Archer have the '96 grand final celebration record "It was a typical Archer game."
1997-Andrew Mcleod unstoppable in defence, Darren Jarman had a case but he only kicked the 5 goals in the last quarter because of Jamie Shanahan being incorrectly placed on him.
1998-Again Andrew Mcleod unstoppable in defence, Hart was pretty good though.
1999-Shannon Grant, I think Peter Bell probably could've won it.

1. The 97 grand final is my favourite grand final and I watched it 20 times over and I can say with 100% certainty that Darren Jarman should go down to his local police station and file for a missing norm smith as it was pure criminal he was not awarded it.

2. Goddard was stiff not get the normy in the 2010 drawn grand final however TAB did give me my money back when the award went to Hayes

3. Voss was brilliant in 02 and I thought he was a touch better then Buckley

4. Stewie Dew's 5 minutes of football in the 3rd quarter of 08 was the best 5 minutes that ever was

5. AKA in 03 was breathtaking 5 goals as a half forward flanker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ablett won the Norm Smith, it's a list for best performances for no Norm Smith.
Ok. No Norm Smith older performances

Brereton 1985 - 8 goals, says it all
Bradley 1987 - 3 goals and usual high possession count thought he was BOG in the heat.
Dipper 1989 - finished as one of Hawks best despite a broken rib & punctured lung that left him in Epworth that night.
Fitzpatrick 1982 - Dominated in the middle and drifting forward.
McKernan 1996 - was at his best that year and better than Archer on the day for basically running Stafford into the ground so he had no influence on the game whilst picking up most possessions for North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. No Norm Smith older performances

Brereton 1985 - 8 goals, says it all
Bradley 1987 - 3 goals and usual high possession count thought he was BOG in the heat.
Dipper 1989 - finished as one of Hawks best despite a broken rib & punctured lung that left him in Epworth that night.
Fitzpatrick 1982 - Dominated in the middle and drifting forward.
McKernan 1996 - was at his best that year and better than Archer on the day for basically running Stafford into the ground so he had no influence on the game whilst picking up most possessions for North

Pretty good :thumbsu: '85 was a 78 point loss so I don't think anyone from a side that lost by 78-points should be awarded BOG, especially when you get reported 3 times. Rhys Jones also kept the same bloke goalless for the entire game in '87, which should mean he gets the Norm Smith if Dermott would have won it in '85.

Dipper was good in '89, couldn't have won it though for obvious reasons, Ablett kept Geelong in the game and without Ablett, Geelong would never have come within 6 points by the final siren.

In 1982 Fitzpatrick was pretty good, however he did play on an injured Moore which always helps. Doull was always going to win though, always played a blinder.

I'll give Mckernan to you because if it wasn't for suspension, it would have been a three way tie between Hird, Voss and Mckernan. You could also argue Glenn Freeborn was worth a mention too.

Pretty good :thumbsu: '85 was a 78 point loss so I don't think anyone from a side that lost by 78-points should be awarded BOG, especially when you get reported 3 times. Rhys Jones also kept the same bloke goalless for the entire game in '87, which should mean he gets the Norm Smith if Dermott would have won it in '85.

Dipper was good in '89, couldn't have won it though for obvious reasons, Ablett kept Geelong in the game and without Ablett, Geelong would never have come within 6 points by the final siren.

In 1982 Fitzpatrick was pretty good, however he did play on an injured Moore which always helps. Doull was always going to win though, always played a blinder.

I'll give Mckernan to you because if it wasn't for suspension, it would have been a three way tie between Hird, Voss and Mckernan. You could also argue Glenn Freeborn was worth a mention too.
1989 Grand Final was a game of two halves, Hawthorn bolted out of the blocks and lead by 40 points at 1/4 time 37 at 1/2 time. Ablett in the first half was pretty quiet, but Dipper was critical in Hawthorn building that lead which meant they could survive the injury toll that Geelong inflicted. Ablett came to life in the final quarter kicking 5 or 6 of this 9 then as Geelong kicked 8 goals to 3 to almost win. Everyone remembers the finish but most seem to forget about what went into building a lead to establish it.

Do you give it to a bloke who really only fired for 1 quarter or the bloke how with broken ribs and a punctured lung was the reason the Hawks built the lead to win?

Whilst Rhys-Jones was a key player that day still think Bradley had a bigger say in the result.

Ablett Jr 2008 - 34 disposals and tried his guts out till the siren, unlike about a dozen or more of his teammates.
Dermott 1985 - 8 goals in a team that got flogged by 14 goals.
Kernahan 1993 - 7 goals in a well beaten side.
Goddard 2010 tie - One of the great halves of footy to drag the Saints right to the brink.

These would have to be the four gold standard examples off the top of my head. Other possibilities might be Mitchell 2014, Sewell 2012, Voss 2002, B Scott 2001 ...

5. Micheal Voss (2002)

3. Dan Hanneberry (2012)

2. Stuart Dew (2008)

With respect - there is now way known Dew was a better player during the 08 Grand Final. Yes, he broke the game open in that third quarter but Hodge was brilliant all day and did not win the medal due to the 'story.' He affected 20-odd F50 entries, kicked a huge goal and was inspirational all day.

Good post otherwise.

Personally, I thought Gavin Wanganeen was robbed of the 2004 Norm Smith by Pickett. 18 possessions and 4 goals that was the difference in the game when the heat was still on.

As a legal gambler for first time in 2012, I studied form guides leading into GF week and had Hannebery at $32 on tab so I pushed mum to take me there so I put $20 on Hannez and never felt so robbed still to this day!

1989 Grand Final was a game of two halves, Hawthorn bolted out of the blocks and lead by 40 points at 1/4 time 37 at 1/2 time. Ablett in the first half was pretty quiet, but Dipper was critical in Hawthorn building that lead which meant they could survive the injury toll that Geelong inflicted. Ablett came to life in the final quarter kicking 5 or 6 of this 9 then as Geelong kicked 8 goals to 3 to almost win. Everyone remembers the finish but most seem to forget about what went into building a lead to establish it.

Do you give it to a bloke who really only fired for 1 quarter or the bloke how with broken ribs and a punctured lung was the reason the Hawks built the lead to win?

Ablett booted 6 goals up until three quarter time.
He would kick three more in the last quarter and have a say in one other by setting up Neville Bruns who goaled 40 out on the run.
He killed Maginness and Hawthorn made the change and put Langford on him in the last quarter. That didn't work either.

DiPierdomenico was very good but Ablett had nearly the same number of possessions plus an extra 8 goals to his name. Arguably the greatest grand final performance of all time.

Whilst Rhys-Jones was a key player that day still think Bradley had a bigger say in the result.

Bloke who kept Geelong in it tbh, Dippa was good but he wasn't that good, no one had a punctured lung like he did but their were plenty of other players who suffered from injury after the 1st half. Ablett also had 3 at half time then 6 at 3 quarter time, so he'd already fired by the last quarter. It was also Ablett that hit Dippa, so I guess that helped his team just as much as the 9 goals.

With respect - there is now way known Dew was a better player during the 08 Grand Final. Yes, he broke the game open in that third quarter but Hodge was brilliant all day and did not win the medal due to the 'story.' He affected 20-odd F50 entries, kicked a huge goal and was inspirational all day.

Good post otherwise.
Respect that comment, yes he was inspirational and was probably a deserved winner in the end. It's just you couldn't have won without either of them.

Respect that comment, yes he was inspirational and was probably a deserved winner in the end. It's just you couldn't have won without either of them.

I think Sewell was within a shout of winning the medal too. IMO Hawthorn's very best players that day were Hodge, Sewell, Dew, Young and Ellis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back