WORST YEAR OF UMPIRING??

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon people say this every year, the problem though isn't really in the umpiring, it's the gooses at the Rules committee (looking at you Wayne Campbell) constantly tinkering and farting and changing interpretations and rules, almost on a weekly basis.

The incorrect disposal/chopping of the arms/deliberate out of bounds interpretations is like a weekly chook raffle these days, this is where many pundits get annoyed.

Reckon people say this every year, the problem though isn't really in the umpiring, it's the gooses at the Rules committee (looking at you Wayne Campbell) constantly tinkering and farting and changing interpretations and rules, almost on a weekly basis.

The incorrect disposal/chopping of the arms/deliberate out of bounds interpretations is like a weekly chook raffle these days, this is where many pundits get annoyed.

Yeah around the mid 2000s they got strict on hands in the back and coping the arms. Many said to strict, but at least you had a clear idea what was and wasn't allowed.

No, people whinge too much. After every AFL game, I can guarantee that I can go to their Facebook page claiming that it was the worst umpired game ever. People are dumb.

No, people whinge too much. After every AFL game, I can guarantee that I can go to their Facebook page claiming that it was the worst umpired game ever. People are dumb.

As a neutral...That was a bad game for the afl...not just the umps and saints

IT seems like it is, because they have loaded the sport up with s**t rules that are completely subjective - deliberate out of bounds, rushed behind rule, 15m kicks, protected area, even holding the ball are entirely up to how the umpire is feeling at that point in time, and there's nothing anyone can say against it.

Gold Coast player strolled past Nathan Jones after he'd taken a mark today, nothing. 12 weeks ago it's instant 50m.

When half of your rules rely on the officials trying to mindread the players, you're going to have serious issues.

I think the umpiring for the last few years has been bad. It's not one team, they are just consistently making bad errors. Some teams play with it to get more favourable results, others not so.

They really need to do something about it.

• Work on positioning - umpires are caught on the blindside.
  • Use zones of boundary umpires. If the play moves near a particular boundary, the boundary umpire then provides additional umpiring support to cover for blindside decisions that are in play. Boundary umpires don't adjudicate if play is beyond a certain distance
  • Simplify the rules and interpretations a bit. Easier said than done, but they really need to simplify the rules to make the decision making easier.
  • Let the boundary umpires do the throw in, so that the 3 umpires can instead look at the field work
  • Do some training with the umpires to recognise unconscious bias. All human beings have it, but the unconcious bias impact is recognised once one recognises where someone might be biased.
  • Get some common sense re head high frees. It's now practically a part time assistant coach position - "Head High Frees Coach". Don't pay them and revise rules.

Then see what happens and reassess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back