Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing about IF is there are so many experts that advocate you must eat food and they get worried you have a disorder, if they only knew how you feel on it! Currently I'm on top of the world and training as strong as ever. So go figure

One thing about IF is there are so many experts that advocate you must eat food and they get worried you have a disorder, if they only knew how you feel on it! Currently I'm on top of the world and training as strong as ever. So go figure

Yeah I was chatting to a workmate the other day and he asked what I normally eat for breakfast. When I told him I don't eat breakfast I got the predictable concerned response "Oh, but that's so bad for you!"

I didn't tell him that I haven't even been eating lunch either lately lol.

Now I just dismiss any of that stuff with "Nah, fasting is good for you. Google it"

I did a 36 hour fast the other day. I felt so energised the next day. I think i might start doing a 36 hour once a week.
Gday Nicky, good to see you back.
Do it. I've been doing 36hr fasts every week for quite a few years now.
It's still the best thing going.

Check out this cat. He's kinda zen, kinda weird.

It's a very spartan existence but his science is spot on.

If I may ask, what does your sleep patterns/ fasting patterns look like?
Once a week I fast for 36 hours. On the fasting night I only sleep about 3 or 4 hours, but after I break the fast will lift weights hard then sleep for 6 hours.

I also have daily naps every day in the early afternoon. Like a siesta.

Notice in the video above the guy says once he went on the current regime he sleeps half as much as he used to.

Digesting food is very taxing on the body. When you fast regular you don't need as much sleep as a regular person.

Been meaning to share a little anecdote from uni this year.

I was in a class where we had to do this exercise where a string of numbers would briefly appear, then disappear before a single number flashed up on the screen. You had to try recall whether the second number had appeared as part of the original string then hit left arrow for yes, right for no, as quickly as possible. The results measured a balance of accuracy and reaction time. There were about 40 questions and only two people got all of them correct - me and this other guy.

The tutor then talked about factors that could influence results, such as how not eating a proper breakfast would decrease your mental sharpness, and asked this guy and I what we had eaten that day. It was about 4pm at that stage and she was amazed when both of us said we hadn't eaten anything since the night before.

Fasting 2, breakfast 0.

I go into all my exams fasted now no matter what time they are and I always feel sharp and on the ball.

evo really likes this.

I've been following the Warrior diet protocol lately, having one huge meal once my day is done. Haven't been ultra-strict about it - occasionally I might feel especially hungry around 5pm, so I'll have something to eat then as well as later - but mostly I haven't been eating til around 10pm each day.

It becomes quite a comforting routine, relaxing and feasting to your heart's content before bed after feeling like you've accomplished everything you needed to that day in fasted god mode.
does it recommend 10 pm for the meal? Seems odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here still play footy and IF? I'm interested to give this a go again after trialling it 2 years ago for mixed results.

Long story short, I used IF & Low Carb (under 30g carbs a day) throughout the off season (around now till November) to get my body in great 'looking' shape. I used footy specific gym programs & running programs, putting on a bit of muscle, getting vascular (legs looked like road maps - good for the ego), but not increasing my general running fitness at all. In fact, I think that deteriorated from season previous of usual 'footy eating', high carb meals etc.

My goals are to increase fitness foremost, increase muscle mass & drop fat, all in that order.

Interested to hear how any footy playing IFers go about it.

*Any running or weights would likely be in the afternoon, in line with footy training.

*I don't necessarily need to go back to low carb, but happy to use IF.

I have been fasting since Sunday morning, but had 3 almonds and 3 pistachios earlier today as I was offered (a whole bowl of) them by a client and felt rude to refuse, especially given that I don't speak their language. I am not too anal about it though, it is more important to me to show appreciation of others hospitality (when I can't explain why I am refusing) than stick hard to a fast - I know it isn't a pure fast, but still better than throwing in the towel and heading to the closest Curry House! I will keep going until I feel my work is still suffering after I have tried utilising strategies and tactics like drinking water, cold water, going for a walk etc. So far though, apart from a fuzzy head Monday morning, all is good :)

What supplements to others find helpful while fasting? Magnesium seems to ward of the headache feeling for me - anything else I should try? I am drinking a lot of water, and 2-3 cups of black coffee or green tea per day (but no hot drinks after 2pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back