Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

6 weeks since my last decent run on account of injury tonight.

Anyone in Melbourne knows what I'm saying when I say it's about the nicest night you could imagine mid-July... Had no excuse.

Happy to crack double digits in a decent chunk of time without pushing it.

Paranoid about the ankle all run, didn't feel wrong at all but I've convinced myself I might have despite feeling a-okay.

Long time reader, first time poster on this thread. Doing the Run Melbourne half marathon next weekend and currently suffering from a calf strain. Haven't been able to train for two weeks. Thought it was better but set off for a run yesterday and only took about 50 metres before I had to abort.

I'm seeing an osteo tomorrow but anyone have any tips or anything on what I can do on race day to get through? Painkillers/anti inflamatries/ deep heat, I'm up for any ideas.

I'm determined to complete the half even if it means I'm limping/walking. I've been raising money for a good cause so pulling out is not an option.

Ended up finishing in 2hour 23min. Calf was sore the whole run, but got to half way point in an hour. The last 5km ended up walking/slow running due to the calf cramping which led to the slow time. Anyway, it was my first half marathon, so still stoked to finish.

Ended up finishing in 2hour 23min. Calf was sore the whole run, but got to half way point in an hour. The last 5km ended up walking/slow running due to the calf cramping which led to the slow time. Anyway, it was my first half marathon, so still stoked to finish.
Killer man. Yeah, last 5 always gets you.

Gotten out there, bug not quite bitten me yet but at least I'm putting up some KMs...

Good work mate.

Itll bite soon enough mate. Then youll be back ;)
I think it's the cold that's killing me right now to be fair haha.

Not quite as easy talking yourself into a run than a cruisy gym session.

Thinking about entering the Surf Coast Century 100K but I'm still a bit unsure whether it will be too much. Have done a couple of 50K training runs which went ok but the thought of running twice as far is daunting. Does anyone have any experience or advice about running that sort of distance?

Hi Gordo, l'm running the 50km at the SCC for the first time. Longest distance to date is 43.5km.
Wouldn't mind tackling a big one one day but not ready yet. Nor do l have the time for the required training. Probably not so much kms but time on your feet. A couple from our local running group have been doing a 100km training program for quite a while. Hats off to them with some very early starts in crap weather part of the mental battle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tight calves, sore shins and now I'm getting hip flexor pain.... arghhh!! Can be so frustrating when you have the motivation, energy and the will to run, but it feels like your body is conspiring against you. Time to try some pilates.

False alarm on my attempt at sub 20 5km at this month's group TT. Been feeling a bit off the last few days & with only 5 days until my 26km trail race decided to give it a miss. Hoping to get out for a longer run tomorrow arvo instead.

Tight calves, sore shins and now I'm getting hip flexor pain.... arghhh!! Can be so frustrating when you have the motivation, energy and the will to run, but it feels like your body is conspiring against you. Time to try some pilates.

That makes 3 of us. I'm absolutely loving running at the moment but had to abort yesterday with some minor swelling and bruising at the top of the left Achilles. Wasn't so bad I couldn't have run through it but would have really been hobbling. Hate missing any run at the moment.

Managed my longest run (32.2km) down the Prom Sunday and calves, hammys, quads, knees..... all great. No residual stiffness or soreness at all. 2 days later though the Achilles gradually stiffened up. Some anti inflams and ice last night.....will have another easy day today, then hopefully manage to get out for a jog Thursday. Hopefully nothing more than some of the old scar tissue after a broken leg years ago flaring up after Sunday's run, especially with all the changes in running pattern coming down the hills and avoiding the rocks etc

False alarm on my attempt at sub 20 5km at this month's group TT. Been feeling a bit off the last few days & with only 5 days until my 26km trail race decided to give it a miss. Hoping to get out for a longer run tomorrow arvo instead.
Yeah definitely the better option to take it easy that close to the race.

3 weeks to go til my marathon getting pretty excited and scared at the same time haha. Think im going to stuggle to take it easy in the last couple of weeks before the race as im fining it really easy to get out there and run at the moment.

Peaks & Trails 26km run at Dunkeld today. Learnt a valuable lesson on what not to do with fueling. Thought I'd be OK with no gels but after not having enough for breakfast l really struggled with the last 5kms. Will need to sort it out before the SCC 50km in 4 weeks.

First proper run in about 7 years... Been smoking bongs for those 7 years too.

Had a weird feelin in my chest for a lil bit.. But pushed through it.
lEdgCpJ.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back