2016/17 Perth Glory Thread-20 Years of Glory..Castro for Premier!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. Renewed my Shed Membership within the discount period. Looking forward to it.

I ran in to a friend who refused to sign up last year in protest at the salary cap debacle, and they've signed up again for this year.
That's awesome. I know they are targeting about 8500 members this year and they are just over halfway of that. Good to see that perhaps people are coming back. It's a really exciting team at the moment on paper.

Just received an email from the club that Chris Herd won't be joining the squad.

Interesting development and not sure what to make of it. I think our squad is still excellent.

Email from the Club:

Perth Glory Football Club would like to inform its members and supporters that today it has mutually terminated the playing contract of Chris Herd and as a result he will not be part of the 2016/17 squad.

The 27-year old Socceroo signed with Glory in May and was due to arrive in Perth next week, however he is unable to relocate to Australia with his family at this point in time and as such requested to terminate his contract.

Glory CEO Peter Filopoulos said while disappointed with the decision, the club needed to be sensitive to Herd’s needs.

“After considerable deliberation and in the best interests of the Herd family, the club will not stand in their way and we take this opportunity to wish Chris and his family the best in their next chapter”.

Perth Glory boasts 14 WA born or raised players including Adam Taggart, Rhys Williams and Rostyn Griffiths and after a successful tour of the Philippines, the club looks forward to its RD 32 Westfield FFA Cup match against Brisbane Roar on August 10 at Ballymore Stadium in Queensland.

#GLORYISOURS

Signed up again after not doing so last year.

Club is listening to fans, signing West Australians and making improvements with the game day experience. They also ****ed off the fans feedback committee or whatever is which is normally full of self promoting people anyway. The CEO has been the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already have my members pass. Normally you would be getting it in the post some 48 hours before the first home game.

Thought Joe Mills looked good tonight in his first hit out. Looks more direct than Warren.

Agreed. I liked Mills. How he goes against A-League opposition will be interesting, but good signs.

Rhys Williams looked a class above at centre back. I presume he'll be deployed more as a midfielder, but either way he looks a good signing.

We had a few holes in the middle of the pitch in patches playing a 4-4-2. Be interesting to see how we line up once Castro and Taggart join the squad. I guess either a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 with a diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with Taggart out wide.

I noticed in the cup game we went a 4-4-2. Seems to be doing this accommodate the Keogh-Taggart combo which I hope doesn't * our system that brought the best of Castro last season.

Agreed. I liked Mills. How he goes against A-League opposition will be interesting, but good signs.

Rhys Williams looked a class above at centre back. I presume he'll be deployed more as a midfielder, but either way he looks a good signing.

We had a few holes in the middle of the pitch in patches playing a 4-4-2. Be interesting to see how we line up once Castro and Taggart join the squad. I guess either a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 with a diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with Taggart out wide.
Rhys is going to destroy this league. I've seen a couple of training sessions and games and he's definitely a cut above. I think I only saw him make one bad pass all game and some amazing challenges, one that was given a foul when he easily got the ball. Him alone has got me excited to watch games this year.

I noticed in the cup game we went a 4-4-2. Seems to be doing this accommodate the Keogh-Taggart combo which I hope doesn't ****** our system that brought the best of Castro last season.
I was OS and didn't see the cup game - but that's exactly the dilemma isn't it? How to accommodate the creativity of Castro, and get the best out of Keogh and Taggart without giving up too much in the centre of the park.

Seems to me, if we play Castro, Keogh and Taggart then either Taggart has to play out wide or we will play a compact midfield, thereby sacrificing width (possibly forcing out Harold). Or maybe Keogh and Taggart will be competing for the one spot up top. Or he could start Castro out wide in a 4-4-2 and let him do as he pleases.

Not sure how the new midfielder Milan will fit in, and then there's Nebo as well.

Challenging and exciting decisions for Kenny to make.

I think when Chris Harold doesn't get a game then that is a good thing. Not that he's awful but he's a great super sub. I think Taggart could do that too. Fine with Milan playing the role of our other cheap eastern European labour as we need that box to box midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back