Repercussions of the axe: Who fills the shoes, Who is recruited

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be happy cutting the res tof the over 30's and hunt GWS reserve players, plenty of talent and we'll have the cash. Be Big and Bold xx
ditto I'd have no issue getting rid of Waite, Gibson, Ray, Nahas and even Wells.

the only one id consider keeping from that list for 1 more year is wells

1976? We made the grand final that year!

Last wooden spoon was 1972. That season we won only one match. But the rise to the top began the following year. Players who made their debut that year were: (Age in brackets)

Burns (24), Michalcyk (22), Nolan (24), Schimmelbusch (20) and the 10 year rule players Davis (29), Wade (31) and Rantall (29).

North already had existing stars in Briedis, Cowton, Dench, Greig, Henshaw, Kekovich, Montgomery and Sutton, all of whom improved under new coach Barassi.

It will be up to North's existing good players to step up and become more consistent. There is a lot of experience to cover. There was not such a purge of experience even in 1972.

How the hell would you get a contracted josh kelly deal done???

I could be wrong but i am pretty certain the Tom Boyd was contracted to the GWS when the Bulldogs signed him to that big long term deal. if so it can be done.

I've no problem replacing 3 of them.

EVW will directly replace Spud.

I actually think our forward line will function a lot better without Drew.

Clarke will take Dals spot.

Boomer is the big one - but you can't replace someone like that, we've just got to nail the draft in the next 2 years.

JOM would be nice.

Not sure I agree that the forward line will be better without Drew. I think he's a key reason (and Waite being out), our conversion rate from forward entries has been poor since Round 10. A large part of our game revolves around a long bomb to Drew at CHF, who either takes a contested grab, wins possession himself or brings it to ground for others.

We'll need to have a major change of game plan without Drew and that always takes time for players to adjust to. My feeling is we'll have a pretty poor season in 2017 primarily due to the Drew factor.

Not sure I agree that the forward line will be better without Drew. I think he's a key reason (and Waite being out), our conversion rate from forward entries has been poor since Round 10. A large part of our game revolves around a long bomb to Drew at CHF, who either takes a contested grab, wins possession himself or brings it to ground for others.

We'll need to have a major change of game plan without Drew and that always takes time for players to adjust to. My feeling is we'll have a pretty poor season in 2017 primarily due to the Drew factor.

Brown and Wood is just so much more dynamic. Especially if Wood is the main banana.

We will hopefully get 15-20 games out of Waite next year, and then blood McKay and Durdin in those other games.

Not keen on O'Meara and Swallow considering the amount we'd need to cough up to get them. Money as well as first round picks for injury prone players. Plus GC are a bitch to deal with.

Would rather go after the likes of Steele, WHE and Hibberd who would cost us considerably less.

Plus trade out the likes of Mullet, Hansen, Swallow, Black, McKenzie etc. upgrade our picks and goto the draft.

The NMFC is not the kind that bottoms out (last wooden spoon was 1976 i believe), so what is going to save us from a wooden spoon in the next few years?

Lets go through the delistings/retirements:

MICHAEL FIRRITO:
273 North Games
2003-2016

Who are the replacement candidates?

Ed Vickers-Willis seems to be the preferred option, dominating VFL since his injury return.
Brad McKenzie although not necessarily a fan favourite from what I've gathered, he has a heap of potential, and I can definitely see him becoming an important shinboner of the future.
Aaron Mullett has his strengths and can be a real x-factor off half-back, but can be costly as well. Important future player, but could also be dangled as trade bait.

Luckily, I feel Firrito's position is covered. Thanks to him for being of high service, and a severely underrated player. Go back and watch him as a 21yo in that Carlton game in 2003 where Wellsy kicked a goal after the siren. Was very impressive, and continued that until the end (after a poor 2013).

DREW PETRIE:
314 North Games
2001-2016

Mason Wood will be in prime position to take Petrie's role as a main target. So much talent and potential there.
Majak Daw will also very much be in the mix to push for that role. Just a bit behind Wood, 2018 looms as an exciting time for our forward line with Ben Brown, Majak Daw and Mason Wood forming a formidable partnership for the future
Ben McKay has a bright future ahead of him. With time, he will make his way into the forward line, allowing for the more nimble Mason Wood to play more of a mid/fwd role similar to that of Shaun Higgins currently.
Sam Durdin is the same. Bright future with a chance to push for that forward line.

Once again, we are blessed to have this position covered for the future. Thanks to Dish for being a legend of our club and especially allowing for us to have hope post-Carey era. We will forever be indebted to you. Watch Arch's 300th game, or at least, its 1st quarter.

NICK DAL SANTO:
60 North Games
2014-2016

Trent Dumont has shown a lot of promise in 2015-16, with chances given sparingly, he has excelled. Good user of the ball, good inside and outside, great kick inside 50, he shows a heap and could be a star of the future. Having lost NDS, it gives Dumont a shot at a permanent spot on the team, however, with both NDS and Harvey gone, it is going to be a struggle. Would be the perfect replacement for either, but with both gone as a team, our ball use will go down.

Jed Anderson has a heap of talent and potential, but has not shown much of it in his time at North thus far, but, to be fair to him, injuries have weighed him down. A move inside could be good for him, just to get some confidence, and, when confident, he is a highly skilled player by foot. Really strong tackler.

Ryan Clarke will improve with more confidence, but can certainly find that ball. When his kicking improves, we will see a strong midfield unit again.

There is depth here, and with time, once again, Dal Santo is replaceable. However, may be a little stiff being moved on, with both disposals, and its efficiency, up in the last 8 weeks. Dal began the trend for us which determined that we can be a destination for players to desire, and as a club we owe him a lot. He bought into the Shinboner attitude, and, in 2014 v Hawthorn, when we really needed him, stood up. We ended up winning that game on the back of Nick and Drew. Thus began the belief we could mix it with the big boys. Nick Dal Santo has helped us out a bunch, and we owe him for his stay. Thanks, Nick.

BRENT HARVEY:
430 North Games
1996-2016

Kayne Turner is probably the best fit. Wirey young kid with a chip on his shoulder. Nobody could replace Boomer. We know that, but he at least has a chance to.

Devastated Boomer's time is approaching so fast. Should be playing next year, as we have nobody to fill his shoes. In my eyes its the wrong call. No doubt. So sad it came to this.

Feel free to discuss who we can bring into North from the outside, who you want, and just your thoughts on today's shock announcement.

For me this is who we should/will target with the salary cap we have (will is in bold):

Nat Fyfe (2017) - 24
Jaeger O'Meara (2016) - 22
Lewis Taylor (2017) - 20
Jack Steele (2016) - 20
Andrew Gaff (2018) - 24
Jack Martin (2017) - 21
Nathan Hrovat (2016) - 22
Jake Stringer (2018) - 22 nb Jake Stringer grew up a North fan
Michael Hibberd (2016) - 26
David Swallow (2016) - 23
Brett Deledio (2016) - 29
Michael Barlow (2016) - 28
Chris Mayne (2016) - 27
Tyrone Vickery (2016) - 26

Will add to this list as I or others see fit. Let's stay positive and realise what we can achieve as a club over the next 5 years.
Thing that inpresses me about evw or beetle as i like to call him aha is he has bugger all senior footy and has been more then imoressive! Would also throw in hibberd there for either a hbf role or somewhere in the midfield! Seems to be growing as a player and probably shows the most excitement imo from his highlights!

Brown and Wood is just so much more dynamic. Especially if Wood is the main banana.

We will hopefully get 15-20 games out of Waite next year, and then blood McKay and Durdin in those other games.

Agreed, but Brown might struggle with a better defender each week. Wood could be elite.

McKay and Durdin are still developing, give them 2-3 more years before they make an impact.

Agreed, but Brown might struggle with a better defender each week. Wood could be elite.

McKay and Durdin are still developing, give them 2-3 more years before they make an impact.

It's not years worth of evidence but I think Brown has shown quite clearly over the last 5-6 weeks that he is more than capable of anchoring that forward line. Has been our best big forward and has been getting the closest attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows what was said behind closed doors last year. Boomer and the club may have agreed to give him the record breaking year and that's it.

Ship A Swallow off to GC and throw $$ at O'Meara.

Get some more speed with the rest of our picks and $$$.

O'Meara would be thrilled with our LTI players coming back for half a game then going straight back to the injured list.

He'd rather go to Melbourne, where nobody tries hard enough to get hurt.

Sauce's ?
The O'Meara thing was just a wish of mine when I made the post, but then Channel 7 said we had offered $2.5 mill over unknown years to him just tonight... Interesting.

As for Steele, I believe there is an Age/Herald Sun article out there linking us?? But nothing to confirm that

new players will be great, new approach to the game would be better.

This is the time for a white paper approach, no set gameplan, no best 22. Put together the team as if the 40 players just arrived and go from there. I saw one persons team have Gibson, Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Dumont and Jacobs in the team. Stuff that, lets build a team that can challenge the top sides consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back