Is there a Roughead "pact"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty vitriolic from some supporters. It's an interesting inquiry.

There wouldn't be a pact as such, but Roughy is a much loved, admired member of the Hawks squad, who has been a big part of Hawthorn's success over the past decade.

No doubt his absence would be a driving force but at the same time Hawthorn have always been a professional, well structured and determined outfit.

If we were honest Geelong were just better in that period and hardly lost to anyone. As soon as the Hawks added a few pieces, Gunston, Smith, Stratten, Pop, Hill, Lake (massive) and Geelong lost a few pieces, Ling, Scarlett, Ablett the tables turned.

There is no pact I suspect. Imagine the let down if you lost one. And they will lose one.

I'd respectfully disagree with that summary. In many of those games we found a way to lose against all odds.

I'd respectfully disagree with that summary. In many of those games we found a way to lose against all odds.

Or the better team just found a way to win. Like the Hawks have done time after time this year. I have no issue admitting Geelong were better. My memories of those games are that every single thing had to go right for the Hawks to win. And it never did. I also remember thinking Geelong got all the calls just like everyone thinks Hawthorn does now.

This is a really terrible thread. How can you actually make a pact to not lose?

I have no doubt that the entire club is committed to support Roughy in every way that they can. Making a pact to do something that you can't actually fully control, though - that strikes me as somewhat disrespectful of the seriousness of Roughy's situation. If you don't think it would be an actual pact then don't say that. In terms of vitriol I reckon you've actually gotten off pretty lightly.

Was Chappy's "never lose to Hawthorn again" pact just one he made with himself? If so, it worked, cos he didn't play in a losing side against us again till he left Geelong - and even then, it was only by a kick.

(He missed the '13 prelim. due to suspension.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back