Top 5 best grand final performances for no Norm Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

5. Micheal Voss (2002)
-Buckley deserved his medal, but they could have awarded it to Micheal Voss. Basically if I was watching it in 2002 I would have been content with Voss winning, but I also would have been content with Buckley winning, so this decision doesn't bother me Voss just played a ripper too.

4. Matthew Scarlett (2007)
-Sometimes the judges will vote for whoever would have the best story as a norm smith medal, someone who would be good material for a documentary for example. Although Steve Johnson was good (I don't think anyone wearing blue and white actually played badly that day) I don't think he was the best on ground. To me it was the fact that he looked like moving clubs at one point because he was such a problem child but he managed to turn it around, not because he was the BOG.

3. Dan Hanneberry (2012)
-O'Keefe was good, but bloody hell Hanneberry was the clear stand out for me. I often watch the 2012 grand final over and over (because it's a bloody good watch) and I shake my head everytime Hanneberry does something sensational, knowing he didn't win the medal, but I guess in the end every player only really wants the premiership medallion.

2. Stuart Dew (2008)
If you don't know what I'm on about, you just haven't watched the '08 grand final, he had pivotal moment after pivotal moment, he was involved in almost all of Hawthorn's 3rd quarter goals (either kicking them or setting them up) and that was the quarter that actually won it for the Hawks. Hodge in 2014 was my clear BOG, but not in 2008, again the story is mainly is what sealed the Norm Smith for Luke, who was suffering from broken ribs and managed to put together an inspirational performance in front of over 100,000 people...But Dew was better.

1. Brendon Goddard (1st 2010 GF)
-Don't get me wrong, Lenny was pretty bloody good, so was Goddard however. By far the best performance for no medal
I agree 100% here. I have no idea how he didnt win the medal. Litterally was everywhere that day and nearly won the game with the massive mark.

5. Peter Burgoyne - 2004
4. Fitzpatrick - 1981
3. Hannebery - 2012
2. Voss - 2002
1. Goddard - 2010 draw

Ablett booted 6 goals up until three quarter time.
He would kick three more in the last quarter and have a say in one other by setting up Neville Bruns who goaled 40 out on the run.
He killed Maginness and Hawthorn made the change and put Langford on him in the last quarter. That didn't work either.

DiPierdomenico was very good but Ablett had nearly the same number of possessions plus an extra 8 goals to his name. Arguably the greatest grand final performance of all time.
Langford went on to him in the dying minutes of the second qtr and spent the entire second half on him.

In 1982 Fitzpatrick was pretty good, however he did play on an injured Moore which always helps. Doull was always going to win though, always played a blinder.
Wayne Johnston created the first two goals of the game virtually within a minute.
The guy was coming back from 2 week suspension and was ready to go like a caged lion let loose.

I think in 87 grand final he also was instrumental at the start.
Funny story at start of that grand final. He intended to line Dipper up at first bounce but he noticed Hawks had too many players in square and told the umpire and umpire was forced to give him a free kick to start the grand final rather that have his moment of bouncing the ball to start a grand final. About ten minutes later Johnston did whack Dipper. Same umpire reported it. Johnston being the character he is, said why did you report me it is Dipper , he deserves a whack. Ump apparently told him you pissed me off stealing my moment in sun of bouncing ball at the start. This is my pay back... ha ha.

Anyway back on topic. Johnston was very good in all 4 the grand finals we won in his time. Think he was a bit stiff not to win a Norm Smith at some time in 79, 81, 82 and 87 grand finals. Funny that Harmes won the 1979 Norm Smith. I think it was first of the medals given out and he was related to the Norm Smith family. Think his auntie presented the medal to him. I actually thought Harmes was better in the 1981 grand final. Kicked goal of day and took mark of the day in that grand final.

In 1982 Fitzpatrick was pretty good, however he did play on an injured Moore which always helps. Doull was always going to win though, always played a blinder.

BTW, Moore did not play in the 1982 grand final. Peter Moore played with Collingwood in 1981 grand final against us. Fitzpatrick was injured from memory, rucking with a broken hand. Fair effort for a ruck

BTW, Moore did not play in the 1982 grand final. Peter Moore played with Collingwood in 1981 grand final against us. Fitzpatrick was injured from memory, rucking with a broken hand. Fair effort for a ruck
yeah that's what I meant sorry, don't know why I said '82, that was Richmond-Carlton obviously.

1980-Kevin Bartlett 7 goals BOG

Funnily enough - he probably wasn't. He was in the (pretty clear) top 4. Lee was great, as was Raines. Cloke was frightening, and kicked 6. Most commentators votes had Lee/Raines as top.

But it was a classic 'story' Norm Smith. Bartlett had broken the all-times games record in the qualifying against Carlton (and kicked 6 in the game), he kicked 8 out of 14 in the 2nd semi against the only real challenger (Geelong). All the talk was about 'How do we stop the Old Guy?', 'Can he set a Finals Goalkicking record?' etc.

With that build-up he probably would have got the medal if he kicked 3 or 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree 100% here. I have no idea how he didnt win the medal. Litterally was everywhere that day and nearly won the game with the massive mark.
Buckley won because in those days the votes were collected 10mins before end of the match. At that point match was in the balance & voss had an epic last 10mins. Including that game saving mark

Max Rooke - 2009. Lots of little 'one percenters' in amongst the more obvious heroics.

Such a key player in that premiership. He had blokes looking over their shoulders after he caught one who wasn't. Made the difference in what was a very tough match. Saints dead stiff not to win a flag that year. The ghost of 08 helped us over the line in that one.

Hodge was best on ground in 2008...more important than Ablett, and ridiculous to suggest Dew was better...

The best non winner of all time was Voss by a street...absolutely utterly robbed, and was the reason they stopped finalising the count before the end of the match. They changed the rules because of him - enough said...

L

R

T

medium.jpg

Sewell in 2013 would have been Norm Smith if Hawks win. He was the best player that day but I'm not against it going to the winning side if it's a line ball call as it was...

How has no-one mentioned Darren Jarman but? His final quarter in 1997 is without peer. I love what Dewy did at the Hawks, but really? If your too young youtube Jarman's last term in 1997. The most unlucky....

Tom Boyd was massive this year. He should've won it.

I've read that a few people really rated Damien Monkhorst's game in 1990. Taking on Madden and Somerville and playing pretty well.

Shaw, Thomas or Sidebottom in 2010 replay.

I've always wondered about the 1997 GF. The Crows led by 10 points going into the last quarter. Let's say St Kilda kicked four goals to two in the final term to win a thriller. Who would have won the medal then? Robert Harvey (36d 1 goal)? Nathan Burke (33d 1 goal)? Aussie Jones (29d 1 brilliant goal)? Barry Hall (19d 3 goals, maybe one or two more in the final term)? Obviously, a lot of things change in that final term, but it's interesting to speculate.

I've always thought Kennedy Snr in 83 and often think the umpires mistakingly thought Robertson was at times him because they looked reasonably similar.
Voss should have won over Buckley,in fact I'm not happy with any of the losing side winners except for perhaps Ablett Snr.
Cloke should have won in 1980,he was completely dominate although Bartlett kicked more goals,all the winners are deserving though,people just have different opinions on who they thought was the actual best.
This year I thought Macrae was best and the more I watch the replay the more convinced I am. No one else agrees so there you go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back