Resource The 2016 AFL Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool....ill b an interested on looker on the telly...
Be prepared for a less than aesthetically pleasing very scrappy game then, it's what we do in Tassie most times

GWS v RICH - 14,974 at Manuka oval

Record crowd, biggest ever at Manuka
Plenty of yellow & black in the crowd...Just wish we had something to cheer about...
Terrible performance...

That is an excellent roll up.

Would be interesting to compare the Manuka average crowd, peaks and lows against Spotless?

Hawthorn v Carlton evidently drew 18,112

That is an excellent roll up.

Would be interesting to compare the Manuka average crowd, peaks and lows against Spotless?

Hawthorn v Carlton evidently drew 18,112

Agree that took me by surprise was thinking before the game might get 10-12k but 15K wow!

Manic or wookie hopefully can show these figures...

Hawks v blues another big tassie crowd heard it was a sell out...

Credit where it's due, GWS seem to have done a brilliant job at engaging with Canberra. Highest aggregate and highest average (except for 2010 where only 1 game was played) for Manuka Oval all time.

To put it in context, the Raiders haven't had an average over 13k since 2003 and 14k since 1995.

With respect 2 of those 3 games were Geelong and Richmond. Not necessarily comparable with a full schedule of NRL home games...

For one reason or another the Raiders also play a disproportionate number of night games in Canberra which is just crazy...

With respect 2 of those 3 games were Geelong and Richmond. Not necessarily comparable with a full schedule of NRL home games...

Oh, i'm not saying the Giants are more popular or anything like that, i'm just making the point that it's not a great sports attending city. Like the Brumbies hosted a home final last week and didn't get 10k through the gates.

I am not really surprised about the Manuka crowd, Canberra is close to he Western suburbs of Sydney, close to the Northern Riverina and there are plenty of Richmond and footy followers in Canberra, add to that GWS has quite a few Canberra kids in its academy and they engaged plenty of people and families.

GWS also plays an exciting brand and perhaps that is the biggest kicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is amazing what happens to Hawthorns Launny crowds when a big Victorian team comes to town and the game didnt promise to be a complete killing. Carlton showed they could be competitive last week and the week before.

Has always been the problem with the Hawks in tassie. I would even go as far to say that Hawthorns success has been a detriment to their crowds down in tassie.

Meanwhile, last week's Dons win only provides a very minor bounce to Brisbane's home crowd tonight; their 13k crowd is their biggest for a few matches but obviously still dire.

Only upside is that their final two games are against Blues & Cats, and their support should finally see them get in the 15-20k range again.

For one reason or another the Raiders also play a disproportionate number of night games in Canberra which is just crazy...

I've been to pretty much every game in Canberra since they were playing them out at Bruce stadium a long time ago. Might have missed one GWS or North game.

I can confirm that playing night games in Canberra in June, July and early August and you're just telling people that you don't want them to come to the game.
Yesterday in the sun was nice but when the shade came over it got very cold very quickly.

There was a game starting at 7pm last night at Manuka as well. NEAFL one. I'm not sure many would have stuck around to witness that

It was a good crowd though. I'm sure a few North games hit over 14k though from memory. GWS have done a much better job here than North ever did though

I've been to pretty much every game in Canberra since they were playing them out at Bruce stadium a long time ago. Might have missed one GWS or North game.

I can confirm that playing night games in Canberra in June, July and early August and you're just telling people that you don't want them to come to the game.
Yesterday in the sun was nice but when the shade came over it got very cold very quickly.

There was a game starting at 7pm last night at Manuka as well. NEAFL one. I'm not sure many would have stuck around to witness that

It was a good crowd though. I'm sure a few North games hit over 14k though from memory. GWS have done a much better job here than North ever did though

History tells the story of Canberra football, in 1953 the local GF between Queanbeyan and Ainslie attracted over 3,500 people, more than one in 10 people living in Canberra at the time, grand finals between Manuka and Eastlake attracted crowds similar in the 1930's, in 1991 6,000 people witnessed Queanbeyan beat Southern Districts.

The support has always been there, it is just most people have moved on from local club football as supporters and follow teams higher up the food chain, that is now the AFL.

Definitely possible but Dogs getting just 26k versus St. Kilda was really poor and with injuries and losses since then, how much bigger will the crowd be versus NM? 30-35k at a guess.

Last night's crowd for North vs St Kilda of 44,287 was a record for the two clubs at Docklands (and therefore, also a record for matches since 2000).

After having looked through many of the matches between the two from the 90s as well, I believe it could be an all-time record. The two certainly haven't played in many big home and away matches.

Anyone have confirmation one way or the other?

Last night's crowd for North vs St Kilda of 44,287 was a record for the two clubs at Docklands (and therefore, also a record for matches since 2000).

After having looked through many of the matches between the two from the 90s as well, I believe it could be an all-time record. The two certainly haven't played in many big home and away matches.

Looking at AFL tables it looks like a H/A record, the only other match higher was the 1997 Prelim which got 77,531....the only final between the two (since 1925).

The 2nd highest was 41,644 in 2004 where St.kilda were equal 1st and North were 7th.

It was a terrific crowd but given the occasion certainly not unexpected. Every North member would've been there last night. Great crowd.

An ordinary crowd again at the G for Pies V Eagles. Same as Essendon V Brisbane at Ethihad a week earlier. The Pies crowds have really fallen away the last 2-3 years, understanding they have far from set the world on fire. They are not going well this year granted, but they're not 'deplorable' as their crowds would indicate. They could still only narrowly miss the finals. I can't remember the last year they drew sub 1M aggregate in a season(excl years where MCG under refurbishment)? Two home crowds in a year at the G sub 30K, with Suns potentially another still to come. I think their crowds are part of a wider concern in Victoria around attendances, 'Boomers' followers last night aside..

Great crowd in Canberra. Clearly the Giants are starting to resonate north of the Murray and the Tigers represented well as expected.

It was a terrific crowd but given the occasion certainly not unexpected. Every North member would've been there last night. Great crowd.

An ordinary crowd again at the G for Pies V Eagles. Same as Essendon V Brisbane at Ethihad a week earlier. The Pies crowds have really fallen away the last 2-3 years, understanding they have far from set the world on fire. They are not going well this year granted, but they're not 'deplorable' as their crowds would indicate. They could still only narrowly miss the finals. I can't remember the last year they drew sub 1M aggregate in a season(excl years where MCG under refurbishment)? Two home crowds in a year at the G sub 30K, with Suns potentially another still to come. I think their crowds are part of a wider concern in Victoria around attendances, 'Boomers' followers last night aside..

Great crowd in Canberra. Clearly the Giants are starting to resonate north of the Murray and the Tigers represented well as expected.
How was Essendon's crowd against Brisbane last week "ordinary"?

How was Essendon's crowd against Brisbane last week "ordinary"?
It wasn't ordinary, it was outstanding..

Point being, a bottom of the ladder clash at Ethihad drew as well as a much stronger fixture at the G. Not saying the crowd yesterday was terrible, it was ordinary for obvious reasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back