How to kick better?

Remove this Banner Ad

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can get the ball to spin backwards and go straight but it is always lands a few metres left/right from the target.

Just keep practicing I suppose. I was having a few accuracy issues when I played last season and then a mate of mine told me to hold the ball further out in front before you drop it and that did wonders (set shots). Also keep a steady grip on the ball, don't move your arms around.

Keep practicing and keep your body straight and over the ball for better control. Also learn how your drop affects your kick, I'm a left footer do my kicks tend to swing left to right slightly sometimes and others go straight

Someone please help me! I've been trying to kick a football for 2 years but I can't do it. It keeps on dropping weirdly on my foot, spinning out of my hand. If it helps, i have a fairly high grip, about 3cm above the laces of the ball. Please, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Someone please help me! I've been trying to kick a football for 2 years but I can't do it. It keeps on dropping weirdly on my foot, spinning out of my hand. If it helps, i have a fairly high grip, about 3cm above the laces of the ball. Please, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

My tips to teaching people how to kick (based on Brendan Fevola's action and as of 2008 this is basically the way AFL taught the Irish how to kick when they came over)
(I) Grip
hand of the leg going to strike the ball should be (roughly) positioned so that the thumb is roughly in line with the top of the laces on the ball, and either the 3rd finger or pinky (based on what feels better) running down the seam. your hand will end up on the lower half of the ball
hand of the non-striking leg should be (roughly) positioned so that the knuckle of the 1st finger lines up with the thumb on the opposite hand. the pinky of this hand will either run down the stitching (if the pinky on the striking hand is on the seam) OR about a finger width in towards the middle of the ball (if the ring finger of the striking hand is on the same). Your hand will end up on the upper half of the ball.
Whether you guy the pinky or 3rd finger on seam route generally depends on how much arm movement you make before kicking, and also whether you're hunched over the ball or kick from a "taller" position. Rule of thumb (pun intended) is that if you have a bigger arm movement and/or kick from a taller position then you'll be in the pinky of seam club (ball is more horizontal when it leaves your hand), then, if you have a smaller arm movement and/or hunch over the ball you'll be in the 3rd finger club (ball is more vertical when it leaves your hand)
(II) planting your lead foot
the only hard and fast rule here is that your foot should be pointing in the direction you want the ball to travel (so if you are kicking slightly across your body you will need to rotate your leg outwards in order to achieve this)
(III) swinging through with striking leg
step IV will cover the direction by using some sneaky biomechanics but essentially you just want your leg to end up in the direction you want the ball to go
my only other suggestion is to forcefully plantar flexion your ankle (the action of going up onto your toes from a flat foot)
this will give you best distance and penetration (#becausephysics)
(IV) arm follow through
as your striking leg comes through you want the opposite arm to come across your body. because of the way our bodies tendons, ligaments and bones are structured this will actually stop your striking leg from hooking across your body too much. how far should your opposite arm come across your body?
when I kick my hand actually touches my opposite shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back