Questions for RFC_Official re VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

For pretty much the whole season - we can't live stream a game that Ch7 are covering (which we always knew about) or a game that does, or potentially could, cut across any time of their VFL broadcast. We're going to go down the audio streaming path again.
Frustrating, any way to film them and upload them later?

For pretty much the whole season - we can't live stream a game that Ch7 are covering (which we always knew about) or a game that does, or potentially could, cut across any time of their VFL broadcast. We're going to go down the audio streaming path again.

Hi RFC_Official, hope you don't mind an outsider coming in to ask a question, but will this audio streaming call be up and going for Sunday's game?

Hi RFC_Official ... Is the vfl game still scheduled for Friday night 6pm at punt Rd as written on the website?

As in the one v Geelong VFL next Friday, March 18? If so, yes. But I don't think gates will be open as it's just the listed VFL players taking part. At this stage all available AFL-listed players will take part in the intra-club the day before, which will be open.

As in the one v Geelong VFL next Friday, March 18? If so, yes. But I don't think gates will be open as it's just the listed VFL players taking part. At this stage all available AFL-listed players will take part in the intra-club the day before, which will be open.
Ah ok... Sorry thought it was this Friday with McBean and yarran etc... Thanks for the reply.

For cats fans interested also, given the gates aren't looking like being open, will there be a stream?

RFC_Official I've noticed VFL games 2016 on You Tube. Essendon Football Club have all their games up. Any chance we could do the same with our VFL games? I'm overseas and don't get to see any of the games. Thanks. :thumbsu:

That can't be an official account as I'm pretty sure that'd breach 7's broadcast contract.
From memory it's why we can't stream it

That can't be an official account as I'm pretty sure that'd breach 7's broadcast contract.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w-jdY26jz9BlYBifKJh0g Did seem legit to me.

I've just discovered 7 will let me watch their replays overseas. Normally I get blocked from 7 Plus. So for others o/s you can view on https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/vfl/

If the Essendon site is legit then I would like us to do similar on games not televised by 7.

How about it RFC_Official ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w-jdY26jz9BlYBifKJh0g Did seem legit to me.

I've just discovered 7 will let me watch their replays overseas. Normally I get blocked from 7 Plus. So for others o/s you can view on https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/vfl/

If the Essendon site is legit then I would like us to do similar on games not televised by 7.

How about it RFC_Official ?

Yep, that's not the official Essendon account, which is here https://www.youtube.com/user/bombertv

It's one we're going to chase up with 7 and AFL Vic though, as we only ever wanted to stream the games not on Channel 7. These videos, while not live or from an official club account, seem to be a bit too professional to let slide. Hopefully, they'll let us do similar and we can up our VFL coverage.

Yep, that's not the official Essendon account, which is here https://www.youtube.com/user/bombertv

It's one we're going to chase up with 7 and AFL Vic though, as we only ever wanted to stream the games not on Channel 7. These videos, while not live or from an official club account, seem to be a bit too professional to let slide. Hopefully, they'll let us do similar and we can up our VFL coverage.
Thanks RFC_Official it would be awesome if you can get this off the ground. Don't even mind if not live and would find it great (because of time differences) if the vision could be viewed on demand later.

And if you can't at least you've dobbed the cheats in!

Please. Channel 7 don't own the rights to all VFL football, if they did the VFL wouldn't be able to offer live streaming - what 7 do own is their own footage and commentary - reproducing that would breach their contract, however it would seem few other things do (see the 4th star).

* Collingwood offered a live stream of a VFL game from the Holden Centre earlier in the year (Williamstown maybe?) - no breach.
* Essendon offered all games bar Channel 7 games on the website last year with the Bomber Radio coverage overlaid as a commentary track - no issue
* Collingwood did similar last season but haven't seemed to bother much this season outside of the occasional game and highlights - no issue
* And Melbourne (of all clubs) have uploaded their own privately shot footage of every Casey game to their website this season (albeit without commentary seeing they don't have their own VFL radio coverage like Ess/Coll/Rich...maybe Geelong?l) and that includes the weekend's game covered by 7 - no breach evidently as it isn't live so it doesn't impact 7 any and they're not using 7's footage or commentary.

Please. Channel 7 don't own the rights to all VFL football, if they did the VFL wouldn't be able to offer live streaming - what 7 do own is their own footage and commentary - reproducing that would breach their contract, however it would seem few other things do (see the 4th star).

* Collingwood offered a live stream of a VFL game from the Holden Centre earlier in the year (Williamstown maybe?) - no breach.
* Essendon offered all games bar Channel 7 games on the website last year with the Bomber Radio coverage overlaid as a commentary track - no issue
* Collingwood did similar last season but haven't seemed to bother much this season outside of the occasional game and highlights - no issue
* And Melbourne (of all clubs) have uploaded their own privately shot footage of every Casey game to their website this season (albeit without commentary seeing they don't have their own VFL radio coverage like Ess/Coll/Rich...maybe Geelong?l) and that includes the weekend's game covered by 7 - no breach evidently as it isn't live so it doesn't impact 7 any and they're not using 7's footage or commentary.
I'll defer to RFC_Official on this, but I believe that that would be a breach and they do own the rights to any visual broadcast and that's why we had to stop our streaming (and why the other clubs would have)

I'll defer to RFC_Official on this, but I believe that that would be a breach and they do own the rights to any visual broadcast and that's why we had to stop our streaming (and why the other clubs would have)

Answered in the main thread:

Stig - has the VFL live stream been fixed so we can watch it on AppleTV via YouTube ?
Sorry to say nick1408 we can no longer stream Richmond VFL games on our website/YouTube due to Channel 7's broadcast deal with AFL Victoria. AFLVic stream a couple of games per week via their website, but we have nothing to do with it anymore.
Damn. Thanks for the update

Really think you're being fed a line here, either that or 7 is amenable to negotiating terms with clubs it just requires cash, what seems the most unlikely is an organisation like 7 that isn't short of funds to sue has an exclusive rights contract that they can't be bothered enforcing:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-07-26/a-tripleheader-of-live-vfl

Note that like their live stream earlier in the season, these will be official Collingwood streams as they're using their own audio...and the VFL is covering different games anyway.

RFC_Official Do you have any information re VFL coverage of games outside 7's broadcasts for 2017? Crossing fingers we can stream the non-broadcast games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back